Core i7 system, tons of problems

todd5854

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I recently bought my core i7 setup.

Nothing but problems. Maybe it's my fault, I'm not sure.

Specs:
CPU: Core i7 920 Stock cooler, stock settings
Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P
Memory: 6gb OCZ Gold 1600 (Currently running at 1066 but I know why)
Video Card: Diamond HD 4890, stock settings
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
HDD: 500gb Western Digital 7200RPM 16mb cache (Currently the weakest link in the system)
IDE DVD: Sony DDU1662
Operating System: Windows 7 Build 7127 x64

Problems noticed so far:

Problem 1:

I can't get the rear channels to work AT ALL!!! It's the integrated motherboard sound.
-Front works
-Center works
-Rear does not
-Mic works
-Line in works
-Side works

When I plug it in, the Realtek menu comes up and says "What did you plug in?" and I can check what I plugged in. I tried plugging the rear sound in a different plug, and telling it I plugged in rear sound...no luck. It seems like it might be a driver problem. Windows 7 isn't the best for x86 driver compatability.

Problem 2:

Motherboard takes a long time to post. When I turn the computer on, the video card fan is maxed. Ten seconds later, it slows up a bit. Three seconds after that, it slows down to normal speed. This is when I get something on the screen. I have NOT flashed the bios, but I think I'm going to. Maybe that'll fix my problems.

Problem 3:

Under ANY kind of load, electronic noise can be heard from the graphics card. I looked that up, and apparently it's common on the 4890's?

Conclusion:

This is ridiculous.

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Answer to problem two: The gigabyte board checks all the components in the time all fans blow. I have the same "problem" but it doesn't really disturb me.

Problem 3: what is electronic noise? I personally don't hear anything from my 4890 when it's in 2d mode. Maybe just because my ears aren't as sensitive as yourse.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
I have the same board. My vid cards' fans all max out during initial boot as well. Doesn't bother me. Sound issue may be drivers. Might as well try to flash the BIOS if new drivers don't solve problem, it isn't likely you'll cause permanent damage as the board has dual BIOSes.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
For slow boots, check your bios. I know my Evga X58 SLI takes a bit longer than my old 790i did to boot but its not a ridiculous amount. See if you have any unnecessary boot devices enabled. Your board may be searching and waiting for things like bootable network/usb device/cd-rom/extra HD that are not being used. You can turn those off under boot device order. Also some board have raid controllers and if you have placed your drive on one of the raid ports even though it is not raided, the raid controller may analyse it on boot up to see if it is part of raid setup and will slow down your boot times.

It also seems like most of your problems are sound related. You would be better served with an external sound card that is better isolated from the board and offers better sound and features than the generic sound built into most mobo's since that is very important to you.

todd5854

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Problem 1: Resolved

How?

Gigabyte decided NOT to follow the standard. Usually the black color coded plug is rear. On this board, it's side channels. For 7.1 audio.

Problem 2: What you said makes sense, and it's not bad.

Problem 3: If you have a laptop, pick up the power supply, and hold it to your ear. That buzzing you hear, is electronic noise. If you have to hold it to your head, it's normal. If you can hear it across the room, there's a power circuit problem.

Looks like everything is looking up after all.

G

1. Nice choice going with Gigabyte. Glad you figured out how the sound plugs are set up.
2. Your overall boot time is going to be based partly on what startup programs you allow to run when you turn the system on. My recommendation is that you never turn your system off. You will prevent the issue of bootup-shortout problems this way. You can and may very well some day experience this problem if you always turn your system off after you use it. Remember that dust is collecting in your system all the time and to blow it out about once a month if you are going to turn your system on and off.
3. You should have gone with the nVidia GTX 260 or better. I like the improvements in the new AMD graphics cards, but they still are at least 2 years behind nVidia in graphics performance.

Need more help, contact me at www.acscustomcreations.com

say what? The 4890 performs similarly to the GTX275 and the 4870 performs similarly to the GTX260. How is ATI atleast 2 years behind nvidia when they have new cards due out in october that will blow the current generation away?

What is the bootup-shortout problem to which you refer and why have i never hear of nor experience it? I had an old P4 that got shut off after i was done using it everytime, and it only got cleaned out about once a year, and it is still going fine with my father now.

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Please don't turn this into an Ati Nvidia fanboy rant. Leave that for the graphics card section.
Also, scidan, there is something on your nose.

To the OP, the noise could also be coming from your PSU, but I have heard of people saying that their gpu is 'humming'. You could try and RMA your card and see if the replacement also 'hums'.

todd5854

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
1. Nice choice going with Gigabyte. Glad you figured out how the sound plugs are set up.
2. Your overall boot time is going to be based partly on what startup programs you allow to run when you turn the system on. My recommendation is that you never turn your system off. You will prevent the issue of bootup-shortout problems this way. You can and may very well some day experience this problem if you always turn your system off after you use it. Remember that dust is collecting in your system all the time and to blow it out about once a month if you are going to turn your system on and off.
3. You should have gone with the nVidia GTX 260 or better. I like the improvements in the new AMD graphics cards, but they still are at least 2 years behind nVidia in graphics performance.

Need more help, contact me at www.acscustomcreations.com

1. Gigabyte is fine. No problems now.
2. There is a longtime interval from when I push the button to when I see something on the screen, not from post to actual booting. In other words, Posting takes time.
3. 4890 is better than GTX 260. Even the GTX 285 doesn't support the new version of direct X, 10.1.

So anyone helping me, I think I'm going to exchange the graphics card for a working one. If that one is also f#cked, I'll try a GTX 285.