Sign in with
Your question

Recommend me a power supply

Last response: in Components
November 4, 2009 1:15:59 PM

Hi guys,

I've had some trouble with my PC lately and I've figured the problem is with my PSU, so I need a new one. However, I don't really know what I should get, so I came here for your wise advice.

Here are my specs:

CPU : Core2Duo E8500
Mobo: ASUS P5QL-E
GPU : HIS Radeon 4870 (it has two PCI-E power inputs)

My other PSU is a Thermaltake Toughpower 750W, but I figured 750W isn't really necessary for what I have. Actually my main question is what power I really need.

I think my motherboard has one 24-pin connector plus the 8-pin connector.

If you have recommendations from either Thermaltake, Coolermaster, Super Flower or LC Power, that would be great since my local store mainly has PSUs from those manufacturers.

Thanks a lot,
belgerog

More about : recommend power supply

a b ) Power supply
November 4, 2009 1:28:51 PM

With 500W PSU you have enough for your PC. CoolerMaster, Thermaltake, OCZ....
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 4, 2009 1:32:30 PM

Thermaltake EVO_Blue W0306RU 550W
m
l
Related resources
a c 144 ) Power supply
November 5, 2009 7:07:44 AM

Unfortunately, none of those are what I would call really good brands. I prefer Corsair and some Antecs.

I'd recommend a 550 watt Corsair if you could get one.
m
l
November 5, 2009 9:16:48 AM

The only PSU brand on your list i would recommend is the Coolermaster, a 500W sould be sufficent depending on the number of HDD you have, less than 3 and you'll be fine.
m
l
November 5, 2009 10:05:22 AM

An Antec Earthwatts 500 would be my choice. Mine has been running for almost a year with no problem. Their warranty is also nice.
m
l
November 5, 2009 11:01:21 AM

Hi I'm new to system building and currently building the following:
i7 920 (overclocked to 3.8)
6gd ddr corsair ram
2x GTX260
2x 300gd velociraptors

I have a Corsair 850w power supply and want to make sure that this going to be sufficent - on Corsair PSU finder it suggests 1000w - but surely
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 5, 2009 11:24:37 AM

nemnems said:
Hi I'm new to system building and currently building the following:
i7 920 (overclocked to 3.8)
6gd ddr corsair ram
2x GTX260
2x 300gd velociraptors

I have a Corsair 850w power supply and want to make sure that this going to be sufficent - on Corsair PSU finder it suggests 1000w - but surely

--------------------------------

Is enough, or see your self. http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 5, 2009 4:18:29 PM

xsever said:
An Antec Earthwatts 500 would be my choice. Mine has been running for almost a year with no problem. Their warranty is also nice.

This is a good choice PSU for the OP's setup. 500W should be enough for his system, and the EA-500 has two PCI-E power inputs. It is also Antec's top rated power supply on NewEgg. I know OP has stated that he doesn't think his local retailer carries Antec, but it might be nice to check anyway. :sol: 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 5, 2009 8:59:08 PM

jsc said:
Unfortunately, none of those are what I would call really good brands. I prefer Corsair and some Antecs.

I'd recommend a 550 watt Corsair if you could get one.

I don't really know about the others but coolermaster makes excellent power supplies. Corsair and Coolermaster are both top contenders. I'd never put one over the others except for the occasonal price difference between them. This subject is completely entitled though so i guess its based on personal expirience. I've just had an excellent expirience with both corsiar and coolermaster.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
November 5, 2009 11:20:36 PM

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units.
m
l
November 7, 2009 8:05:15 PM

Corsair HX550.
m
l
!