Transfer Neigborhoods from Computers...

I've played the Sims 2 for awhile on one computer, but got another, and
am playing exculsively on that computer now. I want to transfer my old
neighborhoods from one computer to another (and also rename them, as I
want to transfer along Pleasantview and Strangetown from this
computer). How would I do this?
4 answers Last reply
More about transfer neigborhoods computers

    Jeanie wrote:
    > "Admiral DanielSBen" <Admiral_DanielSBen@excite.com> wrote in message
    > > I've played the Sims 2 for awhile on one computer, but got another, and
    > > am playing exculsively on that computer now. I want to transfer my old
    > > neighborhoods from one computer to another (and also rename them, as I
    > > want to transfer along Pleasantview and Strangetown from this
    > > computer). How would I do this?
    >
    > Copy the neighborhoods folder from My Documents/EA Games/Sims2. If you have
    > custom content in the houses in those neighborhoods, you should also copy
    > the Downloads folder. Pleasantville is Neighborhood 1, Strangetown is
    > Neighborhood 2 and Veronaville is Neighborhood 3. I don't know what will
    > happen if you try to rename the original neighborhoods on the new computer.
    > If you simply copy your old neighborhood folder over the new one, it will
    > replace the neighborhoods.

    Here's the deal: I don't want to replace the neighborhoods, as I have
    other versions of Pleasantview and Strangetown already on the new
    computer... should i rename them Neighborhood 5 and Neighborhood 6 on
    the new computer, then?

    "Admiral DanielSBen" <Admiral_DanielSBen@excite.com> wrote in message
    > I've played the Sims 2 for awhile on one computer, but got another, and
    > am playing exculsively on that computer now. I want to transfer my old
    > neighborhoods from one computer to another (and also rename them, as I
    > want to transfer along Pleasantview and Strangetown from this
    > computer). How would I do this?

    Copy the neighborhoods folder from My Documents/EA Games/Sims2. If you have
    custom content in the houses in those neighborhoods, you should also copy
    the Downloads folder. Pleasantville is Neighborhood 1, Strangetown is
    Neighborhood 2 and Veronaville is Neighborhood 3. I don't know what will
    happen if you try to rename the original neighborhoods on the new computer.
    If you simply copy your old neighborhood folder over the new one, it will
    replace the neighborhoods.

    Jeanie

    > Jeanie wrote:
    > > "Admiral DanielSBen" <Admiral_DanielSBen@excite.com> wrote in message
    > > > I've played the Sims 2 for awhile on one computer, but got another,
    and
    > > > am playing exculsively on that computer now. I want to transfer my old
    > > > neighborhoods from one computer to another (and also rename them, as I
    > > > want to transfer along Pleasantview and Strangetown from this
    > > > computer). How would I do this?
    > >
    > > Copy the neighborhoods folder from My Documents/EA Games/Sims2. If you
    have
    > > custom content in the houses in those neighborhoods, you should also
    copy
    > > the Downloads folder. Pleasantville is Neighborhood 1, Strangetown is
    > > Neighborhood 2 and Veronaville is Neighborhood 3. I don't know what
    will
    > > happen if you try to rename the original neighborhoods on the new
    computer.
    > > If you simply copy your old neighborhood folder over the new one, it
    will
    > > replace the neighborhoods.
    >
    > Here's the deal: I don't want to replace the neighborhoods, as I have
    > other versions of Pleasantview and Strangetown already on the new
    > computer... should i rename them Neighborhood 5 and Neighborhood 6 on
    > the new computer, then?

    I don't know if that will work or not. It might cause the game to crash,
    If it does, simply remove the Neighborhoods folder from the new computer
    (I'd copy it onto the desktop for the time being) and restart your game.
    The game will regenerate a new one with the original neighborhoods in the
    same state they were when you first installed the game. Then you could go
    back to the desktop and take your versions of Neighborhoods 1, 2, and 3 and
    put them back into that My Documents folder, letting them overwrite the ones
    the game just created. That should put you back where you were before you
    started. It would be a very good idea, though, to back up those
    neighborhood folders somewhere else before you start all this shuffling
    around.

    See, the problem (if there is one) might lie in that little file in the
    neighborhoods folder called NeighborhoodManager.package. It gets larger
    when you add more neighborhoods. I don't know what it does, exactly, but
    having two Pleasantville neighborhoods in there (as well as two of the other
    two as well) might confuse the computer. I don't know how to go about
    renaming the neighborhoods, either, or even if that's possible.

    Another solution might be to run two editions of the game. You can do this
    (I think) if you have Windows XP. The game installs in Program Files, and
    it would create the My Documents folders for each user. You could try
    running the game under a different user name and putting your copied
    neighborhoods in that user's My Documents. That might work.

    Jeanie

    >Here's the deal: I don't want to replace the neighborhoods, as I have
    >other versions of Pleasantview and Strangetown already on the new
    >computer... should i rename them Neighborhood 5 and Neighborhood 6 on
    >the new computer, then?

    You can do it but you will have to rename all the files in the
    neibourhood folder, for pleasantview you must rename all the files in
    the N001 folder that start with N001 to N005, I've done it a few times
    with Namewiz, it works OK.

Sims Computers Video Games