Motherboad x58 choice question

hero16

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
OK this is probablliy going to sound a bit strange but i have a good reason that drowns me forward torwards my choice.

Now here is the load out.

I had an Asrock Supercomputer x58 Motherboard it was with an i7 920 core with 2.8Standard Mhz i overclocked it to 3.6 and apperently my motherboard died a horrible screaming death.Which is rather funny on it's.I am in the process of receiving an RMA for it or at least i am hoping to receieve one.Now apperently there is a damaged pin on my socket slot apperently bend now the shop did return it as RMA but i am still expecting the virdict in hopes i will recieve my old one and everything would be fine.Unfortunetly however we all know how well hope works in the computer world so now i am forced to choose a new motherboard needless to say i am not willing to take the same one seeing as how well our "Relations" ended.
So here i am with the current choice of 2 motherboards which catch my eye as good

LINK1:http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/Moederborden_Socket_1366/Foxconn/Flaming_Blade/-1078327/?tn=HARDWARE&l1=Moederborden&l2=Intel&l3=Socket+1366
LINK1:Foxconn Flaming Blade Socket 1333
Benefits:Now for me the price looks very tempting as well as the overall presentation that this board appears to provide as a cheap alternative to the much more powerfull ASUS Rampage extreme which unfortunetly i am not willing to buy consdering i have limited funds since i spent way to much on a pC already.
Drawbacks:It has only 2PCI 16 Slots and 3Slots of DDR3 Ram with maximum 12GB of Ram size

LINK2:http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/Moederborden_Socket_1366/GigaByte/GA-EX58-UD5/-1074117/?tn=HARDWARE&l1=Moederborden&l2=Intel&l3=Socket+1366
LINK2:Gigabyte GA-EX58 UD5
Benefits:I have came in contact with Gigabyte before and so far i have never had any problems with a board manufactured by them it has Solid capacitors ultra durable 3 PCI x16 Slots 24GB of Ram and plenty of bandwith to spare;p
Drawbacks:price is a bit higher than the blood rage but for what i get i am willing to compromise with it rather than that i do not see anything else that appears to be bad.

I ask you to help me decide between those 2 boards provided that my original one will not be returned as RMA any help would be greatly appreciated.
And if you have a better motherboard alternative for round the same price from that website feel free to post a link thanks in advance.

hero16

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I see well thanks for the answer but i have a question in turn.What does the Asus motherboard have that the gigabyte motherboard does not.

The "best" depends of the processor, in this case, the ASUS mobo is better for the i7. The Gigabyte is the best OC mobo for AMD and some Intel.

Both manufacturers are very good, the desition of what mobo you should buy just depends of the processor and other components of the rig.

hero16

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Well i will provide the rest of my components so that you could give a more accurate idea of what i could buy:

HAF922 Corsair H50 CPU COoler I7 920 6GB DDR3 1600 OCZ GOLD ATI 5870 1GB 1x1TB Western Digital Caviar black

hero16

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
The whole problem is due to the fact i have very limited funds to spent on this for i have given way to much on a PC already and with my Asrock diying i am even deeper in to the ground right now.So Gigabyte looks like a reletively cheaper alternative to it.

The gigabyte is a very good option. Are you french?, the link page of the gigabyte is on french. I don't speak french yet.

hero16

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I am Bulgarian living in Nederlands so if you plan to visit me call me so i could give you adress.

Read this email from me to asrock how is this even possible?

Dear Simeon,

I am sorry but I have to said yes because the pin bend means that the motherboard cannot be fix anymore. The $35 fee is for sending another tested replacement to you.

If you decide to rma this motherboard, please reply this e-mail including complete the attached RMA request form and a copy of original invoice (better in PDF or JPEG format) to proof your purchase. Once your request has been accept, we will send the Form back with RMA NUMBER and shipping instruction. (Any Product returned without a valid RMA number or with no RMA number will be refused and returned to the sender.)

Note:

RMA request with missing or incorrect serial number(s) may result in a delayed process or a rejection of request. For SERIAL NUMBER FINDING: please go to ASRock website: http://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=FindSN *Motherboard: The serial number as printed on the yellow sticker at the motherboard as well as the motherboard box. *NetTop: The serial number usually post on the flank side of gift box or shown on the right upper place of the NetTop back side.

Products with physical damage and out of warranty, ASRock will charge $35 labor and service charge fee. We will provide 3 months warranty for the replaced motherboard.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Clarinda

ASRock America, Inc.

What does that even mean ? that i would have to pay 35 $ to have my Socket replaced but how is this relate to my ION and X58 chips or something else being burned ?So i just pay 35 $ or the europian equivalent like 40 50 EUro than they send me a whole new motherboard because i don't really understand how this works.I mean wouldn't this be much simpler if they wouldn't go through all of this bull.... and just tell me how much i need to pay so i could go there get my board and build my pc anew god.....And second question well more like a statement actually how come that when i write to the Europian asrock i get a whole different reaction on the same exact question.Maybe the europian's didn't understood the same english i used to talk to the american once ? I mean what's going on here or am i missing something.
PS thanks for the board replay i already ordered my gygabite board ;p

In the 1st part says that the mobo can't be repared. The $35 is like a "price for test another product".

Now, about the english, my english isn't good, i'm not from the USA or any country with english native language. In fact, my native langauge is spanish, now you know 'cause the wrong word and grammar mistakes in the post.

Finally, the gigabyte mobo is a very good option. Good rig and good luck with your new mobo, i'm still with my X4 955....:(

wlaziu

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
You probably forgot to mention that the bent pin was on an RMA'd motherboard already.
Remember that warranty does not cover any mechanical damages (such as bent pin) & this obliques you to check in the shop that the RMA'd motherboard that came back is free of any mechanical damages. If you signed off the receive papers then sorry... you signed off that the mother board is up to spec.
If you RMA'd the board via an on-line shop then you have 10 days to send it back with a statement that "the replacement board is inferior (damaged mechanically) to the board that you bought". Of course you can't use it then.

As for the new x58 board... get the cheapest that:
- Has the slot layout that suits you
- Has all the features that you need (Floppy, IDE, USB 3.0, Firewire, multiple ethernet ports)
- Has a small to none amount of bad reviews on sites like newegg.com or amazon.com. This is the best hint whether the motherboard works as intended or not over time.

At all you're (probably) buying the mobo with the perspective to use it for next 2-4 years. And every board will allow you to overclock to around 3.6-3.8. Above that you will have more problems than it is worth (heat, noise, power consumption, stability, over-voltage, lack of power saving features, lifetime).

TRENDING THREADS