Worth upgrade from E5400?

marcusgi

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Hello,

I just got a discounted dell pc with E5400 chip in it for around $350. Seems to run much faster than my pentium D. After buying it, I realized that the E5400 is not a true Core 2 Duo processor.One person called it a Celeron. In your opinion, would you spend $100-$150 more for a better chip, say an E7500 or Q8200? Some say the Quad chips are only if you want to spend extra money, not sure if this is something I "need". I don't game a lot, but I like a cruising through applications and boot times to be low. I am waiting for Windows 7 to arrive to see how that impacts performance.

The person who called an E5400 a Celeron is an idiot. Celerons are mostly based on the old Pentium architecture (with some of the newer ones based on the core architecture)

The Pentium Dual CPUs (not to be confused with Pentium Ds) are essentially just Core2Duos with less cache memory. Pentium Duals all use Core2 architecture.

The E5x00 Pentium Dual series all use Wolfdale cores, which are the same cores as the E8x00 series...in short, they are the same CPUs, Intel just calls them different names in order to market them.

Just overclock your E5400...it'll perform just as good, if not better than most cpus "branded" as Core2s. The Q8200 is a quad core...if you're planning to go quad then you might as well go for an i5.

If the E5400 isn't fast enough you can always get cheap 775-socket quad cores on ebay or amazon.

marcusgi

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I want to be honest, I never have overclocked a CPU. I wouldn't want to void the warranty and it is just not my cup of tea. Do you really think I would notice a difference in the E7500 or Q8200? The reason I ask, is that Dell sells different version of the Inspiron 545 that you can buy for $100, $200 respectively more. Maybe I would have bought them to begin with, but didn't do my research. :(

marcusgi

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Thank for the opinions so far, just wondering if you would spend $150 for a Q8300? Honestly I tested my Pentium D 940 and the E5400 they both boot in about 70 seconds. The reason I keep asking, in my mind I bought a sub par chip but maybe I should just change my attitude and realize no chip is going to make everything twice as fast, when you have Norton installed and load big programs like Office.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Don't worry, for Norton and Office, the E5400 will be fine.

Any other step-up would only see major improvement if you spent alot or played serious games.

Other than that, general speed would be so similar, it wouldn't ever be able to justify the extra expense.

Now for instance you said you wanted to do 3d rendering, that's a whole different story.