Will unlocking a cpu or gpu increase power consumption?

MrComputerGuy

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
I was wondering if unlocking a cpu or gpu increases power consumption since I unlocked my cpu.

I have a x3 740 running at stock 3.00ghz. I unlocked it to a x4 40 running at 3.00ghz. It says that my x3 740 is a 95w cpu while it's unlocked it ranks slightly better than a x4 955 which is a 125w cpu. Does that change the amount of power needed to power it?

Here is another example.

If I unlocked a hd 6950 to a hd 6970 will the power needed to power a hd 6950 which is 200watts change to the power needed to power a hd 6970 which is 250watts?

Will there be no increase of consumption at all or will it increase depending if its a gpu or a cpu?

I know this isn't exactly overclocking, but I couldn't find anywhere else to put it.

Solution
Yes, that does change the amount of power you need to power it, but, that does not mean you need a new PSU or that you need to change the voltages in the BIOS. Of course Unless you made changes to the voltages before unlocking any cores.

You need to leave the Voltages to Auto if you didn't need to overvolt to open a core. The mobo will be capable of handling the little extra power needed to get the processor to work with all cores.

The other example is of course not upto that extent of the 6970, it will require more power to run the 6950 at 6970 but it won't be touching the power requirements of a 6970 you can say it'll go from 200 to 210-220 W beyond that the power circuitry won't allow it to go.

It's like enabling another extra...
Yes, that does change the amount of power you need to power it, but, that does not mean you need a new PSU or that you need to change the voltages in the BIOS. Of course Unless you made changes to the voltages before unlocking any cores.

You need to leave the Voltages to Auto if you didn't need to overvolt to open a core. The mobo will be capable of handling the little extra power needed to get the processor to work with all cores.

The other example is of course not upto that extent of the 6970, it will require more power to run the 6950 at 6970 but it won't be touching the power requirements of a 6970 you can say it'll go from 200 to 210-220 W beyond that the power circuitry won't allow it to go.

It's like enabling another extra gear in the gearbox of a car. The engines Max RPM remains the same, the system just changes it's gears to accommodate another speed bracket.

Solution

MrComputerGuy

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011

Thanks a lot for a very informative answer :D

TRENDING THREADS