ASUS P6X58D Premium problems

Timmyshimmie

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Hello all,

This is my first time posting on these forums as well as my first time with a major issue with a computer.

I recently built a custom gaming computer for myself with a ASUS P6X58D Premium Motherboard.
Mobo: ASUS P6X58D Premium
CPU: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz
GPU: NVIDIA 250GTS 1gb
HD: 1x solid state 40gb hd 1x 1tb hd
Memory: x3 Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3

After I got everything up and running it ran fine for about a week. Yesterday(01/30/10) my computer shut off randomly. I thought it was a power out or something so I turned it back on to find that it wouldn't start. I then tested the PSU which worked fine. fans and LED lights came on. This lead me to believe that there was something wrong with my mother board. I did some more tests, by taking out one stick of ram at a time and trying to turn on the computer, but there was no luck there. I went through a couple more options and found that an 8pin connector at the top of the board was my problem. Everything would turn on like normal without the 8pin connected to to the PSU, but as soon as I plugged the 8pin connector from my PSU into the outlet, the computer would not start.
I have a feeling that this means I will have to replace the mother board, but was posting on here to see if anyone with the same board had a similar problem, and/or if anyone could offer any other form of advice.

Sorry if there is any missing info, new at this : /

tongquang28

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
You can isolate the problem eother motherboard or yuor PSU by check the output of the 8xpin +12 VDC (2x4 pin connectors) by using a volt meter to see if you have a +12 volt between Yellow and Black wires. If it does not show +12V instead shutdown the PSU then that is the PSU "Internal Hard Short" problem then replace the PSU.
If the test is OK , no "internal hard short" then you can tell you have a "short on your motherboard +12V female connectors.

Hope it helps. Good Luck!!

malael

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
more than likely its a problem with your mobo i built a pc as well with that motherboard and it did not work that motherboard is amazing when it works but it does have a high failure rate. my old pc had that exact problem aswell does your pc make any beeps do you have your case speaker installed? if it doesnt do anything with everything connected its more than likely your mobo is busted welcome to the party =[

G

FYI i recently bought the same mobo and have the same problem, although my power supply was brand new and ran for like 10 secs before it smoked the 8 pin on the psu. i could smell it it fryed. same thing if i unplug the 8 pin the comp boots. gonna rma and cross fingers.

kopijoe

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
I had a similar problem with that motherboard recently. About 3 days into using my newly assembled computer, I started experiencing problems booting the computer. Sometimes it would boot fine, other times, nothing would happen. I initially ignored the problem (thought it was my ram that was problematic because after taking out what I thought was a faulty piece, it worked fine again) but at day 5, when I tried to boot the system, it didn't turn on at all. Took out all the ram but the motherboard didn't make any beeping noises as it did before. Blackout. I haven't figured out what exactly caused it.

I've been talking to some people regarding their theories on what caused the motherboard to fail and they've given me a few potential reasons:

1.) The 3d cards could have been the problem, maybe the motherboard couldn't handle the high temp of the cards or the wattage (I have two sapphire radeon 5970's crossfired.)

2.) Problem with the PSU. (I have a cougar 1000watt)

3.) Faulty installation of the parts. (I think not.)

Going through all of these though, I don't think that these are the cause of the failing motherboard. I talked to a guy who used to work for ASUS here and he mentioned that ASUS does receive a large number of motherboards that need replacing. The return rate according to him is a lot higher than other brands.

I'm leaning towards that being the reason for my woes. Was actually searching the net if other people were experiencing the same problem I had. Then I found this post.

Misery loves company. Haha. I had my board replaced. Took me a month to get the new one. Short to no supply from where I come from.

Kopijoe

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
There is a very specific ban for NOT using all 8 pins of the CPU power socket.

I had notes in my box and a block over 4 of the pins that stated specifically NOT to plug in more than one 4 pin PSU power plug for the CPU. Why the 8 pin socket, then? I have no idea.

DaddyO_64

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

I also have the same M/B & also noticed the cover over 4 of the 8 pins. So I called ASUS support & the guy said the board would run fine with either 4 or 8 pins (the book says to use the 8 pin). I guess if you only have a 4 pin connector, it should go in the un-covered pins.

