Asus P5N-D and OCZ DDR2 6400 wont boot with 8GB only 4GB

bdestroyer8418

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I was trying to upgrade my case to the Cool Master HAF 932. After placing everything back in. I couldn't get the computer to display a Image. So I thought maybe the MB or the GPU might of died while i was cleaning them.

I bought a new GPU Ge-Force GTS 250 have originally a G-Force 8800 GT SuperClocked (which still works after trying it on the new motherboard). Then I bought just about the only only MB that Microcenter had in stock that would work for me Asus P5N-D.

My NVIDIA nForce 680i seems like it died while I was changing cases. I'm getting error code 1d which is some kind of memory error. I tried pull the battery changing the jumper and nothing it still get stuck on the code and won't POST.

So I tried the new MB the Asus I got with the CPU,GPU and 1 stick of ram and it worked. Installed it in the case. Installed Windows and then I added my other 3 sticks of ram and nothing won't POST if I just leave 2 in which is 4GB in the B Dimms I'm good seems like A Dimms are messed up.

If there something else I can try out or should I go back and exchange it. Not sure if I should be looking at another motherboard . I really liked the 680i but seems like I'm out of luck or might find used one.

Any suggestions on what to do get a new MB, replace with the same one.

I tried all 4 sticks of RAM in the B dimms and all of them work and are found it just something screwed up with the A.

Thanks

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Put 1 stick in. Run memtest86+ (find it on the net). If there are no errors after about an hour of testing, power off and try the next stick. Do this with all of the RAM modules until you find one that is faulty. Post back for results.

bdestroyer8418

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010

Ran 1 stick at a time 4x using memtest86+ each test for about a hour which did 2 complete passes each test was complete with no errors on all 4 sticks of RAM. They wore ran in the furthest DIMM away from the CPU. Tried again installing 1 stick at a time the the 2 DIMMs closet to the CPU and same results CPU won't display.

So now it must be the new motherboard with 2 bad DIMMs. Right now in the morning I will go back and exchange for the same model and test it out.

All 4 sticks are the same model 2 I bought 2.5yrs ago when I first build the computer and 2 I jsut bought within the last month.

This is the RAM http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3404049&CatId=3412/

Let me know if there's anything else to try out.

Thanks

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I guess one of your motherboard's RAM channels are busted. I suggest you get your motherboard replaced.

Also, try upgrading your motherboard BIOS first, and see if that solves anything.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_sli_ready_edition_4gb_dual_channel

check the above link. Apparently, your memory needs 2.1v to function at its rated timings. If you're trying to run the modules at 5-4-4-15, you need to up the RAM voltage, as daship said. If it's running at a lower speed or laxer timings (which would be the default SPD values in the RAM modules unless there is an XMP spec somewhere), then it should function properly at normal voltage.

bdestroyer8418

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I upped the RAM Voltage to 2.11 (it was set on Auto before) also updated bios and still a no go looks like it's the 2 DIMMs that are busted.

Now I'm thinking of just upgrading like I wanted to in the first place. I can probarlly get a i7-860 or 920 with a motherboard for about $400. And just will need some DDR3.

I can return this DDR2 I bought from TigerDirect and get my $115 back.

Seems smarter since by returning this MB and that DDR2 I could get about $230 to go to the new setup.

I'll just keep this Q6600 CPU with my other 4GB of DDR2 and my older 8800GT GPU and i'll get it going again soon for a NAS or something since I dont think my very old P4 3.3GHz CPU could run it.

Thanks all for your help. Just seems smarter don't you think to upgrade now.