Sign in with
Your question
Closed

new OS install on ssd with raid 0 drives on Asus M4A79XTD EVO

Last response: in Storage
May 23, 2011 4:37:10 AM

Stuck trying to get my raid 0 WD drives to show up on Asus M4A79XTD EVO motherboard. I have the 2 WD's in SATA's 3&4, and the new Vertex2 SSD in SATA 6 with Win7 and OS stuff only. The SSD shows (IDE setting) but no RAID (raid setting). Do I need to download the ACHI drivers? Will that enable me to run the Raid storage and SSD OS? Am I screwd and need a third party RAID device for this setup (due to motherboard restraints) or am I not configuring this right? Should I move the SSD to slot 1 or 2 on the SATA lineup? Any help is appreciated, after midnight and falling asleep trying to figure this out, and up at 6 am.....
May 23, 2011 12:03:06 PM

So have just changed SSD to SATA 2 connection, and all drives are seen. However, there is a conflict when trying to boot up with the SSD (set as priority in BIOS), with the RAID setup on the WD's, it won't follow through, sends me back to reboot. So I put the Configuration for the SATA setups (1-4) to IDE and it boots but no RAID of course......scratching my noobing head. Do I need a separate controller for this setup, seems it should not be that hard, or am I missing something completely obvious?
Score
June 1, 2011 3:12:33 PM

So if you already have Windows on your ssd you can do what i did which was to set port 1-4 to RAID and port 5-6 to IDE in your bois. Then connect your raid array to any port 1-4 and your ssd to either port 5-6.Then setup your raid array, details on this step can be found in the motherboard manual. Just press crtl F during the ROM Utility screen. Than you can boot into windows from your ssd. Once into windows you will have to download the SATA ACHI/RAID driver and use the device manager to update the raid controller driver. After you do that your storage hard drives will show up in storage manger.
Score
Related resources
August 19, 2013 6:28:56 PM

Loreraven said:
So have just changed SSD to SATA 2 connection, and all drives are seen. However, there is a conflict when trying to boot up with the SSD (set as priority in BIOS), with the RAID setup on the WD's, it won't follow through, sends me back to reboot. So I put the Configuration for the SATA setups (1-4) to IDE and it boots but no RAID of course......scratching my noobing head. Do I need a separate controller for this setup, seems it should not be that hard, or am I missing something completely obvious?

Hello guys, i know this topic it's quite old, but i'm having exactly the same issue as you mention. Can't figure out were to put the SSD and the drives to be recognized on the BIOS, cause if i set RAID it will not recognize any, but if i set ACHI it will only boot my SSD (ADATA) and the drives are just recognized on the OS but as separate ones under system management. Please any help will be apreciated.
Score
a c 80 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 885 G Storage
August 19, 2013 7:38:31 PM

Please don't revive 2 year old threads or post your problems in someone elses. Please feel free to start a new thread of your won for everyone to see and assist you with.
Score
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b G Storage
August 19, 2013 8:48:25 PM

popatim said:
Please don't revive 2 year old threads or post your problems in someone elses. Please feel free to start a new thread of your won for everyone to see and assist you with.

Yes. This is against board rules. Start a new topic before bumping a year old thread.
Score
!