Low CFM fan In Front Of High (Raven 3)

rexdale_punjabi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Hi! I planning a new build in a Raven 3 case (dif. from other post) which includes,

8 g skill ripjaw 1333 ddr3
asus z68 pro v
gtx 560 ti evga fpb
and a few hard drives

I am planning to use the hyper 212+ with 2x blademasters, an extra silverstone ap at the bottom of the front intake for the gpu and a blademaster just behind the push fan.

What I was wondering is, I have 2 thermaltake tt-1225 blue led fans from two v3 cases I had and wanted to put them in front of my two front intakes.

Since there is varying cfm and a possibility that one could be a lower cfm than the blademaster, would this negatively impact the cooling of the system?

I will also include a blademaster for the hdd cooling but may put the thermaltake there if it's better. Currently on a dif. system with 1 ~50cfm ultra case fan my single seagate 500gig sata hdd doesnt go above 38c on load.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Why putting one fan in front of the other? In the best of situations the second one would have no effect whatsoever. In most of them though the lower CFM one will "bottleneck" the other, impairing the airflow like any other barrier.

You should take those two fans and put them as exhaustors elsewhere on your case. It seems like you intake much more than you output (3 in x 1 out, not counting the 180mm ones) - so where does all that hot air goes afterwards?

rexdale_punjabi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011

Thank you, so what I'm going to do is take the top thermal take and put it as exhaust on the back near gpu, but leave the bottom one since it has higher cfm than the silverstone. Positive pressure means the hot air gets pushed out. There isn't a lot of room for exhaust on this case anyway, it's meant for intake and the temps prove it. (I had them up for e6600 on another thread running at 390 fsb @ 1.45v (gonna lower) at below 55c load on low fans!)

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011

Well, positive pressure means cold air is pushed in but not necessarily that hot air is forced out - think of a toy ballon in which you block almost totally its opening. The heat will still be inside your case.

I prefer neutral/negative pressure, it does what airflow is supposed to do - take heat away from your stuff.

And for the "exhaust room", if it can take air it can spill air, just install the fan reversed :D

Zooshooter

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

Care to explain how a solid structure that is intaking cooler air does not, logically, force hot air out? Your computer case does not expand like a balloon...