Can't get into BIOS - tried clearing CMOS...no luck...am I screwed?

skwurl

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Hi there,

I recently OC'ed my PC to about 3.8Ghz with my i7, and everything was fine. It stress tested fine and the memory was okay after running memtest86. However, after I tried waking the PC from sleep mode (win 7), nothing happened on my monitor.

I eventually did a hard reset and now nothing happens on boot. During the OC phase, the BIOS would at least let me know if it wouldn't post and would let me back into the BIOS to undo whatever wasn't getting get into Windows.

Now nothing.

I've tried the different jumper configurations, but nothing happens. I removed the motherboard battery for a minute and replaced it, but it still won't POST. It's almost as if there's not enough volts coming to the CPU (1.2 right now...)

What the hell is going on?

envolva

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
My new i7 build don't play nice with the Sleep function either. When something similar happened to me I turned the power source switch off until my motherboard lights went off. After that I could turn the computer back on but it said my overclock failed to post.

I knew the overclock was fine, but I had to change the configuration back to stock and overclocked again. The motherboard wouldn't let me keep the very same overclock configuration until I changed and saved a new configuration.

If while you took the battery off you did turn off the power source for a long while, and your computer don't even turn the fans on, you can:
1- hold the power button for a while (2-3 seconds)
2- let the button go, and press again
3- repeat

skwurl

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

Can you clarify that last part...I'm a little confused.

envolva

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
If your computer spin the fans when you press the power button, you don't have the same problem I did. So don't worry about the last part.

If it don't here is my story...

Once my computer had a bad PSU. My pc wouldn't turn on at all, no fans spinning, but still lit the motherboard leds.

To make it catch enough breath to make it boot, I had to hold the power button and let go a number of times, so that the PSU could eventually power the computer correctly.

After that it would work until I had to make another cold boot. Changing the PSU solved the issue.