Transfer Neigborhoods from Computers...

Last response: in Video Games
July 11, 2005 10:29:40 PM

I've played the Sims 2 for awhile on one computer, but got another, and
am playing exculsively on that computer now. I want to transfer my old
neighborhoods from one computer to another (and also rename them, as I
want to transfer along Pleasantview and Strangetown from this
computer). How would I do this?
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 12:13:33 AM

Jeanie wrote:
> "Admiral DanielSBen" <Admiral_DanielSBen@excite.com> wrote in message
> > I've played the Sims 2 for awhile on one computer, but got another, and
> > am playing exculsively on that computer now. I want to transfer my old
> > neighborhoods from one computer to another (and also rename them, as I
> > want to transfer along Pleasantview and Strangetown from this
> > computer). How would I do this?
>
> Copy the neighborhoods folder from My Documents/EA Games/Sims2. If you have
> custom content in the houses in those neighborhoods, you should also copy
> the Downloads folder. Pleasantville is Neighborhood 1, Strangetown is
> Neighborhood 2 and Veronaville is Neighborhood 3. I don't know what will
> happen if you try to rename the original neighborhoods on the new computer.
> If you simply copy your old neighborhood folder over the new one, it will
> replace the neighborhoods.

Here's the deal: I don't want to replace the neighborhoods, as I have
other versions of Pleasantview and Strangetown already on the new
computer... should i rename them Neighborhood 5 and Neighborhood 6 on
the new computer, then?
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 6:18:29 AM

"Admiral DanielSBen" <Admiral_DanielSBen@excite.com> wrote in message
> I've played the Sims 2 for awhile on one computer, but got another, and
> am playing exculsively on that computer now. I want to transfer my old
> neighborhoods from one computer to another (and also rename them, as I
> want to transfer along Pleasantview and Strangetown from this
> computer). How would I do this?

Copy the neighborhoods folder from My Documents/EA Games/Sims2. If you have
custom content in the houses in those neighborhoods, you should also copy
the Downloads folder. Pleasantville is Neighborhood 1, Strangetown is
Neighborhood 2 and Veronaville is Neighborhood 3. I don't know what will
happen if you try to rename the original neighborhoods on the new computer.
If you simply copy your old neighborhood folder over the new one, it will
replace the neighborhoods.

Jeanie

July 12, 2005 8:44:38 AM

> Jeanie wrote:
> > "Admiral DanielSBen" <Admiral_DanielSBen@excite.com> wrote in message
> > > I've played the Sims 2 for awhile on one computer, but got another,
and
> > > am playing exculsively on that computer now. I want to transfer my old
> > > neighborhoods from one computer to another (and also rename them, as I
> > > want to transfer along Pleasantview and Strangetown from this
> > > computer). How would I do this?
> >
> > Copy the neighborhoods folder from My Documents/EA Games/Sims2. If you
have
> > custom content in the houses in those neighborhoods, you should also
copy
> > the Downloads folder. Pleasantville is Neighborhood 1, Strangetown is
> > Neighborhood 2 and Veronaville is Neighborhood 3. I don't know what
will
> > happen if you try to rename the original neighborhoods on the new
computer.
> > If you simply copy your old neighborhood folder over the new one, it
will
> > replace the neighborhoods.
>
> Here's the deal: I don't want to replace the neighborhoods, as I have
> other versions of Pleasantview and Strangetown already on the new
> computer... should i rename them Neighborhood 5 and Neighborhood 6 on
> the new computer, then?

I don't know if that will work or not. It might cause the game to crash,
If it does, simply remove the Neighborhoods folder from the new computer
(I'd copy it onto the desktop for the time being) and restart your game.
The game will regenerate a new one with the original neighborhoods in the
same state they were when you first installed the game. Then you could go
back to the desktop and take your versions of Neighborhoods 1, 2, and 3 and
put them back into that My Documents folder, letting them overwrite the ones
the game just created. That should put you back where you were before you
started. It would be a very good idea, though, to back up those
neighborhood folders somewhere else before you start all this shuffling
around.

See, the problem (if there is one) might lie in that little file in the
neighborhoods folder called NeighborhoodManager.package. It gets larger
when you add more neighborhoods. I don't know what it does, exactly, but
having two Pleasantville neighborhoods in there (as well as two of the other
two as well) might confuse the computer. I don't know how to go about
renaming the neighborhoods, either, or even if that's possible.

Another solution might be to run two editions of the game. You can do this
(I think) if you have Windows XP. The game installs in Program Files, and
it would create the My Documents folders for each user. You could try
running the game under a different user name and putting your copied
neighborhoods in that user's My Documents. That might work.

Jeanie
July 12, 2005 3:03:23 PM

>Here's the deal: I don't want to replace the neighborhoods, as I have
>other versions of Pleasantview and Strangetown already on the new
>computer... should i rename them Neighborhood 5 and Neighborhood 6 on
>the new computer, then?

You can do it but you will have to rename all the files in the
neibourhood folder, for pleasantview you must rename all the files in
the N001 folder that start with N001 to N005, I've done it a few times
with Namewiz, it works OK.
!