Question about SLI

ehcastro3

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Hi guys...

Is it really worth it to go SLI with gaming? or should I stick with a quad 8400 and a gtx260 pc? I've heard no SLI and quad core motherboards are available atm, except for those mobos that cost like $250 upwards and those need the i7 intel chips...

thanks for any inputs...

and oh what would u recommend for an SLI setup? preferably a mobo that costs about $100 and 2 vid cards that can be SLI'd together....

Solution
I normally don't recommend SLI for a new build, since - as Sniper says, a single video card will run most games at full settings up to 1920. Further, SLI/Crossfire doesn't provide the same benefit in all games, and in MMOs sometimes produces *lower* FPS.

So for me SLI (and its heat and power consumption) is a way to deal with extreme resolutions and provide an upgrade path to extend the life of an older system.

Are you building new or upgrading?

FallenSniper

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
We need more information. Do you already have some parts and are just upgrading? Is this an entirely new build?

As a quick answer, a single 260 will run most games right now at full settings, but it depends on the resolution.

I normally don't recommend SLI for a new build, since - as Sniper says, a single video card will run most games at full settings up to 1920. Further, SLI/Crossfire doesn't provide the same benefit in all games, and in MMOs sometimes produces *lower* FPS.

So for me SLI (and its heat and power consumption) is a way to deal with extreme resolutions and provide an upgrade path to extend the life of an older system.

Are you building new or upgrading?

Solution

ehcastro3

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
ty for the quick reply guys

yes im ordering my1st build...new

the specs i have ordered are:

q8400
gtx260 vid card
dg45id
2gb 800 kingston ram
160gb HDD

yeah i know HDD is quite low...but im in a very tight budget atm...

ehcastro3

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
btw i really dont care for resolutions...as long as it is playable...and some old games i sometimes choose 800x640 coz i can see the buildings/people very big (or clearly), and I would happily go to a lower resolution as long as it will run the game smoothly :)

(or unless u guys will convince me to play games at a higher resolution)

oh the monitor that i will be ordering is 18.5in