Windows Doesn't Detect Sound Card Anymore

Lude2Envy

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
I recently got a new case for my computer (Coolermaster Gladiator 600) and when I switched everything over I replaced my old CD-RW with a Pioneer SATA DVD-RW. I also have an EIDE LG DVD-RW. I also added the Corsair Hydro Series H50 and some additional fans etc... My other specs are as follows:

ASUS M4A79T Deluxe Mobo
AMD Phenom II 955 BE CPU
4 gigs OCZ AMD Edition
EVGA GeForce 9800GX2
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Dual WD Raptor 150s in RAID 0
Corsair 750W PSU
Windows XP Pro SP3

Before I switched cases everything worked just fine. After the switch, my sound no longer worked. I went in device manager and there was the little yellow " ! " on the sound card. I shut the computer down, removed the card, booted back into windows, shut the computer down again, reinstalled the card, and booted. Windows detected the card and it worked fine. Shortly after that the sound stopped working again. This time the sound card didn't even show up in device manager...it was gone completely. Last night I did a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and still no sound card showing in the device manager.

The only thing different from a hardware standpoint from the case switch is:

1. Replaced an EIDE CD-RW with a SATA DVD-RW
2. Connected the front panel USB ports to the mobo
3. Connected the front audio connectors to the sound card
4. Connected the front panel E-SATA connector to the mobo

I think the problem stems from a hardware conflict somewhere but I'm not positive and if so I don't see why 2 SATA devices being added could cause the Sound Card to not show up in Windows. Incase any of you were wondering, yes I did disable the onboard sound in the BIOS. Sorry about the lengthy post but I wanted to make sure I included everything. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Here's a couple of things you could do which could give a clue

Try unplugging the front panel connectors from the sound card
Try plugging the card in another slot
Try the card in another PC

Of course, update your drivers to the latest version.

My thoughts :hello:

Lude2Envy

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
My other PCI slot is blocked by my massive video card. I did get it working however. With Windows 7 now installed, I did the same thing as before......shut the computer down, remove the sound card, boot the computer, shut it down again, reinstall the card, and boot back into Windows. Its been working fine now for a few days.