N.Y. AG accuses Intel of antitrust violations

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33620538/ns/business-us_business/

Intel Corp was sued on Wednesday by New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo, who accused the world's largest chipmaker of scheming to maintain worldwide monopoly power in the market for microprocessors.

Discuss

Cuomo is an animal, he wont lose, and he doesnt give in, and he goes for the throat.
Intels in trouble here, and if more states start doing this, itll be huge problems as well, besides the FTC

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Well I am of the opinion that Intel is guilty and should pay for it's crimes.

The evidence is of the overwhelming kind :p

I too think they are as well, as too much has already gone down.
Whats surprising is that Cuomo jumped the gun here,and beat everyone to the punch, and that a state is pursuing Intel.
This could get very ugly, as not only are states looking for money, but regarding precedence, this may well be considered low hanging fruit

[:grahamlv:3] But this does not favour Intel or make them look good and great, does that mean I have to ban you now? :??: :(

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Complete BS lawsuit. AMD couldn't fulfill their supply channels in that era in spite of the rebate offers so how can you claim damages? I am relieved that our government is so fine tuned and has everything important taken care of to the point they have the resources to attempt crippling yet another company. What next? A CPU czar?

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Yeah... I suppose it's ban time for me :p

Yea, its all about AMD here, not Intel at all.
Its like a 300 pound guy beating the crap outta a 120 pounder, hey, this is ok, he couldnt a fought back anyhow, he only goes 120 pounds, so why charge the big man? heheh

Tell that to someone like Bruce Lee. 5'6" and 135 pounds but scared guys twice his size.

Or Jet Li, Jackie Chan. Small but scary.

I still find it interesting how they wait so long to do it. We heard of this a while ago then after AMD dropped the FAB plans for N.Y. it dissapeared. I guess its back now and they will blame Intel for AMD not building the FAB when its clear that AMD decided to go the 'buy ATI' route instead.

Oh well. We will see how it goes later. Of course if they completely screw Intel to the point that they lose money enough to cut thousands of US based jobs, wouldn't that be the opposite of what we want right now???

My point should be obvious, as in both cases, Im trying to say, regardless of the circumstances, illegal activity shouldnt go unpunished, and if this were people, or another company, alot of this would be redundant, and no one would bother defending this kind of thing, but it bears to point out how some wil go to some ends to defend their choices

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
criminal activity... had Intel not had an aggressive partnership program, AMD most likely would have already been sued out of existence for breech of contract. If they couldn't supply their trickle of CPU's into the commercial line and keep up, they certainly would have been in deep trouble if they would have managed a bigger piece of the pie. I do remember how excited we would get to see AMD SKU's for top end workstations only to find out no CPU's in house. As a rabid AMD fan then it was aggravating since at the time the P4's were junk and the Extremes were just unlocked junk. The product was never the problem, it was getting enough of it to bother messing with. Paint it any delusional color you want but AMD really did poorly in that time frame on their end. Convenient to forget it now but many know how that stuff went down lol

Simply put, yes. He's not fully 100% inline with our Pro-Intel or die thinking. He's not worthy enough to be an IntelZone.com member.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

We could discuss plausible scenarios but at the end of the day we're left with laws which were broken. I have seen enough evidence from one source (a large computer OEM which was subpoena'd) to warrant formulating an opinion on the matter (my myself it is a personal opinion after all). That opinion is that Intel is guilty of the charges laid against it.

My opinion could be wrong. I am, after all, formulating an assumption based on evidence I have seen and the context of this evidence could prove otherwise.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

Those are actually things that have never been established though. You are taking the EU extortion commission as some kind of barometer to how the outcome will be in the states. I think years from now when this actually goes to trial, most claims will be pretty watered down when real evidence is required. I get ya though. IF the claims are as fierce as AMD claims or their shill Charlie D claim, then it is underhanded. My guess is truth will fall somewhere in between though.

Actually, I was thinking of Japan, or or how many do we need?
And how many excuses will we see?
This goes right to my point about Intels IGPs.
Intel isnt perfect.
Like Elmo said, it just doesnt matter about AMD, other than any evidence they can bring in. Its all about Intel and their activities.
Everyone needs to take off their fan hats and seek a better direction, including Intel.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
This guy doesn't wear a fan hat lol. This guy sols his i7 rig and kept his P2 rig because it was the better gamer. These lawsuits are pure ridiculous though. Excuses for futility at the time the way I see it.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Let me add.. The product was better (AMD), but everything around the product could have been done better. Marketing, supply channels, partnerships, presence with OEMS. Some of those could be affected if Intel did go as low as claimed and other things were controllable. Hard to say this many years later though.

Thats your opinion, and good for you.
But, laws exist, and will continue to alot longer than we have time here on earth.
So, we abide the law
If trying to make it frivilous is the point tho, Im not buying. Who knows how bad, how much may have changed etc etc, and if Intel hadnt been called out, how bad itd be now even?
One could say, oh it was only this time, or this amount of time, or, they couldnt or wouldnt do that now, but again, thats opinion here, not truly known.
Talk to a good lawyer (yes, there are some),
Theyll tell you theyll try to seek justice, no matter what, even if there is no defined justice.
Thos definitions reside in our laws, and again, we abide them, and if broken, we break more than just the law itself, but work away at foundations set long ago,foundations set for the betterment of everyone