Attempt at mid-range gaming rig need opinions of components.

Hi I decided to try my hand at building me a mid-range gaming rig for RTS games and games such as left 4 dead and fallout 3. So I decided to ask around for some tips to aquire parts for the system that came below my budget of 600 dollars and this what some one reccomended to me:

Total $596 (not counting shipping),

(Motherboard) Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L, $80,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128380

(Case) Antec Three Hundred, $60,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

(Power Supply) Seasonic SS-500ET (500 watts, 80plus efficiency, 34A +12V), $62,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151069

(CPU) Intel BX80571E7500, Core 2 Duo E7500 (2.93 GHz, Wolfdale-3M), $120 free shipping,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115056

(RAM) G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK, 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 CAS5, $55 free shipping,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

(Video Card) Sapphire 279L, Radeon 4870 512MB, $135,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102850

(Hard Drive) Western Digital WD5000AAKS, 500GB SATA 7200RPM, $57 free shipping,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073

(DVD-RW) Samsung SH-S223B, 22X DVD-RW SATA, $27,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151187

Seems like a good list of components and well within my budget minus the OS but I can probably find it cheap somewhere, but my question is, is it up to snuff when it comes to playing certain games like L4D and Fallout 3 along with RTS games, what changes would you suggest if any?
43 answers Last reply
More about attempt range gaming opinions components
  1. Your computer will work well .

    its worth considering that intel are not going to be producing socket 775 processors for much longer , and you may get more future proofing with an AMD build in this price range

    AMD Phenom II X3 710 $99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103648

    should more than match the e7500 especially when multitasking . Tomshardware charts show this processor gaming slightly above the level of an e8500

    GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P $85
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128392

    Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 $79
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220286

    $263 and all the latest technology with AM3/ DDR3

    Its $8 more than your cpu/mb/ram combo but its a well spent $8 IMO
  2. What size monitor are you using? That will determine if the GPU is powerful enough. I'm sure it is unless you're on a 1920x1200 or larger.

    I would actually steer you to make these three changes.
    Drop the CPU, mobo, and ram. Instead, get a AMD 720x3, Gigabyte 770 AM3, and DDR3 ram. For the extra core, it will cost just a touch more, like $30.
    Mobo $85+shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128392

    Ram $75 free shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144264

    CPU and 4870 1gb $255, same as your CPU and lower 512mb on GPU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.236399
  3. Outlander_04 said:
    Your computer will work well .

    its worth considering that intel are not going to be producing socket 775 processors for much longer , and you may get more future proofing with an AMD build in this price range

    AMD Phenom II X3 710 $99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103648

    should more than match the e7500 especially when multitasking . Tomshardware charts show this processor gaming slightly above the level of an e8500

    GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P $85
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128392

    Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 $79
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220286

    $263 and all the latest technology with AM3/ DDR3

    Its $8 more than your cpu/mb/ram combo but its a well spent $8 IMO


    Thanks for the advice, in your opinion can it handle the games I listed above rather well, or will more be needed?
  4. skora said:
    What size monitor are you using? That will determine if the GPU is powerful enough. I'm sure it is unless you're on a 1920x1200 or larger.

    I would actually steer you to make these three changes.
    Drop the CPU, mobo, and ram. Instead, get a AMD 720x3, Gigabyte 770 AM3, and DDR3 ram. For the extra core, it will cost just a touch more, like $30.
    Mobo $85+shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128392

    Ram $75 free shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144264

    CPU and 4870 1gb $255, same as your CPU and lower 512mb on GPU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.236399


    I haven't decided on a monitor yet but due to my tight budget I'll probably be using something smaller then a 1920x1200, I just haven't figured out what yet probably a 1366 x 768 LCD Monitor.
  5. deus257 said:
    Thanks for the advice, in your opinion can it handle the games I listed above rather well, or will more be needed?



    gaming performance is directly related to monitor resolution . If the processor and gfx cad have to "paint" a higher resolution image then frame rates will diminish .

