Sign in with
Your question

New computer 1k-1.3k€

Last response: in Systems
August 9, 2009 4:14:25 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: the coming days/weeks
BUDGET RANGE: 1000-1300 euro (I'm flexible though, willing to go over if the price and quality are right)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: watching movies, gaming, surfing the internet, microsoft office programs

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: none, I live in Europe and can't use them

PARTS PREFERENCES: none, as long as they're good but not overpriced :D 

OVERCLOCKING: Yes or at least maybe, but in any case only a little

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes, in the future

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I don't really know, something flashy :p 

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like a quiet PC, and also a very upgradeable one

------------

currently I'm thinking of:

POWER SUPPLY UNIT: Corsair TX750W 750W PSU ATX
129 €

CASE: Antec Sonata Elite Case ATX No PSU (is this good enough, would it handle cooling and space demands for future sli'ing/overclocking?)
91€

COOLING: only standard equipment, nothing extra (is that OK?)

MOTHERBOARD:

***IF AMD THEN MSI MB 790FX-GD70 790FX+Sb750 AM3 GLAN SATA RAID 1394
190€

***IF INTEL THEN Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P/ATX Ix58 DDR3 LGA1366
247€

CPU

either AMD Cpu PHENOM II X4 955 Quad Core AM3 8MB 3200MHz BOX
198€ (I should wait for the 965 to come out in a week or so probably?)

or

Intel Cpu CORE i7 920 2.66GHz QPI4.8GT/s 8MB LGA1366 BOX
282€

GRAPHICS CARD: MSI VGA R4870-T2D1G 1GB PCI-Express DDR5 HDMI TVO DVI
172€ --> should I get a different one? the nvidia ones are soooo expensive? I'm thinking about going a bit cheap then crossfiring it when the model drops in price a lot and a single version of it is outdated

OR

Gigabyte GV-N275UD-896I/GTX 275 896MB GDDR
238€ --> is this card worth its price, is it better than one above? there is also a MSI VGA N275GTX-TWINFROZER 896MB OC PCI-Express DDRIII version that is 270€...

RAM: DDRAM 2GB DDR3-1333 PC3-10600 CL9 Kingston
x3 = 135€

HARD DISK: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1.0TB S-ATA II 32Mb
91€

DVD RW: NEC DVD+/-RW AD-7240S-0B 24x SATA Black No Soft
27€

excluding the motherboard, cpu and gpu that comes down to 473€
--> going for AMD would bring me at 1037€ (nvidia card not an option due to motherboard not sli compatible)
--> going for Intel would bring me at 1002 ***without gpu***

extra stuff: do I need my own embedded card (12€ extra; btw it's not clear to me what this does, apparantly it provides amongst others a USB 2.0 slot?) or is standard equipment sufficient? any other suggestions?

my priorities are basically to have a decent PC for years to come, with lots of upgrading capabilities
I'm mainly wondering whether to choose between amd or intel / and ati or nvidia...

I was leaning towards AMD but if you look at the difference in my actual price between amd and intel i7 920 then my preference is rather going to intel... assuming there are no technologies that will obsolete the motherboards in the coming months and that the phenom ii x4 chip 960 is not going to be outperform the i7 920 (will it?)

finally... is my choice for motherboards good?

sooo what do you all think? it took me like 4 days to compile this information so I hope I didn't screw up :sol: 

More about : computer

August 9, 2009 4:21:17 PM

both are good builds but where you from
August 9, 2009 4:31:21 PM

you could look at the antec 902 or 1200 cases for a bit cooler options the cooler master haf or cosmos cases but if you looking for a bit extra headroom on overclocking (how can you not talk overclocking on an amd black edition) but you'll have to look a round to see what you can get any of these will do fine http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269349-31-best-1366-c...
Related resources
August 9, 2009 9:44:49 PM

belgium, not much online sellers active here

I might get a 1200 ordering through the netherlands but then I'll need to order some more there to justify the transport costs...

I've just been reading how intel is going to launch a new i5 line and now I'm even more confused as to which CPU I should buy :pt1cable:  I'm now thinking to wait a couple of days for an amd phenom ii x4 965, although from the few prospective benchmarks I saw on the net it would be beaten by the new processors intel is launching in september :cry:  :??: 
August 9, 2009 10:34:31 PM

the i5 an the amd will be neck an neck but the amd will still be at a better price
August 9, 2009 11:56:33 PM

Get the 1200 from azerty.nl or salland.eu ( got mine from azerty)

actually order everything from either those site's
August 10, 2009 7:00:14 AM

I had been looking at azerty, but I'll go and check out this salland site

the thing is that I have a physical shop nearby that is more expensive than those sites, but for many parts the difference in price is reasonable and given that with those online shops you probably have extra delivery costs and some risk with damaged deliveries and harder to reach customer support I prefer to buy the products with small price difference in that shop

I think I will be buying more parts from those sites than I originally thought though, they are much quicker in lowering their prices when something new comes out
August 10, 2009 8:49:07 AM

both azerty and salland have great policy's when it comes to RMA ,warrenty's etc

Btw, definitly get the 1200 i loved it and so will you lol!!
August 10, 2009 9:01:07 AM

haw about cm haf 932.Also how about a hd 4890? they're both really good.
!