adamh9

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Right now I currently have 4GB of Gskill 1333 ram and was thinking about buying 2 more sticks. I am running win 7 64 ultimate, and was wondering if you guys think it's worth the extra $100 or would i not notice much of a difference. Mainly I do mostly gaming, and occasionally some encoding. Thanks for your opinions!

Solution
You probably not notice the difference, 8GB is used for some home system, the rest is for servers that use 8GB or more.

IMO with 4GB is more that enough for the games and applications that exist today, maybe in the future you need more RAM, but not today.
You probably not notice the difference, 8GB is used for some home system, the rest is for servers that use 8GB or more.

IMO with 4GB is more that enough for the games and applications that exist today, maybe in the future you need more RAM, but not today.

Solution

adamh9

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
thanks for the reply.yea the only thing I have heard is something about deleting the page file or something in order to speed up things on the hard drive? Is this anything significant?

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
gaming will not make a difference as of yet as textures are calculated for the majority of ram users. which is either 2 or 3.5 ( Windows 32 bit limit )

more than 4GB would be used in things like photoshop etc on 64 bit mode...

anything which is 64bit optimized will take advantage of the extra space

remember its going to take windows 7 to start the real 64 bit revolution.

adamh9

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
yes i must admit, this is my first experience using a 64 bit system with windows 7. be it as it may, this is also the first time I've ever had more than 2GB of ram =)

Don't worry, all we live the same experience. If you need more advices, just post your question in the forum.

mrmez

Splendid
Im running 8Gb on vista and apart from photoshop and stupid rez photography work, it never even gets even half way full...

My Mac's on the other hand will end up using everything they can. When i had a 2Gb system it was happy enough with that, and my 8Gb system will usually find a way to use everything it can.