    I havent played either of those games , but I think you will be fine with either build and a 1920 x 1080 panel .
  6. If its that small of a monitor, then a 4850 512 will do just fine on those titles. I have the 4850 on a 1280x1024 which has 300,000 more pixels to calculate than the 1366x768 and run FO3 on ultra high with no sweet. L4D uses the source engine and I'm well over 100 fps on HL2E2, don't think L4D is that much more demanding. RTS games will not be a problem. That will cut the price of the GPU from $135 down to $90 and let you get the x3 CPU and stay in budget. The 4850 does well on a 1680x1050 monitor, so if you can get one for near the same price, might be a good balance.
  7. yeah get and am3 x3 720 system 4850 512 will do you fine on the monitor type you will be able to run highest on any source game out there
  8. skora said:
    If its that small of a monitor, then a 4850 512 will do just fine on those titles. I have the 4850 on a 1280x1024 which has 300,000 more pixels to calculate than the 1366x768 and run FO3 on ultra high with no sweet. L4D uses the source engine and I'm well over 100 fps on HL2E2, don't think L4D is that much more demanding. RTS games will not be a problem. That will cut the price of the GPU from $135 down to $90 and let you get the x3 CPU and stay in budget. The 4850 does well on a 1680x1050 monitor, so if you can get one for near the same price, might be a good balance.


    Can a 1680x1050 monitorhandle a game like Fallout 3, the reason being is that I won the game in a contest and my Dimension 4700 (before it got thrashed by a trojan) isn't designed for gaming and it would be a shame to let the game just sit there.

    Other than that I was considering either of these 2 monitors:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236063

    or

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254035

    since both are within my budget for monitors
  9. You can game on any monitor, depending on how sensitive your eyes are you may or may not notice a difference between the normal monitors and the 'gaming' monitors with a 2ms refresh rate, if you are going to be going 1680x1050 then get a 4870 if you want to play on maxed out settings, if you are fine with high instead of ultra high then you should still be fine with a 4850 but i would suggest the 1GB version.
  10. If your budget is $600 not including monitor or OS, here's what I would,

    4870 1gb w/ 2 free games and free shipping $135 amir (the 512 didn't have free shipping so would have been $116 amir +$6 S/H, so for the little extra, you get a 1gb, which will dominate for a long time at 1680x1050)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.216862

    AMD 720x3 with OCZ gold ram $180 amir
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.237833

    MSI 770 AM3 mobo with OCZ mod pro 500w PSU $110 amir
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.237091

    Antec 300 $60
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

    WD Caviar Black 500 GB HDD $70
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320

    Dvd burner sata $27
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136167

    Shipping $22
    Total $602 amir

    If you don't mind buying from Zipzoomfly, they have the antec 300 for the same price with free shipping.
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10007764
  11. skora said:
    If your budget is $600 not including monitor or OS, here's what I would,

    4870 1gb w/ 2 free games and free shipping $135 amir (the 512 didn't have free shipping so would have been $116 amir +$6 S/H, so for the little extra, you get a 1gb, which will dominate for a long time at 1680x1050)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.216862

    AMD 720x3 with OCZ gold ram $180 amir
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.237833

    MSI 770 AM3 mobo with OCZ mod pro 500w PSU $110 amir
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.237091

    Antec 300 $60
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

    WD Caviar Black 500 GB HDD $70
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320

    Dvd burner sata $27
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136167

    Shipping $22
    Total $602 amir

    If you don't mind buying from Zipzoomfly, they have the antec 300 for the same price with free shipping.
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10007764


    Wow, that is a big improvement over my previous list, sounds like it can handle a good variety of modern games, including fallout 3. Although im not so sure about some of the items posted, like the DVD burner and memory, im sure I can go 40 dollars over my budget, is there anything better than those 2.
  12. Writers are writers. There aren't any real good reviews of them because they all do the same job well enough. Unless you're into commercial activities, just pick one that fits in the case. Lightscribe is the only real option for a few bucks more.

    As for ram, there are better options. I'd prefer CAS 7 with 1.5v to 1.6v. If you have a little more to spare, then try this instead.
    Buy the CPU ($120) by itself and then ram by itself too. $75
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144264
  13. Ok so here is the list revised:

    4870 1gb w/ 2 free games and free shipping $135 amir
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.216862

    AMD Phenom II X3 with OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB $193 amir
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.237828

    MSI 770 AM3 mobo with OCZ mod pro 500w PSU $110 amir
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.237091

    Antec 300 $60
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10007764

    WD Caviar Black 500 GB HDD $70
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320

    SAMSUNG Black 22X $27 (same price, seems slightly better)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151187

    Shipping $13
    Total $611 amir

    Hm, thats a pretty good gaming rig for a good price (if my math is right), should I also consider purchasing a fan for the processor too if I play games like L4D, Half life 2 and Fallout 3 on so it wont over heat.
  14. If you are going to overclock the CPU, yes, you'll want a better HSF than the one that comes with the CPU. Look for the sunbeam core contact freezer. $25 after rebate and comes with TX-2.

