Corsair DDR2 - TWIN2X4096-6400C5 vs C5C - Buy Now?

bytor54

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Would appreciate some quick advise from anyone...

Have been thinking for several weeks about upgrading the RAM in my DDR2 system from 4GB to 8GB. Was shocked when I checked prices in Dec & found an almost $40 price jump since August.

I've been trying to decide if I even need to upgrade as 4GB is certainly enough for anything I'm doing now. I don't game and the most I push my system is by running many applications (office aps, video & picture editing, multiple browsers) and having many windows open at one time. I just upgraded to Win7 and I only built this system (Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H mobo) 5 months ago and want it to remain viable for several years.

I currently have 4Gb (2x2GB) of Corsair TWIN2X-4096-6400C5 DDR2. This exact RAM is currently $89 at a popular online retailer.

The same retailer has 4GB (2x2GB) of Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5C (revision "C"?) for $100, but with a $25 rebate (that expires after tomorrow!).

Any thoughts at all? I'm tempted to just wait and see what sales and rebates start after tomorrow, but I'm also thinking that $75 might be the cheapest I'll ever see this DDR2 again.

Is it worth taking a chance that the new revision might not work well with my existing sticks? Considering that I have to deal with a rebate (something that people constantly complain about on the reviews), maybe I should just get the ones that match what I have at $89 (no rebates)?

Please share some wisdom! Thanks!
Rob

bytor54

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
How about this to cloud the issue... the Corsair website memory configurator lists the specs for both part numbers as identical... but the list of compatible motherboards is huge for the C5 (aka C5 G) while the C5C only has one Mobo listed.

Makes me wonder if there really is something different about them than the color of the heat spreaders?

bytor54

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Thanks XMSY, I'm taking your word for it cause I just took the plunge.

Now I'll probably be the only person in the world with an AMD Regor 240 (Athlon II X2, 2.8GHz), based machine that has 8GB... but I've never (in what, 16 or so years of owning x86 PCs) had a machine that didn't start to run short of RAM towards the end of it's useful life. With Win7 and the possibility of upgrading to a faster AMD chip, this machine could be part of the arsenal for many years.

Oh yeah, and for you kids out there... 16 years ago, it was 8 MEGAbytes of RAM that I had in my pretty decent 486DX2-66 (thats 66MHz) machine ...I think the HD was 730MB! ;) Pretty amazing when you think about it. Where might we be in 10 or 15 more years???

G

How did it go with the new ram

bytor54

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Very well so far! I haven't really had time to do anything that would really put it "to the test" so to speak... but (and I'd really prefer not to tempt fate here but...) it's gone without a hitch.

Installed easily (not a crazy amount of force required like some I've installed, but that's likely more to do with the mobo) ...and booted up perfectly from the first attempt.

The labeling on the actual modules lists everything as virtually identical to my original sticks. Timings (555-18), Speed (800MHz), Voltage (1.80V) and even Version (4.3) are exactly the same on both sets.

The biggest difference I can find is with the thickness of each heat-spreader encased module. The ones from the new set are a bit thinner. I didn't mess with them to see if they are SS or DS, and I don't even know if the originals are SS or DS, but that might explain the difference in thickness. In any case, the construction of the new heat-spreader is an improvement in at least one area: it's more or less joined at the top, creating a smoother surface for your delicate little fingers to press upon during installation. ;)

Now for that faster CPU.... :)