Rich.

c0p0ut

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
System Build: March 2010

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA1366
CPU: Intel i7 930 2.8 GHz Quad-core
RAM: OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800)
PSU: Corsair 750TX ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrissFire Ready
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 5850 XXX Edition OverClocked 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express x16
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
---------------------------------------
No overclocking was done on the system. No problems with system since it was built on March 2010. Within the past 1-2 months, had problems with the computer periodically (once every 2 weeks maybe) shutting down for no reason, while in the middle of gaming or other use. When I started having the periodic shut-downs, I also ran stress tests on the CPU and RAM for several hours, with no overheating or shut-down issues during the tests.

Most recently, I was gaming and the system shut off completely. I have not been able to power it back up since.

Trouble Shooting:
Motherboard had a solid red light, which could not be reset. Called ASUS. Performed some tasks on it. Motherboard RMA'd to ASUS, who then sent me a replacement board.

On the replacement MB, I plugged everything in. Motherboard lights (Power and Reset) illuminate on the board. When I attempt to start it, the fans (CPU and case) move about 2mm, the red light on the board flashes once, but nothing else happens. Cannot duplicate problem until I power off the PSU and turn it back on. Then the same problems.

PSU 24-pin (EATXPWR) removed from the MB and shorted (green/black wires), which allowed the PSU fan to operate along with the CPU and case fans. While shorted, all plug contacts were checked with a voltmeter, diagrammed, and determined to be within acceptable ranges. This confirmed to me that the PSU was still good.

24-pin reconnected to the MB along with the 8-pin (EATX12V). Tried shorting 24-pin while connected to the board, but had same results as 2 paragraphs up.

Removed 8-pin from the MB. Now when turning on the power, my whole case lights up, all fans run (CPU and case), video card powers up (but no video output display to monitor), MB lights are on. This was done with one stick of RAM as well as with all 3 sticks, and in different configurations. This tells me that it is not a problem with the RAM.

No POST beeps are heard, maybe because the CPU is not being powered by the 8-pin.

More Trouble Shooting:
I RMA'd the PSU to Corsair, to see if that is the problem. I received a brand new PSU. I connected my RAM, graphics card, HDD, and PSU to the motherboard. My CPU and fan were already connected. I pressed the power button on the motherboard and got the same response (The CPU fan budged, but nothing else).

I disconnected the 8-pin EATX12V and then pressed the power button on the motherboard. This ran the CPU fan and graphics card fans, and illuminated a light on the motherboard.

So, I have now replaced the motherboard AND the PSU, and I am no farther along in this trouble shoot than before.

Here is a video of what is going on ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyZPTz9uQQM

[youtube]kyZPTz9uQQM[/youtube]

I did some more troubleshooting with ASUS tech support. They said it is remotely possible, but not likely, that the replacement MB they gave me was defective and suggested I do another RMA.

Has anyone else who has had this problem been able to correct it?

c0p0ut

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
I received my 2nd RMA'd board (my 3rd board total), and am having the same problems.

I called Intel, who told me they would RMA my i7 930 processor, however, I could no longer use my OCZ Gold 6 GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM. I told them this RAM was on the approved vendor list for my board. Intel told me the i7 processor can only handle a max of DDR3 1066 RAM, and anything outside those specs would be a problem for me. They told me NOT to put the processor on my board until I had the DDR3 1066 RAM. It almost sounded as if he were threatening to void my warranty if I did, so I'm not taking any chances.

I shipped out my processor, which they should get by the end of the day today (11-08-11, Tue). I have no idea yet when I will be getting the replacement.

I reviewed my board's approved vendor list, and decided on some Kingston ValueRAM. Definately not my first choice. That was 1 of 2 options I had for the processor and board specs that would allow me to max out my RAM. The other option was too expensive.

So, I am going from 6 GB of 1600 RAM to 24 GB of 1066 RAM. My RAM should be coming in on 11-11-11, Fri.

I really hope this solves my problem. I'll keep you posted.