Sign in with
Your question

Help w/ Fan Placement (Raven 3)

Last response: in Overclocking
October 3, 2011 6:19:13 PM

Hi! I was wondering what the effect of two fans close together would be. What I mean is currently I have a raven 3 that has a e6600 ocd to 3.33 ghz w/ a hyper 212 with 2 blademaster fans.

If you know about the raven 3 you would know that the 5.25" bays can have fans installed so I have installed an ultra fan from the GRId Case (proly ~50 cfm) into the back of the top one leaving it less than 1.5 to 2inches from the push fan on the hyper 212.

Is this negatively affecting my temperatures or is there actually a benefit to it?

At 1.43v on intel burn test w/ the two 180mm fans on low my temps are 18-21 idle (ambient) and 45-55 load. (lower on games)

my gpu with the fan set on min. (gts 450) is about 28 idle and 45-48 on load (crysis, bad company 2 etc). it is also ocd to 940/1900 (x2 shader) with the volt set to 1.162 (max on afterburner)

There's also a 120mm AP fan from silverstone on the bottom bay aimed at the gpu and another ultra fan as an intake for the hdds.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

My cooling is already excellent but I was wondering for future info since google didn't help me here.

More about : fan placement raven

a b K Overclocking
October 7, 2011 7:24:28 PM

i have the same setup on my case and it seems to work good for me! your just supplying more air to the heat sink. but you can always take it out or move it to see if you get better temps. chances are it wont make a huge difference. if i had 4 fans i would put one in the front bottom (or where it can pull air in from front), back, top, and then on the side that cools the back of the mobo even if i had to mount on the outside. very nice case! hope this helped you out!
October 10, 2011 7:14:11 PM

nagol567 said:
i have the same setup on my case and it seems to work good for me! your just supplying more air to the heat sink. but you can always take it out or move it to see if you get better temps. chances are it wont make a huge difference. if i had 4 fans i would put one in the front bottom (or where it can pull air in from front), back, top, and then on the side that cools the back of the mobo even if i had to mount on the outside. very nice case! hope this helped you out!

How would I mount a fan on the outside though? And yea, it's great. Dust on the hdd side as no filter but no dust from the front or bottom intakes far as I could after a few weeks :D  Filters get dirty fast though, find myself vacuuming every couple days to a week o well I'm kind of obsessive about dust... Had a few pcs die on me because of neglect :??: 
a b K Overclocking
October 10, 2011 8:06:41 PM

If your computer is on the floor you might want to find a way to elevate it a couple of inches so stop dust build up(especially if you have house pets). and dust and vacuum regularly i guess haha. but if it has screw holes that you usually screw the fan in from the outside just put it on the outside and screw em in!
!