TerraTec DMX6fire 24/96 sound card problems.

prman

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I was able to install the TerraTec 6fire 24/96 internal sound card with Windows 7 using the last driver that TerraTec has on their ftp site for legacy products. But the corresponding software control panel does not work with it. The card/panel interface obviously needs a new driver for Windows 7, but it's not clear that TerraTec will now support an older product since they now are selling a "replacement" 6fire unit with a USB interface (at $250). Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I use this every day and I don't know anything currently on the market that would replace it exactly, with the front panel/RCA jacks and all. What to do?

prman

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for responding. The software control panel does not control all the audio, including internally generated sounds as it used to. Windows Media Player plays through the card, but the software panel cannot control the sound level. I have to use the WMP volume control or the Windows audio level control. There is some audible distortion, and most importantly, Wavelab 6 Studio does not recognize the card for recording wave forms. I get the following message when trying to record:
"Cannot open Wave device for recording. Are you sure your audio card supports the currently specified sample rate and/or bit resolution? Check also if the input of the audio card is in slave or auto-sync mode."

When I attempt to install the ASIO driver, there is a whistling sound coming out of the speakers. Never had these problems with the card/audio interface before, in Windows XP.

mc fontaine

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009

Hiya,

I've been having the same problems, but i think i've "sort of" fixed them.

The Terratec DMX Fire 24/96 has been "end of life'd" by Terratec, so i guess no windows 7 drivers will be written (i think its very poor of the company, won't make me go out and EVER buy anything from them again). But they did write a vista driver for the card. This is what i have ended up doing ...

Uninstall the sound card in windows Control Panel --> Device Manager
Uninstall the control panel in Control Panel --> Programs and Features

Then go to the Terratec ftp download site :-

http://ftp.terratec.de/Audio/DMX6fire2496/Update/ and download DMX_6fire_2496_App_Drv_Vista_XP_5.53.3.144.exe

Reinstall the sound card using this driver. Install ControlPanel 5.51c.

Go into Control Panel --> Sound and configure your speakers for how you have them setup. Then click on their Properties and Advance and set the default format to 24bit 48000.

Now right click on Control Panel and in the Compatability Tab select Run as Administrator AND to run as Windows XP Service Pack 3.

That should do it for you. I've not found a way around ASIO blue screening the machine yet but i'm working on it.

Good luck and any problems let me know.

mc fontaine

Robad

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Hi,

Did you get any further with this? I too have this problem. Upgraded PC from XP to Win7 recently. I'm using control panel v5.51.03.142 and driver v5.52.03.143. I know the above file claims to be v5.53.03.144, but I don't believe it is. Win7 x64 sound drops out at random and then comes back! Win7 x32 has that whistling sound and blue-screens. Tried moving my music stuff (Cubase, etc) but gave up and kept an XP install for that.

I'm considering the Roland/Edirol UA-25EX. Already has Win7 drivers and a much more reliable manufacturer. Bit much paying ~£200 just for the lack of a Win7 driver though :-(

I'll try the admin/XP3 setting to see if it helps with the sound drop-outs.

Rob

mc fontaine

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
After thinking at first i had fixed it i started to get very strange things happening with my card, drop out and overloads etc. After 4 weeks trying everything i knew i just couldn't keep my DMX 6Fire in a reliable state.

After e-mailing Terratec a number of time and getting no replies i have given up. The company have no idea of customer support or service.

I SHALL NEVER BUY TERRATEC PRODUCTS AGAIN.

What ever you do don't also buy anything from CREATIVE as their support is also totally rubbish. I have got a X-FI Elite Pro, i have got it to work but only after 3 days of installing and uninstalling drivers/hardware.

All this shows is that hardware companies are really letting us all down. They had plenty of time with the beta release of Windows 7 to sort all of these problems out.

All i can say is VOTE WITH YOUR CASH.

Robad

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
That's a shame. But I agree with your sentiments. I also have a Terratec MIDI Hubble, which was never that happy under XP. But Win7 x64 thinks it's an audio device and refuses to recognise it.
As I said before, my solution is to dual-boot and do the important stuff in XP.

G

I agree with the sentiment that i will never buy another terratec product again - i have emailed them many times and never had a reply. I have had to go out and buy a new soundcard (Focusrite Sapphire Pro) and im putting this in the 'round filing cabinet' Terratec are just lazy not realeasing updated drivers.
After spending over £200 on this card i have had to spend a similar amount again- they are useless and i hope they go bust soon!
For other readers of this - i tried everything under the sun to get this working with vista - i did try those homebrew drivers but they caused frequent drop-outs and blue screens - i bought the card for its ASIO capabilities so that i could run cubase/ableton but since upgrading to vista , like i said i tried everything and nothing ever worked right. What is the point in having a card that can pack up the sound whenever it feels like it??? Give it up as a bad job - smash the card up with a hammer and send it back to terratec with some dog-doo in the box for good measure.....one VERY UNHAPPY customer.....

