Sign in with
Your question

Back from Iraq to Build my biggest system yet

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 4, 2009 7:42:43 PM

Ok to start off i have been in Iraq for a year. and was doing a lot of training for the year before that so I'm a little out dated on whats out there. That being said here is what I will be using this computer for.

I will be working on my degree in Game Art & design so I will be using 3ds Max, photoshop etc (thought about building a render farm but not right now)
I'm a gamer more MMORPGs then anything but i do play rainbow 6 , fallout 3, etc
I have built a fair number of computers and want to make this one water cool in less you can give a good reason for a OCZ Cryo-Z Phase Change(dont think its worth the cost from what I can tell)

case : Cooler Master HAF 932
CPU : i7 not sure what model
Ram : 6-8 gigs
multiple screens 3 of them so i want an insane res for my games now I have seen a matrox triphead2go but isn't there a better way to do this with SLI or Crossfire?
SSD for my boot drive unsure brand and size
Video cards unsure

price around $3000 now i know with screens this can go over that but thats my starting ball park price if i can go under that yeah if not well i'd like to not go over that but if the preforms is right i can

any parts i listed can be changed if you know of something that will work better

Thanks for any help
Mike
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2009 8:43:46 PM

Hmm well I think you part way there with what you have chosen so far.

Mobo : ASUS P6T SE
CPU : i7 920
RAM : 6gb DDR3 - anymore doesnt give any real benfit
Case : Antec 1200 or HAF 932
PSU : Corsair 700 - 800w to be safe
GPU : the P6T SE only supports crossfire - so a pair of Radeon cards will give you
two video outputs each - so 3 x monitor isnt a problem.
SSD : OCZ Vertex 128gb
HDD : Samsung Spin Point F3's x 2

Related resources
November 4, 2009 8:59:08 PM

one of the problems i read is if you use cross fire(SLI nvidia) you can't use mutli screens that or the game will not span all the screens. thinking of this i have started looking in to 3 video cards like in the System Builder Marathon, Sept. '09: $2,500 Performance PC
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2009 9:04:39 PM

For rendering maybe you should look into programs that can do gpgpu (ati calls is Stream technology) rendering instead of a rendering farm. Gpgpu is a way the programer use the gpu to run programs that would normally run on a cpu. A gpu can have over 200 cores, making it faster and more power efficient than a than a cpu.

Here a video showing a render that was done on a gpu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fg32ETGSwM

a b à CPUs
November 4, 2009 9:11:05 PM

vvildfire said:
one of the problems i read is if you use cross fire(SLI nvidia) you can't use mutli screens that or the game will not span all the screens. thinking of this i have started looking in to 3 video cards like in the System Builder Marathon, Sept. '09: $2,500 Performance PC

Did you click the eyefinity link? That is exactly what you need. One of your screens needs to be native displayport though, or you'll have to buy an active displayport adaptor. The tech is obviously new but I think ATI should have working crossfire drivers for it sooner rather than later.
November 4, 2009 9:21:19 PM

yeah i saw that and im looking up the card now wounder how much 3 screens will cost with native displayport
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2009 9:28:24 PM

You only need 1 screen with native displayport, the other two can be a mix of hdmi/dvi or d-sub.

If you have 3 identical screens you are probably better off getting the adaptor, just make sure it's active and not passive as a passive one will not work. Check this out btw - http://hardocp.com/article/2009/09/28/amds_ati_eyefinit...
November 4, 2009 10:59:46 PM

since you said you would be using 3ds max and photoshop, i would recommend more than 6GB of ram. When i run 3ds i usually hit 2-3GB no problem, and you dont want a bottleneck there, so get more, probably 12GB since there is no in between and 24GB is way too much money.
!