Intel Expands Processor Market Share Over AMD in Q3

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
http://www.pcworld.com/article/181360/intel_expands_processor_market_share_over_amd_in_q3.html

Intel expanded its chip shipment lead over Advanced Micro Devices during the third quarter as the rivals battle for larger market share, according to a survey released by Mercury Research on Tuesday.

Intel shipped 81.5 percent of PC microprocessors in the third quarter, a gain from 81.2 percent of CPUs shipped in the third quarter last year. AMD shipped about 17.8 percent of microprocessors during the third quarter, a gain from 17.7 percent last year.

Discuss...

kettu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
"Intel shipped 81.5 percent of PC microprocessors in the third quarter, a gain from 81.2 percent of CPUs shipped in the third quarter last year. AMD shipped about 17.8 percent of microprocessors during the third quarter, a gain from 17.7 percent last year."

"However, AMD's market share fell compared to the second quarter, when it held an 18.5 percent market share, compared to an 80.5 percent share for Intel."

I don't know if there's much to discuss. What are the margins of error for this survey? I think these numbers are so close that depending on the error margin it could be either way. Status quo ante, in my opinion.

/agreed

A few 10ths of a percent here or there isn't significant. Basically, the study says that their respective market shares are stable. The next question is therefore "...is the overall market growing, or declining?". From those two pieces of information, it's possible to infer future trends.