PC Restarting before BIOS

tpenrod

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Ordered a new PC which came in yesterday. Played on it for about 16 hours then did a windows update before going to bed. Comp failed on the restart and would shut off after about 2 seconds. Now it will just turn on and off on its own. On for 2-3 seconds off... on again by itself then off etc.. I've checked all the cables unplugged/plugged back in, moved ram. When I took the mothoboard battery out to reset the CMOS it booted up again normally and worked. I then restarted just to make sure it wasn't a fluke and it failed on the restart again and is now doing the same problem on/off every 2-3 seconds.
I got this computer from cyberpowersystem.com

Specs:
CPU: Intel(R) CoreT i7-860 2.80 GHz 8M L2 Cache
LGA1156
MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX] GigaByte GA-P55A-UD3 Intel P55 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2 x SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 3 PCI
POWERSUPPLY: 700 Watts Power Supplies
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 1GB 16X PCI Express

qazxcbb

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

On my XP unit I would go into bios & try the fail safe defaults, if success, try the optimized defaults. Hope it helps
Regards
qazxcbb

velcrocore

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I was building a system with this same motherboard. Mine was turning on and off ever couple seconds, until I unplugged the "reset" cable that runs to the front of the computer from the motherboard. I'm not sure if the reset button was stuck, but it works now.

good luck!

eienfantasy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
I just got hit with the same problem. I've been using this since last August and had never given me a problem. I have a GIGABYTE EP45-UD3L motherboard. Before I unplugged the reset switch cable I did notice there were some dust collected around the that area, do you think that might've created this problem? I've cleaned the dust out and unplugged it, then try turning it on, but it still flicks on and off.