    If not, the stock fan will be just fine.

    Also, I edited my suggestion for the ram/CPU combo.
  15. even if you game for a whole week non stop with that case an not overclock the cooling will be just fine
  16. skora said:
    If you are going to overclock the CPU, yes, you'll want a better HSF than the one that comes with the CPU. Look for the sunbeam core contact freezer. $25 after rebate and comes with TX-2.

    If not, the stock fan will be just fine.

    Also, I edited my suggestion for the ram/CPU combo.


    Your previous suggestion on cpu/ram seems to suit me more since I live in the desert and it gets pretty hot so the memory seems suitable, as for the fan and heatsink you mean this one:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004

    Seems like a reliable product but will it fit in an Antec 300 case?
  17. yeah it will fit perfectly
  18. +1 on the fit. Even without the heat spreaders of the reaper, you'll produce less heat with a 1.5v GEIL than the 1.9v OCZ and they'll cost less to run. Might not seem like a lot, but over time, it can add up.
  19. skora said:
    +1 on the fit. Even without the heat spreaders of the reaper, you'll produce less heat with a 1.5v GEIL than the 1.9v OCZ and they'll cost less to run. Might not seem like a lot, but over time, it can add up.


    Ok so here is the list revised, again:

    4870 1gb w/ 2 free games and free shipping $135 amir
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.216862

    AMD Phenom II X3 with OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB $194 amir
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.237828

    MSI 770 AM3 mobo with OCZ mod pro 500w PSU $110 amir
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.237091

    Antec 300 $60
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10007764

    WD Caviar Black 500 GB HDD $70
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320

    SAMSUNG Black 22X $27 (same price, seems slightly better)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151187

    Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 $25 (after rebate)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004

    Shipping $13
    Total $637 amir

    Now that is a good gaming PC, now all I need to consider now is the side budget of 300 dollars (I got this amount by selling my xbox, busted yet repairable xbox360 and all my games) this is for; the monitor, keyboard, mouse, wireless internet adapter card (my friends have L4D lan parties) OS and speakers.

    I can probably find the speakers from my Dell Dimension 4700 (they're an A425 2.1 stereo-speaker system btw, I know not much but hey they work, though I wouldn't mind a new set) and the mouse and keyboard don't cost much, it's the monitor, wireless card and OS I need to consider.

    EDIT: OK I have an Idea on Keyboard, mouse and speaker opinions will be accepted;

    Microsoft FA3-00010S Black $15
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109026

    Microsoft D66-00066 Black 3 $12
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105185

    Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1 Multimedia Speaker System $24
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121014

    Total: $51

    Budget left $249, now onto monitor and OS
  20. Just found this fly by deal on zzf for the dvd drive. $21 w/free ship
    https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10010714

    You can take the HDD out of your cart and add this combo, gets $15 off with vista home premium with free win7.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.235895.22-136-320

    That leaves $205 for the monitor and other items.

    This monitor looks good for $151 amir w/free ship
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10009786

    Gaming mice are very personal choices. Different mice work better for palm users and others for fingertips. I've never found a good guide to explain, but I'd consider buying locally where you can take it back if you don't like it or at least spend some time in a store giving a hands on feel. That wasn't meant to sound dirty. Expect to drop most of the rest on the mouse. Keyboards are easy to come by for cheap. If you can find those speakers, that would be best, if not that monitor has some built in that can work till you can track down something else.

    Do any of your friends use wireless for the lan party? USB wireless adapter are cheap, $15 if memory serves me, which I wouldn't count on.
  21. OK here is the list again:

    4870 1gb w/ 2 free games and free shipping $135 amir
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.216862

    AMD Phenom II X3 with OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB $194 amir
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.237828

    MSI 770 AM3 mobo with OCZ mod pro 500w PSU $110 amir
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.237091

    Antec 300 $60
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10007764

    HDD/Vista Combo $165
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.235895.22-136-320

    SAMSUNG SH-S223L 22X SATA DVD Burner Black Drive Bulk $22
    https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10010714

    Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 $20 (after rebate)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004

    Shipping $28
    Total $734 amir (hm, over budget, not problem though i'll just take it from my side budget)

    Monitor:
    I was thinking maybe this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236063

    it's $130
    leaving $33 in my side budget

    and my friends use a wireless router, they don't like usb's either so they have internal wireless adapters in their rigs.

    so that leaves, keyboard, mouse, speakers (I didn't like my previous choices)and internal wireless card and
    $33 to spend, well back to ebay or cutting the monitor price down to below $100.
  22. heat sink i prefer zalman 7700 looks cool when turned on

