raptorxrx

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Hello to all who read this,

First of all I don't have too much money to spend... :na: The total of all of this would be nice to keep under $ 300...

I would love to water cool my computer so I can really push an i5-2500k!I saw the XSPC Rasa RS 240 kit and all of it's good reviews. But I have a case (Storm Scout) which is not designed for water cooling and I can't mod (no tools or know how) it . I would prefer to get the RS 360 along with black tubing, anti-kink coils, and some gentle typhoons.
I won't get a closed loop system, because I really like being able to fully customize a custom loop. I would also consider buying all the parts separate but that looks like it would turn out more expensive.
I don't feel the need to water cool my Graphics Card GTX 460 but the capability to do so in future would be nice! ;)
Could anybody give me recommendations for cases to water cool in and if there are any better kits/solutions for the price?

If you're looking to fit a 360 rad, you'll have to go for a more expensive full tower ($130+), which will cut into your budget a bit.

If you want to do just the CPU, a decent number of mid towers will support a 240 rad.

The HAF 912 will support and external 240 rad setup: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/landing/haf912/home.php?page=cooling

I think the HAF 922 will support a 240 internally, but it's not advertised as such. I'd do some research into that.

In all practicality though, you'd get more benefit from watercooling the 460 rather than the 2500K - even if you OCed to 4.5+ GHz, your GPU is still the bottleneck here, and the 460s OC pretty well (had a pair running at 850/2100 core/memory clocks).

Really push to what?

The level of water cooling needed is directly related to just how far you intend to push the 2500K, and additionally the overclock method you intend to use to get there, there are various ways to overclock the 2500K?

So do you know the answers to those questions?

Knowing your full intentions is very important in any recommendations to you.

Or else you may spend your 300 bucks and be very dissatisfied.

orangejuice789

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
You can use the Storm Scout with almost no modding... I did it with the RX360 kit and hung the radiator off of the back.

You could just purchase some tin snips (10$) and cut a hole in the back of your case above the back 120mm fan grill. Then you could use some black duct tape to cover the hole to prevent the tubing from getting cut on the case.

The kit comes with spacers to mound the radiator off of the back of a case, just screws, washers, and nuts installation.

^This solution will not be the prettiest, but it would definitely work.

Here is a link to some pictures displaying the way I did it...

http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x451/Orangejuice789/?start=all

I used rubber grommets and cut holes just the right size, but you could definitely just cut two rough holes, or one big one and be able to get a similar result.

That actually looks pretty good. +1 for DIY modding :)

raptorxrx

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011

That might just be my solution! :pt1cable:

I still have questions though... My computer room is all the way across the house so i don't have Ethernet connection, I have wireless card to access the internet and I also have a PCI slot sound card. Would I still be able to use those?

Which way do you have your fans blowing? And Did you mount the radiator its self using the rear 120mm fan holes?

orangejuice789

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I had my fans pulling air from the case out... but it should be reversed for optimal performance from the rad.

This is the better solution...

[>fan>](Radiator)[>fan>] _spacer_[case]

One thing i forgot, is that you will need to create a hole for the tin-snips to enter into the case to start cutting... This could be a problem but maybe someone else here has an idea for this, which you don't need to go buy tools for.

Yes the radiator is mounted to the rear 120mm fan holes.

With regards to your wireless card and sound card... do they protrude out from your case? Does the wireless card have an antenna that you can move so it wouldn't be in the way of the radiator?

If not, there is another way to deal with this... You could mount the radiator by the middle fan spot instead of the top, and then use 90 degree fittings on the rad to run the tubing down to more 90 degree fittings that run the tubing into the hole that you make into the case. This would prevent the radiator from being in the way of PSU exhaust, maybe GPU exhaust, and also potentially avoid your wireless card and sound card issues. <If this does not make sense I can draw a picture in paint to try and clarify.

raptorxrx

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
The antennas of the wireless protrude but not by much.... like just enough to go over the part of the PSU section... And your second idea makes sense. Thanks! And I do have acess to the drill so im guessing that could make the hole for the tin snips. (So yes I do have SOME tools i can use but thats about it)

orangejuice789

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
The spacers should definitely give you enough clearance then.

