PCI Express 3.0: On Motherboards By This Time Next Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iqvl

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Good news to peoples like me who haven't spent any money on PCIE 2.0 DX11 card due to nVidia's delay in shipping GTX460.

Can't wait to see PCIE 3.0, native USB3/SATA3, DDR4, quad channel and faster&cheaper SSD next year.

In addition, I hate unreasonably priced buggy HDMI and would also like to see the Ethernet cable(cheap, fast and exceptional) based monitors as soon as possible.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ethernet-cable-hdmi-displayport-hdbaset,10784.html

One more tech that I can't wait to see: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/silicon-photonics-laser-light-beams,10961.html

WOW, so much new techs to be expected next year!

Casper42

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
I havent read this entire article but on a related note I was told that within the Sandy Bridge family, at least on the server side, the higher end products will get PCIe 3.0.

And if you think the Core i3/5/7 desktop naming is confusing now, wait till Intel starts releasing all their Sandy Bridge Server chips. Its going to be even worse I think.

And while we're talking about futures, 32GB DIMMs will be out for the server market most likely before the end of this year. If 3D Stacking and Load Reducing DIMMs remain on track, we could see 128GB on a single DIMM around 2013, which is when DDR4 is slated to come out as well.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
After an unfortunate series of untimely delays, the folks behind PCI Express 3.0 believe they've worked out the kinks that have kept next-generation connectivity from achieving backwards compatibility with PCIe 2.0. We take a look at the tech to come.

It's nice to see the backwards compatibility and cost be key factors in the decision making. Especially considering that devices won't be able to saturate it for many years to come.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Nothing in the world of graphics is getting smaller. Displays are getting larger, high definition is replacing standard definition, the textures used in games are becoming even more detailed and intricate.
Even the graphics cards are getting bigger! :lol:

iqvl

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Even the graphics cards are getting bigger![/citation]
I believe that he meant gfx size per performance. :)

G

Very pleased with all this, looks like 2012 Q1/2 will be my new PC build, should all come together nicely then!

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
This article could have been written in a sentence. PCI-E 3.0 will be out in 2011 and will be faster.

Perhaps you could have explained why CUDA would benefit from this, or what type of apps that use it could. Fusion makes no sense to me, since the GPU and CPU will not be connected using PCI-Express, and be on the same die. Maybe you could explain why these things are going to benefit.

Also, according to the visual, latency will be lowered. Bandwidth is essentially irrelevant in many situations, since it's only rarely fully used, but latency could make itself felt in virtually anything.

You also could have included the extra power use this extra speed will take. It almost certainly will, all other things being equal. That's a huge consideration. If I have to add, say 15 watts to my motherboard, is it worth it for a technology that might not be relevant for many situations, in the relative near term? If it's one or two watts, it's a no brainer, but, if it's a lot higher (which I suspect it might be), people need to really ask if they need this technology, or if it's better to wait until the next purchase, when it might have more value.

With a bit of help from ATi of course. [:mousemonkey]
palit470_temp.png

fball922

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
I wouldn't say that there is no need for PCIe 3.0 for SSDs. Though no drive can saturate a single PCIe 2 lane, what about having 2 on a single lane? There are plenty of SATA 3Gb/s drop in cards that allow 2 (some more?) drives to be connected. If you developed a decent RAID PCIe card for a few SSDs you would most certainly want that on a 3.0 lane.

Oh my the pace of things these days. For all the clocks they could at the least improve I/O performance rather than just the signal clocks and bust bandwidth. The latencies are horrible with AIB (add in boards) and that fact hasn't changed since the ISA days. As for backward compatibility it better work as expected. I would be steamed if my pci-e 1.0 cards didn't work when I want to some retro.

makwy2

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Hopefully by 2011 USB 3.0 and Sata II will be mainstream enough where I won't have to pay a leg and arm to add them to a pci-e 3.x mobo!

Status
Not open for further replies.