Is this the normal temp for Intel i5 2500k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kishan Bagaria

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I have a ASUS P8H61-M LE motherboard with Intel i5 2500k and stock fan.

While converting a video my processor's temps become 76°-79° C. The idle temps are 44°-48° C.

I want to ask whether this is normal or does any damage to the processor?

Solution
If the Temps you are quoting are the 4 core temps, if not look at the core temps, I use CPUID HWMonitor.
Temps are a little High, about 5 C high for the what Intel calls a HSF (stock).

The I5-2500k can go up to mid 90's at which time the CPU will start to throttle to protect them. Many say that 80 is OK, myself I do not like mine to hit 70 (Mine which is OCed to 4.6 only hits low 60's).

Just to verify. You did make sure that the four locking tabs are properly seated. Best way to check is to look at the back an insure that the white nubs are equally vivible.
On Thermal paste. Did you use the paste that came with it, or did you use artic silver 5 (Most recommended here at Tom's) If artic silver 5, then application should have been a...
If the Temps you are quoting are the 4 core temps, if not look at the core temps, I use CPUID HWMonitor.
Temps are a little High, about 5 C high for the what Intel calls a HSF (stock).

The I5-2500k can go up to mid 90's at which time the CPU will start to throttle to protect them. Many say that 80 is OK, myself I do not like mine to hit 70 (Mine which is OCed to 4.6 only hits low 60's).

Just to verify. You did make sure that the four locking tabs are properly seated. Best way to check is to look at the back an insure that the white nubs are equally vivible.
On Thermal paste. Did you use the paste that came with it, or did you use artic silver 5 (Most recommended here at Tom's) If artic silver 5, then application should have been a peas sized amount spread evenly.

The Stock HSF is poorly designed and at the BOTTOM of the totom pole interms of performance. many here recommend using the Hyper 212+ (Around $30) and a great performance vs cost HSF. Myself, I do NOT even remove the Stock HSF, I always by a aftermarket HSF.

Solution

Kishan Bagaria

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

I used the paste that came with the HSF.

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Your biggest problem is your room temperature. If you were to bring that down to a more normal 22c or 20c, you will see much lower temps. Your case is ok, but not the greatest airflow. All in all in your conditions, I would say the temps your getting are normal for the stock cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.