    Zalman 7700
    $29


    cools just as good as sunbeam and QUIET even with fan on high you wont hear it over your 4870
  23. The zalman 7700 doesnt cool nearly as well as the CCF, take a look at this chart from frostytech.
    http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2273&page=5
    And in a case with no window looks dont matter too much.
  24. sorry mean the 7500 the updated version of the 7700. it's wider and taller than the 7500 wont fit most cases I dont trust that site my personal experience was that I got 5c cooler with the 7500 over the sunbeam both using artic silver thermal paste and the sunbeam had a higher ctf fan rating i believe. both resonably priced but i perfer the 7500 as it fits most motherboards and cases I've tried and the SILENCE factor is amazing. No idea why frostytech has it listed at 53 dba. testing outside the case with a noiseless psu resulted in 20.4 dba on high sunbeam was 42dba maybe they do inside dba measuring but who is gonna stick their ear up to the case while gaming? $29 dollars I also recommend http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118037 comes with gift of copper heatsinks enough to cover mosfets and all. So quiet all you will hear is your hard drive writing and maybe the psu fan
  25. OK I have made a few changes, here they are:

    4870 1gb w/ 2 free games and free shipping $135 amir
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.216862

    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 $168
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

    Memory: OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB $85
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227320

    ASRock P45X3 Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard $100
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157164

    Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W $60
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016

    Antec 300 $60
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10007764

    HDD/Vista Combo $165
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.235895.22-136-320

    SAMSUNG SH-S223L 22X SATA DVD Burner Black Drive Bulk $22
    https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10010714

    Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 $20 (after rebate)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004

    Total: $815

    I know I went way over budget, on this one but I decided to dip into my side budget abit, and I also decided to follow whaat skora told me earlier and decided to transfer my keyboard and mouse over from my old Dell Dimension 4700pc since I used to play C&C, starcraft and other older RTS games on it and feel comfortable with and I decided to instead Purchase an LCDmonitor with built in Speakers with a little cash I got from an Ebay auction plus the left over from side budget ($236) Im confident in this build, what do you guys think, will it work?
  26. You can switch to this motherboard/CPU combo and save a bit after MIR, most of the savings would come from being able to drop down to DDR2 1066 RAM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.232666
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227298
  27. If you insist on the E8400, combo it with the HSF for $10 more off.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.234682

    But for what you're spending now, I'd choose this in a heart beat over the E8400.

    AMD 945 x4 with same ram: $240
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.237849

    For the mobo, any of these will work. The ones that are $125 amir would total $825, but you didn't factor in the mir for the PSU, but that might also be about how much shipping is.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200022%201070946178&StoreType=-1&CompareItemList=N82E16813157152%2cN82E16813130224%2cN82E16813138141%2cN82E16813131366%2cN82E16813128378&bop=And

    Or look at a 785 chipset for around $100. You'll have dual PCIe slots for CF if you want it later.
  28. hunter315 said:
    You can switch to this motherboard/CPU combo and save a bit after MIR, most of the savings would come from being able to drop down to DDR2 1066 RAM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.232666
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227298


    Im pretty comfortable with this set up, I know its over budget but atleast I had $300 hundred in my side budget, could use a suggestion on the monitor with built in speakers though especially for $236.
  29. For the monitor, click on the index in my sig and read the monitor section. Should help on needing suggestions.
  30. skora said:
    If you insist on the E8400, combo it with the HSF for $10 more off.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.234682

    But for what you're spending now, I'd choose this in a heart beat over the E8400.

    AMD 945 x4 with same ram: $240
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.237849

    For the mobo, any of these will work. The ones that are $125 amir would total $825, but you didn't factor in the mir for the PSU, but that might also be about how much shipping is.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200022%201070946178&StoreType=-1&CompareItemList=N82E16813157152%2cN82E16813130224%2cN82E16813138141%2cN82E16813131366%2cN82E16813128378&bop=And

    Or look at a 785 chipset for around $100. You'll have dual PCIe slots for CF if you want it later.


    Your right I should Splurge abit:
    4870 1gb w/ 2 free games and free shipping $135 amir
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.216862

    AMD 945 x4 with same ram: $240
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.237849

    BIOSTAR TForce Motherboard $110
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138141

    Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W $60
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016

    Antec 300 $63
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10007764

    HDD/Vista Combo $165
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.235895.22-136-320

    SAMSUNG SH-S223L 22X SATA DVD Burner Black Drive Bulk $24
    https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10010714

    Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 $20 (after rebate)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004

    Total: $817 (not counting shipping)

    Not bad at all, this will really work well, will the fan work on the mother board though?
  31. Yep, its a native AM2/3 design.

