bk70

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Hello, i am interested in OCing a q9550 and i was wondering how I would go about this? I do have an arctic cooler 7 heatsink/fan installed on the CPU and my mobo is a p5n-e sli. I have 8gb of ddr2 800 and my gpu is a 9800 GTX+

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

Here is a LINK that shows the last CPU compatability list for your M/BD with the updated BIOS and the Q9550 is not on it.

You are correct that it has a multiplier of 8.5 and it may even run at stock speeds on that M/BD but I would not garranty that you will be able to OC it.

Also you are running 8G of ram. That is all your M/BD will support which means that you are using all 4 memory slots and the Q9550 does not OC very easily or very high with all 4 memory slots filled. LINK to your M/BD specs.

However here is a LINK in which someone was able to solve running that CPU on that M/BD thou it may or may not work for you.

Good luck! :sol:

Try increasing the FSB a little to see what you can get and go from there. If it does not have an unlocked multiplier then increasing the FSB is going to be your only option if it works. If it does work for you then if and when you go higher you may at some point may need to increase the cpu voltage. As with any overclock you do have to do it in small steps and it can be a slow and tedious process but that is the way you have to do it so you don't fry anything.

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

Technically you are right, IF you have compatible components. bk70 does not have compatable components and has a very high risk of destroying his M/BD if he tries to OC that processor. The Q9550 is locked to multipliers higher than 8.5, thou they can be lowered. Intel voltage specs are 0.85V – 1.3625V.

That is why I gave him all those links in hopes he would realize that.