LunarG

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
I've always been very fond of my DMX 6Fire 24/96, but as I've now taken the step over to Windows 7, I've decided I don't want the headache of trying to get an older card to work on a new OS. I mean, it's been around for close to a decade now. We can't expect Terratec to keep supporting it forever (although I wish). I've been thinking of getting the DMX 6Fire USB, but it seems to be hard to get hold of now, and support for Windows 7 is apparently questionable. In the end, I had a long look around the net and ended up ordering an ESI ProDigy 7.1 Hifi. It is also based on the Envy24 (although it's the HT version), so it comes with excellent ASIO2.0 support. It doesn't however have the nice input/output drive bay unit, but can't have it all I guess.

Point is, I think it's unfair to complain about Terratec's lack of support for an end-of-life product. It's a good soundcard, definately, but what company still offers new drivers for 8-10 year old products?

G

It's not unfair. Plenty of other companies offer new drivers for end of life products. Most the printer manufacturers offer drivers for their end of life printers as do most video card manufacturers, why can't Terratec. The biggest reason why Terratec should continue to make drivers for this product is because there's no other product like it on the market today. If we could all go out and buy something else that had the same capabilities I think we would but there's nothing else out there.

Nicola P

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
I agree with the sentiment that i will never buy another terratec product again - i have emailed them many times and never had a reply. I have had to go out and buy a new soundcard (Focusrite Sapphire Pro) and im putting this in the 'round filing cabinet' Terratec are just lazy not realeasing updated drivers.
After spending over £200 on this card i have had to spend a similar amount again- they are useless and i hope they go bust soon!
For other readers of this - i tried everything under the sun to get this working with vista - i did try those homebrew drivers but they caused frequent drop-outs and blue screens - i bought the card for its ASIO capabilities so that i could run cubase/ableton but since upgrading to vista , like i said i tried everything and nothing ever worked right. What is the point in having a card that can pack up the sound whenever it feels like it??? Give it up as a bad job - smash the card up with a hammer and send it back to terratec with some dog-doo in the box for good measure.....one VERY UNHAPPY customer.....

Hi,
I agree with your complaint.

Recently I bough the DMXFire USB, though I have installed on another machine with Windows XP SP3 that still works but has not the lopoback driver.
I installed the DMXFire USB on a new computer with Windows 7 pro, but, despite what it's written on Terratec site about it's compatibilty with Windows 7 , I cannot use the loopback . The system does not see this driver.
I have emailed to Terratec in Germany, because this card was bought from Redcoon and Italian Terratec, contacted by phone to get an help for this issue, refused to support me replying that I must contact Terratec in Germany, I did it several days ago but I did'nt received yet any reply from them.
The sound card works very well, the quality of the sound it is superbe (I listen to flac files thru Rokit 5 with a Rokit subwoofer driven by an old BGW preamp) but I need to use the loopback to record streamings and to do this I must connect it on the machine with Windows XP.

Terratec makes very good and reliable products but the customer care is far away their behaviour.
I understand that the model 24/96 is an old product, though it is not discontinued yet so it is possible that the factory stopped to update the drivers to Windows 7. I tried to install it with the drivers suggested, on Windows 7, but random clicks in the sound and freezing of the pc using the control panel, forced me to resign. The problem is that the same negligence in the customers care occours even now with the USB model.
An example? I tried on the web to find updates of the driver 1.11.00 and I found that in the Terratec.de's FTP there was the driver 1.11.0.19. What my disappointment when I realized that they 've changed only the name, because the driver was the same old 1.11.00 :(.
This is the reason why I am here, just to look for someone had the same issues with the USB model.

Nicola

Blade_17

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

This worked for me :) on windows 7 x64 ultimate
no pops or crackles ,
some sliders on the control panel don't seem to work but i can access them in Volume mixer

ASIO Blue screening still an issue ,
But ive found that FL studio 9 and Mixcraft 5 can have full use over ASIO
the ASIO Problem lies in the Terratec Control Panel compatability with 7

Blade

shadowhunt

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
having problems with my dmx,reformatted my hard drive,reinstalled xp home but it refuses to recognise the dmx,tried using the drivers from the terratec wbsite but still wont recognise it.
maybe its xp fault?
also ,bearing in mind have had the pc for 10 years windows now keeps asking me to activate it which i did years ago.
the pc isnt connected to the net so dont know what i should do?