Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will an AM3 CPU work with my AM2+/AM2 Mobo?

Last response: in CPUs
November 4, 2009 5:26:21 AM

So the question is obvious, I'm thinking of upgrading the CPU and I would like to know if I could drop in something like the Athlon II X4 620, without any problems. Such as a noticeable performance loss, or if there will be bottlenecks, etc.
I use my computer for workstation level stuff so it does need to be able to handle the info, so any noticeable performance loss would not be good, I would rather buy a real AM3 board if I have too.
My current board is the ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition
Link: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=0jMy2X8lKstYRvev
Suggestions?
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2009 5:55:25 AM

There are no PhenomII/AthlonII cpus on that motherboard's CPU support list. So unless Asus is just slow updating their information, I dont think its gonna work.
m
l
Related resources
November 4, 2009 6:08:00 AM

Yes, it will work but it may require a bios update. No, DDR3 doesn't improve performance greatly.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2009 6:21:16 AM

lukemk1 said:
So the question is obvious, I'm thinking of upgrading the CPU and I would like to know if I could drop in something like the Athlon II X4 620, without any problems. Such as a noticeable performance loss, or if there will be bottlenecks, etc.
I use my computer for workstation level stuff so it does need to be able to handle the info, so any noticeable performance loss would not be good, I would rather buy a real AM3 board if I have too.
My current board is the ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition
Link: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=0jMy2X8lKstYRvev
Suggestions?

AM2+ is a transitional standard for supporting both AM2 and AM3 processors. Like the last guy said, you'll probably need a BIOS update.
m
l
November 4, 2009 1:22:35 PM

Just one extra note - first update the BIOS and than put the new CPU... ;) 
m
l
November 4, 2009 3:44:00 PM

Thanks for the help everyone, from what it sounds like I should be able to.
Does anyone have a link for the BIOS download? Or will I have to get that...
One other thing is on sites like Newegg my board says its only AM2, but on Asus's website it says "Support AMD Socket AM2+/AM2 CPU" so does that mean it is AM2+?
m
l
November 4, 2009 4:12:23 PM

What CPU do you currently have?
m
l
November 4, 2009 4:21:10 PM

Stupido said:
Just one extra note - first update the BIOS and than put the new CPU... ;) 

thanks for pointing that out , many systems did not boot up just because they needed to update the bios to recognize it .
m
l
November 4, 2009 4:34:29 PM

Quote:
thanks for pointing that out , many systems did not boot up just because they needed to update the bios to recognize it .

So do I just get the newest BIOS or do I have to look for a specific one?
m
l
November 4, 2009 5:01:17 PM

lukemk1 said:
Quote:

So do I just get the newest BIOS or do I have to look for a specific one?

get the newest bios . thats it . there would also be release notes with it to confirm your cpu support
m
l

Best solution

November 4, 2009 5:12:05 PM

wait a minute ! i checked out your mobo link , they havent released a supporting bios yet . some guy did manage to get an am3 proc working , but only 2 memory slots were working . type m2n32sli phenom ii problem in google and see ... looks like u'll have to wait before a bios update(if at ever) comes out .
November 4, 2009 5:13:08 PM

Ergh that really sucks.
Thanks cyberkuberiah for the help, looks like I'll have to get a new mobo if I want to do that..
m
l
November 4, 2009 5:19:46 PM

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=2009010320490094...

on this link its mentioned asus support replied there'd be no update , but another guy got ram running at less speed , and one guy could even o'c his phenom2 x2 . sounds confusing . he was using bios 2101 , so the best bet for you to is buy the cpu first , put bios 2101 , and then try . if it does not work buy a new motherboard . give me your usage and ill suggest you a nice motherboard . thanks for the best answer , i hope you read this post too !
m
l
!