No beep codes, no video card fan

fifthforce

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Hi

I am building my first computer and would greatly appreciate some help. I have done most of the regular checks as detailed elsewhere in the forum.

The configuration of my build is as follows:

Antec Sonata III 500 W PSU case
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX
CORE 2 EXTREME QX9750
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2
EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB
ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED FAN (has a three pin connector)

All components are brand new

These are the problem I am facing:

-No beep codes whatsoever
-Video card fan not going on. I don't see any signs of the video card working (I don't know if the card or MOBO is faulty or something else)
-No signal on monitor (because monitor is connected to the video card using VGA cable)

However, the following things work:

When I turn the power switch on, the CPU is getting warm (I tried this for a few seconds without fan), the CPU fan works, the LEDS on the MOBO (labelled as phase LEDs) light up, the hard drive appears to work (I can hear the slight sound from the initializing read-write head), the CD ROM drive works (meaning, I am able to open and close the tray). The lights in front panel of the case also light up though the HDD light stays steady (does not flicker).

The following are what I have tried/not tried so far:

- Ensured all the power and data connectors are plugged correctly to the best of my knowledge. The MOBO has a 24 pin and a 8 pin connectors. The video card has 2 6 pin connectors. The CPU fan has a 3-pin connector which is connected to a connector marked SYS_FAN1. I initially had a Zalman CNPS9500 AT fan which had a 4-pin connector which was connected to the CPU_FAN connector. But the fan did not work. So, I purchased a CNPS9700 LED this works.

- The video card and the RAM has been installed fully (pushed all the way).

- I tried removing both RAMs and starting the computer. No beep codes.

- The 4-pin speaker connector from the case is connected to the MOBO and a dual speaker set is connected to the case front panel using a regular audio jack. I dont know if the system speaker is functional or not. I have not checked this using a seperate system speaker.

- I have not tried testing any of my components on another computer or any components from another computer on my MOBO. I dont have access to another comp.

- I have not called any tech support yet since I dont know which part is bad.

Please let me know if you need any additional info. My main concern is why is there absolutely no beep codes what so ever?

Thanks.

kohd

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I'm no expert as I just finished building my new rig (for the first time in the past 10 years...) but I had almost the same problem as you. My video card didn't operate at first and I didn't get a post beep...yet everything else seemed to work. After accepting my stupidity and plugging in the 8 pin mobo power cable I was fine. My question is...since that power cable seems to be directly related to the symptoms you're describing, and since you've plugged it in, could that portion of your board be faulty? Or possibly just a bad 8 pin PSU cable?

fifthforce

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Thanks, Kohd, for the input. From what you experienced, that surely appears to be a possibility.

In your case, did you start receiving post codes too after you connected your 8-pin?

But how would I figure out which parts of the MOBO receive power supply from the 24 pin connector and which ones from the 8-pin connector?

From what a friend told me, I thought the CPU receives its power from the 8-pin, so I assumed the 8-pin was good since the CPU was warming up.

I would disconnect and reconnect everything just to be sure that everything is seated properly. Do you have a DMM to test and see if there is power being sent to the GPU when you boot up the system? The EA500 in the Sonata should be enough to power a GTX260.

Also try pulling everything except the CPU and heatsink, if you dont get a long beep either your case speaker is nonfunctional or your motherboard is dead.

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
"The CPU fan has a 3-pin connector which is connected to a connector marked SYS_FAN1. I initially had a Zalman CNPS9500 AT fan which had a 4-pin connector which was connected to the CPU_FAN connector. But the fan did not work. So, I purchased a CNPS9700 LED this works."

Your CPU fan has to be connected to the CPU fan connector, you may be having a CPU fan error causing the system not to boot.

fifthforce

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

Thanks for your response.

I already tried pulling every thing except CPU and heat sink. No beeps.

If MOBO is dead, can the CPU, fan, LEDs still work?