    And if you're not counting shipping, then amir, that PSU is only $40. If you are planning on spending $60, there's much better PSU you can get, but the OCZ will do the job for a single GPU.
  32. Check out this 4870 I am considering for my build $129 AMIR

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121291
    ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
  33. The one deus257 has linked is down to $130 amir. So if the cost of shipping +$1 is worth Stalker Clear Skys and Wheelman, I'd go with the Powercolor. But both are nice cards.
  34. Here goes:

    POWERCOLOR AX4870 1GBD5 Radeon HD Video Card $130 (didn't really need the games)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131148

    AMD 945 x4 $169
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103696

    GeIL 4GB (2 x 2GB) $85
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144264

    BIOSTAR TForce Motherboard $104
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4501840&sku=B450-2379&srkey=BIOSTAR%20TForce

    Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W $40 (amir)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016

    Antec 300 $60
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

    Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive $70
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320

    SAMSUNG SH-S223L 22X SATA DVD Burner Black Drive Bulk $24
    https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10010714

    Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 $20 (after rebate)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004


    Total: $702 (not counting shipping)

    Woo-hoo I cut the price a bit now I can concentrate on a wireless adapter card, specifically one that is good for online play.
  35. The 18X IDE DVD burner is definitely a step backwards. I'd stick with SATA.

    SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner LightScribe Support - OEM $28.99
  36. +1 to shortstuff_mt. If you buy an IDE drive, it will work now. But in a few years, if you get a new mobo, IDE may not be on there and then you're stuck with a drive that you can't use or buy a mobo other than your first choice just to use the ide devices.
  37. skora said:
    +1 to shortstuff_mt. If you buy an IDE drive, it will work now. But in a few years, if you get a new mobo, IDE may not be on there and then you're stuck with a drive that you can't use or buy a mobo other than your first choice just to use the ide devices.


    Your right, got carried away cutting cost, still, don't suppose you can recommend a wireless adapter that's suitable for gaming, some one mentioned hardwired being better for gaming.

    EDIT: Almost forgot to mention my wireless router is a G wireless router.
    $20 price drop rebate on power supply, yeah.
  38. Well in non technical terms, your a lot less likely to lose information by sending it through a wire than letting it travel through air.
  39. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166023

    Decent cheap and what I use on 6 computers in my house wife HATES wires so went wireless. Noticed no difference in speed even on the two in a different room though i do have a bridge in the hallway to boost signal
  40. I just realized my router is for gaming and has 4 connections for ethernet cables on the back so im set, although a good cost trim is in the works.
    One question though, is this memory any good?

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3495738&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs
  41. If you're spending that much, I'd go DDR3 platform. But how much of a cost trim and what parts are on the chopping block?
  42. skora said:
    If you're spending that much, I'd go DDR3 platform. But how much of a cost trim and what parts are on the chopping block?


    It would be nice to get it below $780 since some things came up and more than likely I may have to take $90 from my PC budget to have enough for school books and I also ended up giving my mom money to help pay for her insurance (all from my side budget and a little from my book money BTW I don't mind she's done so much for the family and has been through alot and I can go without a monitor for awhile and use my old monitor from my dimension 4700), but at the same time I don't want to affect its performance and remove the main CPU, I would be willing to replace the self-cooling memory for a non-selfcooling memory with the same performance, and maybe change to a cheaper DVD Burner/ disk drive if possible.

    Edit: I have made some changes

    Windows Vista Home Premium OEM $109
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116677

    POWERCOLOR AX4870 1GBD5 Radeon HD Video Card $125 (didn't really need the games)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131148

    AMD 945 x4 $169
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103696

    GeIL 4GB (2 x 2GB) $85
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144264

    BIOSTAR TForce Motherboard $104
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4501840&sku=B450-2379&srkey=BIOSTAR%20TForce

    Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W $40 (amir)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016

    Antec 300 $60
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

    Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive $70
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320

    SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X $27
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151187

    Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 $24 (after rebate)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004


    Total before mir: $852 (counting shipping) not bad now lets include shipping an MIR

    total $812 not too shabby
    Although skora can you check the new dvd/burner I added? just see if it's good and can you check the motherboard also, I think it's the same one I had picked earlier but im not sure since it looked the same but at a cheaper price.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Games Systems Product