Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Successful OC

Last response: in Overclocking
October 4, 2011 5:13:31 PM

Alright...I need to know how to effectively OC my Phenom II 955 black edition. I tried before on an older build with terrible results. I used the AMD overdrive utility since I am a noob. I kept running into issue with voltage since my psu was only 600 watt. I figured I would try at a later date.

Well now I just built my new system. I have a PNY GTX 580 that has a built in vga and cpu water cooler on it. *big money* My motherboard also has a debug led which shows the temps when everything is running properly. I have noticed a difference in temperatures while observed the debug and the cpu status on the OverDrive utility. They are always different. I thought maybe it was the board temps...nope. It is always about 10 C higher than the software indicates.

For example right now I am getting 28.5-29 C according to the software at idle. While the debug is reading 35-36.

results when stressed 100% at 3.6 GHz:
Software:roughly 41 C after 5 mins.
Debug: reading 48ish after 5 mins.

I obviously do not want to damage my system. If the CPU breaks, I am not too concerned. It is the only order part in the PC that I will upgrade at christmas. But I don't want to break the water cooler on the $600 video card.

I ran into voltage issues on my old build, due to the 4 pin PFC and 600 watt psu. Now I have an AM3+ socket with an 8 pin cpu power with a 1220 psu. So I am fairly confident. But I don't really know when or how much voltage to allow while upping the multiplier. I am also still using my only copy of windows 7.....32 bit. So i am only getting 3.5 gb of ram at 667 mhz. out of 16 gb of 1600 mhz.

Please be kind to my noob questions and thinking. I am new to the OC. Any attempts I have tried in the past either left me with a sketchy video card or many many system hangs.

Thanks

More about : successful

October 4, 2011 5:42:19 PM

Alright, first off go check out the forum post on overclocking.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258573-29-black-editi...

Second off, neither of those temperatures are high at all so until you go significantly higher you wont even need to worry about the difference in the temperatures.

I am assuming you are running as stress test such as prime 95?

If you can afford a 1200W PSU (overkill for what you have unless you are running SLI) then you can sure afford a 64-bit OS...spend the money on it.

If you could post your full build specs and part models it would help us give you some more accurate feedback.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 4, 2011 5:54:36 PM

^^^ Follow that advice. Use Core Temp for accurate CPU temps. Use OCCT for a quick stability check. When you reach the max stable OC point under OCCT, run Prime 95 for 24 hours.

A proper 64-bit O/S will allow use of the additional RAM. It may not speed up your system, but you can have more apps or larger apps open with more RAM. Assuming you are using 4 DIMMs, be advised that this is tougher for the CPU integrated memory controller than 2 DIMMs so it too can limit your CPU OC also.
m
l
Related resources
October 8, 2011 1:17:13 AM

dalmvern said:
Alright, first off go check out the forum post on overclocking.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258573-29-black-editi...

Second off, neither of those temperatures are high at all so until you go significantly higher you wont even need to worry about the difference in the temperatures.

I am assuming you are running as stress test such as prime 95?

If you can afford a 1200W PSU (overkill for what you have unless you are running SLI) then you can sure afford a 64-bit OS...spend the money on it.

If you could post your full build specs and part models it would help us give you some more accurate feedback.

Thank you for this insight. I have recently run into the problem of not being able to install windows 7 SP1 64 bit. It crashes and the "loading files" screen. After 6 hours of research, it seems as though the CPU can't process in 64-bit. This doesn't seem right...but maybe you guys would know. And I did get the PSU to be overkill. I plan on a second card sometime soon. And for the $200 price, I figured it was a good investment. I will also list my full system specs. below. Not sure why I didn't before.

Case: Antec Lanboy Air Blue
Motherboard: MSI 990FXA-GD80 (for the AM3 and dual 16x PCIe)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
Video Card: PNY XLR8 GTX580 VGA+CPU water Cooled Edition
Power Supply: Kingwin Mach 1 1220 Watt
Memory: Corsair Vengence 16Gb DDR3 1600 (blue)
SSD: Corsair
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1 Tb 7200RPM 6Gb/s

I feel the CPU is bottlenecking slightly. Hence the OC. I already had this CPU before the build. So I figured I would wait until the holiday brings me a better one.

If the upgrade to 32-bit isn't needed then I won't keep messing with it right now. But I did notice that my ram was at 3.49 and only running at like....667 or something. I assumed it was set at the lower speed and I could just "Overclock" it. But I was nervous about damaging something.

Thanks again for your replies :) 
m
l

Best solution

October 9, 2011 8:32:16 AM

Try a different copy of windows 7 without the service pack and then install the service pack through the update...worked for me on my phenom II 940. as for oc'ing your processor. set volts to 1.4 and increase mulltiplier to 18.5 for a 3.7 ghz speed should be fine as the Phenom II 955's can go al the way up to 3.8 on stock volts, which is close to 1.4volts. then stress test it for around 20 runs with Intelburn test. And as for your different cpu temparature readings maybe the debug is reporting the core temps which are generally 5-6 degrees higher than cpu temps. Use Coretemp or AIDA64 to check out your temps while testing. If you pass this and are comfortable with the temps then try 3.8 ghz and stress test it again.

Personally i think you have good components so your oc should not be a problem. all the best and post back some results!
October 9, 2011 7:01:02 PM

Best answer selected by hayden5757.
m
l
!