  • Configuration
  • System Restore
  • Windows XP
July 24, 2004 12:49:55 AM

Hi,
Using XP Home. I would like to adjust the System Restore
file size. I have an 80 gig HD, and the System Restore
file size is set to maximum 12 (over 9 gig).
When I go to System Restore-System Restore Settings,
nothing happens. When I go to My Computer-Properties-
System Restore, The box to "Turn off System Restore" is
fades and says: (disabled by Group Policy)
When I click on Settings, it says Hard Disk (C:)
Monitoring, Under "Disk space usage" the slider and text
is faded, can't change.
I've tried everything short of re-installing XP Home.
I heard that there is a Group Policy Editor in XP Pro,
but not XP Home.
Thanks in advance,
Bill Latshaw - New Jersey

More about : adjust system restore home

Anonymous
July 24, 2004 2:40:11 PM

Hi Bill,

Open Registry Editor and navigate to:

HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore

In the right-pane, delete the value "DisableConfig".
Close Registry Editor
Close and re-open the System Restore properties page.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en...

"Bill Latshaw" <latsh@optonline.net> wrote in message news:335801c47131$483510f0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
Hi,
Using XP Home. I would like to adjust the System Restore
file size. I have an 80 gig HD, and the System Restore
file size is set to maximum 12 (over 9 gig).
When I go to System Restore-System Restore Settings,
nothing happens. When I go to My Computer-Properties-
System Restore, The box to "Turn off System Restore" is
fades and says: (disabled by Group Policy)
When I click on Settings, it says Hard Disk (C:)
Monitoring, Under "Disk space usage" the slider and text
is faded, can't change.
I've tried everything short of re-installing XP Home.
I heard that there is a Group Policy Editor in XP Pro,
but not XP Home.
Thanks in advance,
Bill Latshaw - New Jersey
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 3:52:16 AM

Thanks Ramesh. I edited the registry and it worked.
Thanks again.
Bill Latshaw

us/gp/gpref.asp

>"Bill Latshaw" <latsh@optonline.net> wrote in message
>Hi,
>Using XP Home. I would like to adjust the System Restore
>file size. I have an 80 gig HD, and the System Restore
>file size is set to maximum 12 (over 9 gig).
>When I go to System Restore-System Restore Settings,
>nothing happens. When I go to My Computer-Properties-
>System Restore, The box to "Turn off System Restore" is
>fades and says: (disabled by Group Policy)
>When I click on Settings, it says Hard Disk (C:)
>Monitoring, Under "Disk space usage" the slider and text
>is faded, can't change.
>I've tried everything short of re-installing XP Home.
>I heard that there is a Group Policy Editor in XP Pro,
>but not XP Home.
>Thanks in advance,
>Bill Latshaw - New Jersey
>.