A drill would certainly do the job, using a larger bit will help keep the amount of drilling you have to do down.

If you follow the second idea, I might do that even if the wireless card does not get in the way. I say this because it will help the radiator avoid the warm PSU and GPU exhausts.

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

In my experience make sure when you do get a XSPC RS 240 kit make sure the pump is working correctly before installing the loop to blocks and Rev/Pump.
You can mount a radiator on the back of the case where the 120mm fan is with either some mounting bards or a mounting kit, with you will have to look up some tubing sizes that can fit through the PCI slots switch they do have. you can try FrozenCPU.com or performance-Pc.com but the radiator for the XSPC isn't the greatest so i would do a Push and Pull. I would get some quick-disconnects if you want to add a waterblock to your GPU for the future, Look in Magicool Ultra 240mm Radiator.. I Just did a overview on it and review and it performed better than the XSPC RAD..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFdO7IrwsGE

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
^Is that the thick or thin version of the Magicool? If it's the thick..yes, it will perform better. I'd like to see how it stacks up against the XSPC version, either RS or RX, depending on which one of the Magicool's you are recommending. XSPC rads are some of the best for price/performance outside of the Swiftech MCR radiators...when it comes to the XSPC RX series, they are often $10-$20 cheaper than similar thickness rads and perform as well with all fan speed ranges.

raptorxrx

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
I really got to thinking about this and I think my money might be better spent in other places and than in the future water cool. It is something i will definitely do sometime i'm just not sure if it's right for me right now. Somebody else basically said that earlier but they deleted their post...

At the end of the day it's your call. Now you've got a significantly better understanding of what you need though, and I'd recommend waiting until you can throw the GPU(s) into the loop - you'll see the biggest temperature difference there simply because they produce the most heat.

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

Yes this is the thick Dual Radiator and it blew my XSPC RS 240mm away by far...
Yes it's his choice at the end of the day.. Good luck my friend and I'd hope you purchase the parts you're are looking for

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

This is why I should proof read my comment and what I meant to say was thin, and not thick, but it's called the ultra 240 radiator for a reason '

Magicool LC-RADI240s specs

The dimension 13mm x 2mm
Fines spacing is 276 x 120 x 45 MM
14 FPI
connection threads 1100g
weight is 2.5 bar
G1/4" Ports

the XSPC spec:

Matt Black Finish
Dimensions: 121x35x277mm (WxDxH)
19mm Flat tubes for reduced flow resistance
1 Row 11 Tubes
Compact Design
G1/4″ Ports

so overall the Magicool cool both CPU and GPU by staying at a idle temp of an average of 34C
The XSPC cool both CPU and GPU but temps stay on idle of an average of 39C
Using Yate Loon fans that are 70.5CFM and Cooler Master R4 69.69CFM

System Overclock at 4.0GHz and voltage were at 1.36 voltages

raptorxrx

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Sorry for the late post but I came up with some more questions... One is how much could I cool with a RX360 rad, and also what would be a good case for water cooling if I made 200 dollars the max for a case?

raptorxrx

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Ok and not considering budget here (as i realize not all things are possible) how many more radiators would I need to run sli gtx 460s and a overclocked i5-2500k? would I need a better pump?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
If you are going to start getting into a custom loop, you might as well start off that way instead of adding on to the Rasa kit. The pump is decent for a beginner kit, but for the money you are going to be spending, you may wish to consider just going with a different pump to drive this loop. Just a thought.

raptorxrx

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Is there a good guide anywhere with all the parts I need? That's part of the reason I like the kits as they have everything you need minus kill coil and distilled water.
How much more rad would I need? How much more would it cost? And if make a fully custom loop I probably should get a new case anyways. What would you recommend?

The stickies cover most of that...