Sign in with
Your question

Computer rebooted itself, wont start up again...

Last response: in Windows XP
January 16, 2012 10:06:01 PM

Hello, I have a Windows XP desktop. One day I came home to find that the moniter was black, but the tower was still on and the fans were going top speed. After waiting a very long time I unplugged the computer and tried to reboot it. It loaded up normally, but within a few minutes it just shut itself off again. When I tried to turn it on it just starts spinning the fans, and then something clicks and it retrys. It keeps this up for a few minutes and then just stops. I have tried over and over and a few times the fans have kept going, but the moniter stays black and the computer responds to nothing.

I know this was long, but I am at a loss on what to do.

Thanks in advance...
January 17, 2012 1:05:10 AM

It could be any number of things.

-- Accumulated dust can cause the CPU to overheat, which would shut down the computer. Solution: Open the case side panel and visually inspect. If you find a lot of dust, you could use canned air to blow it out. Especially clear dust from around the fans and the CPU heatsink.

-- The power supply may be failing - not supplying the required current to the motherboard. Solution: Put the power supply on a multimeter to check voltages or replace with a new (or known to be working) power supply.

-- The monitor or the rear panel video output may be failing. Solution: Try a known to be working monitor.
m
l
Related resources
!