Cooling? WTF is this?

Emelth

Distinguished
Alright, so I want to get into overclocking, but the thing is I know nothing about overclocking. I've also recieved advice on getting a cooler for it but again I know nothing about coolers as well. Below is a list of my computer parts, I just got done reading an article saying Water based are better for cooling. First question would I need a water cooler over a fan type, the only game I play on it is WoW. Also was gonna try to upgrade some parts but others say its perfectly fine if I OC it.

Windows 7 (64 Bit)

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 AMD Motherboard

Palit NE5X460SF1102 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Sonic 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Water cooling is not required for a good OC. A good air setup is all thats required which can be done cheaply.

And water cooling is only superior when it is done properly, which can get quite pricely and you have to know what your doing and majority of the pre-built stuff is inferior to a halfway decent air cool setup and costs a lot more.

In fact majority of the people who overclock are running air cooled computers not water if you must know. The water cooled overclocking community is in the minority.

Emelth

Distinguished
Alright thank you very much thats the 2nd time I've heard of the 212 I will check it out :D. Now where can I find a place that can teach me how to OC my 955 correctly?

Although the CMH212+ is commonly recommended here, it has long since lost it's crown, it is a good cooler but if you were considering water cooling wouldn't you want an air cooler in the top performers.

The Thermaltake Frio is a great performer with a reasonable price, it's rated #5 for Intel and for AMD it's rated as #3 in the Top Ten Coolers at Frosty Tech.

The CMH212+ isn't even in the top ten anymore, Period.

Price wise if you add a matched second fan for a push/pull setup with the CMH212+, the overall cost will be the same and the Frio comes with the 2nd fan and fan speed control.

You should easily reach 3.8ghz with your 955BE, you may even reach 4.0ghz, check out the guide in my sig.

Case airflow is important also make sure you have good case airflow, so what ever cooling solution you decide on, it has plenty of fresh air to cool with.