I5 2400 (Or 2500K) and Intel DH67BL

snowcrush

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Hey, I'm getting an I5 2400 (or should i take 2500K?) and Intel DH67BL motherboard. Do you got any suggestions for other motherboards of other companys (like ASUS) With the same amount of connectors and everything the same, in the same price (excluding integrated gpu stuff). I need atleast 3 USB headers, and it have USB3, SATA 6GBPS. :bounce:

larkspur

Distinguished
Hi Snowcrush - Don't buy Intel motherboards. Intel is great at making CPUs, chipsets and SSDs but their motherboards are troublesome and generally carry bad reputations. The Asus board you picked looks fine except it won't support SLI or Xfire - it only has one full PCIe slot. This Gigabyte one is pricier, but supports SLI/Xfire and has Z68 and more memory slots: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128495

If you want to OC then definitely get the 2500k. That chip is truly awesome. Get yourself a decent CPU cooler (spend like $30) and you should get an OC over 4 ghz easily. When you consider the overclocking potential, the 2500k can't be beat on value.

snowcrush

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Wow, ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS looks really awesome, i think ill take it, just hope the damn "sources" has them cheap

larkspur

Distinguished

Yep, looks like a fine board. It is a regular ATX board but so far you've been quoting MicroATX boards so just make sure your computer case can handle a regular ATX board. Smaller cases sometimes require MicroATX.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009

I beg to differ. Intel motherboards are some of the most stable and long lasting motherboards out there and they have some of the best reputation for longevity. The only reason we, enthusiasts, take other manufacturers such as Asus, Gigabyte and the such are the fact that these makers add "extra goodies" that we like; such as easy overclocking, etc.

The P8Z68 is a good board and will last you a long while. Good luck with your build OP and make sure you have a beefy/high quality power supply to go with it

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I disagree, but that's just my experience. However, what's true for everyone is that Intel boards still feature a crappy layout - look at the Asus P8 boards. The SATA ports face to the side, allowing neater cable management. Intel boards have the same obsolete layout with SATA ports facing up and it was a pain in the a$$ to build a PC with DH67BL. Also, Intel dropped PS/2 on that board, which everyone else only did on Z68.

However, I must admit the board's BIOS isn't too bad (gotta update to the latest, though). Has nice fan control, unlike Asus. But that's the only advantage of that board over Asus H67 boards.

larkspur

Distinguished

Well, speaking from personal experience, I have not had good "luck" with Intel boards. Not going into specifics, but I had one board fail after a month and another arrived DOA. I have heard others complain about their failure rate, price being too high for their features and yes, bad board layouts. I'm not at all saying that an Intel board is not going to work, but I am saying that there are much better boards available for the money.