Sign in with
Your question

No Video On First Boot

Last response: in Systems
August 9, 2009 12:09:38 AM

My computer worked fine, but I just replaced the motherboard, processor and RAM, so my rig now appears as follows:

Xclio Blackhawk Case
MSI 770-C45 motherboard
AMD Phenom II 955 BE 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Patriot 2x2GB DDR3 1600MHz Viper Gaming Memory
1TB Seagate Barracuda HD
500GB Western Digital Green Drive
BFG 260 Core 216 Graphics Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion Series
LINKSYS WMP300N PCI Wireless Card
550W Cooler Master PSU
(tell me if I left out any parts)

When I turn the computer on, power seems to run through it fine, and everything seems to be working, but there is no video. It's plugged in alright, but the screen stays inactive (powered on, but the light is orange instead of green meaning there is no signal and the screen stays blank). The fan on my graphics card spins up, so it appears to be working. Do I need a stronger PSU? A different graphics card? Did I possibly hook something up wrong? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reese

More about : video boot

August 9, 2009 12:19:10 AM

Are the two 6 pin power cables connected?
August 9, 2009 12:53:41 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

This checklist is in a sticky at the top of the forum to help in troubleshooting problems exactly like this. #2 on the checklist is the most common mistake. Is the 4-pin CPU power connector is plugged in? The connector is a black 4-pin plug that's a little hard to see on your board. It's in the upper-left corner of the board when it's installed in the system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=1...

If that's plugged in, I'd focus on the RAM next. Are you sure you're using the correct RAM slots? Have you tried each stick of RAM by itself in each RAM slot? You'll probably need to boot up with one stick then manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturer's specs to bet both sticks working.
Related resources
August 9, 2009 3:23:44 AM

shortstuff_mt said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

This checklist is in a sticky at the top of the forum to help in troubleshooting problems exactly like this. #2 on the checklist is the most common mistake. Is the 4-pin CPU power connector is plugged in? The connector is a black 4-pin plug that's a little hard to see on your board. It's in the upper-left corner of the board when it's installed in the system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=1...

If that's plugged in, I'd focus on the RAM next. Are you sure you're using the correct RAM slots? Have you tried each stick of RAM by itself in each RAM slot? You'll probably need to boot up with one stick then manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturer's specs to bet both sticks working.

Thanks for the suggestions, and that was exactly what I tried first. I did it again just to double check, but with the same results. The cpu power was definitely plugged in and I tried each stick of RAM in single slots, but still to no avail. Any other suggestions?
August 9, 2009 12:43:28 PM

reesehyde said:
Any other suggestions?

My only suggestion is to start going through every step in the checklist. Everything I could think to suggest is contained in the checklist.
August 9, 2009 7:29:08 PM

cmichael138 said:
Are the two 6 pin power cables connected?

Yes, they are.

I did realize another potential problem, however. The specs on the motherboard read
"Memory Standard: DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600(OC)"

I'm using DDR3 1600. Since there's that OC note next to it, do I need to first boot with slightly slower RAM and then change settings in the BIOS, then put in the 1600? To be honest I never thought much of the OC next to it; I just assumed that I could use 1600 MHz memory.
August 10, 2009 9:45:13 AM

i "think"(emphasis on think) it that the memory itself is overclocked.
August 10, 2009 2:30:56 PM

fjc1998 said:
i "think"(emphasis on think) it that the memory itself is overclocked.

Yes, I certainly wouldn't be surprised. That means that I should probably pop some slower DDR3 in there and then set the frequencies, timings, etc. in the BIOS right? I'm completely new to overclocking, sorry :) 

And one more update: I put both sticks of RAM in the first two (both the black slots) spots and tried it and the monitor light changed from green to orange for 2 or 3 seconds (nothing showed up on the screen however) and then went blank. It looked to me like it went blank when the motherboard began "starting things up"--the light on the optical drive came on and I heard it spin up, hard drives started spinning, etc. I turned it off, took the RAM out and moved it to the two blue slots to see if it worked there. I turned it on, and just the same old orange light. I moved it back to the two black slots, and my luck was gone. Just the orange light. I also tried switching the two sticks in the black slots with each other, but still no luck :( 

Any help/interpretation of this greatly appreciated!
August 10, 2009 3:05:23 PM

The different manufacturers have different color schemes, but this is what your manual says about the RAM:

"In Dual-Channel mode, make sure that you install memory modules of the same
type and density in different channel DIMM slots.

To enable successful system boot-up, always insert the memory modules into
the DIMM1 first."

DIMM1 is the black slot closest to the CPU. That is the slot you should be trying each stick of RAM in. If it boots with either stick of RAM in DIMM1 you could then set the RAM speed/timings/voltage and try installing the other stick of RAM. I believe on your motherboard you would install the second stick of RAM in the first blue slot so there is just one black slot empty between them in order to run them in dual-channel mode.

I don't believe you should be using both black or blue slots together. You usually have a stick of RAM in each color like described above.
August 10, 2009 3:39:08 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
The different manufacturers have different color schemes, but this is what your manual says about the RAM:

"In Dual-Channel mode, make sure that you install memory modules of the same
type and density in different channel DIMM slots.

To enable successful system boot-up, always insert the memory modules into
the DIMM1 first."

DIMM1 is the black slot closest to the CPU. That is the slot you should be trying each stick of RAM in. If it boots with either stick of RAM in DIMM1 you could then set the RAM speed/timings/voltage and try installing the other stick of RAM. I believe on your motherboard you would install the second stick of RAM in the first blue slot so there is just one black slot empty between them in order to run them in dual-channel mode.

I don't believe you should be using both black or blue slots together. You usually have a stick of RAM in each color like described above.

That's exactly why I found it so strange that the only time I could get even a hint of a signal is when the RAM was in the same channel slots. I tried putting the RAM in DIMM1 again (tried both sticks), but it still isn't working. I'm thinking that my motherboard is simply rejecting my RAM and I need to take it somewhere where they can get some of the right stuff in there--at least to set the speed/timings/voltage right. However, I don't want to take it in somewhere and pay for service until I can get a second opinion on that. Does anyone agree or disagree?
!