Status
Not open for further replies.

shinerthetech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
I have a gateway 400vtx (several of them actually) and I am unable to get XP disc to boot. Same problem on all of them.

INTEL Boot Agent Version 4.0.19
PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, Check Cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting INTEL PXE ROM
Operating System Not Found

My steps so far:

Wiped HDD
Reset bios
Disabled lan
boot order is disc>hdd>other>lan

I can get a Linuxlive disc to run perfectly fine on them, but cant get a windows install disc to load.

Running out of ideas here... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
If you have an option in the BIOS to boot to USB should do so. How about trying to make a Linux USB boot? I doubt the laptop will be locked to just boot off an OEM XP disk, but who knows. Maybe it can read the disk and if it's not a Gateway OEM disk ignores it.

shinerthetech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

Yes the disc works on other pc's. I have multiple install discs.
I've tried f10 and chosen boot from cd, with the same error... But when i do this with linuxlive cd, works fine.

i've ruled out a bad drive, bad discs

Are these MS XP disks or copies? The drives may have issues reading the disks if they are burned. Try to burn the disks at a lower speed.

You can put the XP setup on a flash drive, that should work.
http://myeeeguides.wordpress.com/2008/11/15/winsetupfromusb-install-windows-xp-from-usb-flash-drive/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/111406-how-to-install-xp-from-usb/

shinerthetech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

I've tried burning at lower speeds with same results. I don't have a flash drive big enough at the moment. Have a 32gb coming in today (hopefully). I will try that and report back.

Thanks for all the help thus far =)

You should only need a 1 gig flash drive, XP fits on a regular CD with no issues, and the boot files don't take up much room at all.

shinerthetech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

cannot boot to usb either. I believe the laptop is too old to recognize. Time to trash it i think

If you have an option in the BIOS to boot to USB should do so. How about trying to make a Linux USB boot? I doubt the laptop will be locked to just boot off an OEM XP disk, but who knows. Maybe it can read the disk and if it's not a Gateway OEM disk ignores it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.