Sign in with
Your question

Disabled IDE controller in system properties, cant boot...period!

Last response: in Windows XP
January 17, 2012 12:51:32 PM

OK, I know it was stupid...but I was tired and frustrated!

I was trying to get XP to load ACHI drivers. I removed the controller in the system properties, and rebooted...but still reverted back to IDE even though the drivers are loaded.

In a fit of desperation, I disabled the controller. Bad move...

No boot, no matter what.

I have a MA78Gm-S2H mobo with 2 sata drives...was running them in naitive IDE mode. I recently upgraded the CPU...and my bottleneck was the hard drives...thus why I was messing with it.

I have an open IDE on the MOBO, so I grabbed a cable and extra IDE drive I have and threw a copy of XP on it. I can boot to that, AND access the SATA drives. However I don't know where to begin trying to re-enable the IDE controller, since system properties only looks at the OS on the IDE drive.

This is a DAW, and has an album I've been working on for FOUR YEARS!!!!!

So, I'm a bit vested into making this work somehow :sarcastic: 

I could just boot from this added drive I suppose, but would rather not if possible...I can't imagine that would be too good for drive performance.
January 17, 2012 1:00:42 PM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Go into BIOS and find the AHCI option then change that to IDE - that should recognise the SATA drives. Try starting in Safe Mode then run
sfc /scannow
at the Command Prompt to restore essential files. Have your XP CD handy in case it's needed.

m
l
January 17, 2012 1:16:16 PM

Saga Lout said:

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Go into BIOS and find the AHCI option then change that to IDE - that should recognise the SATA drives. Try starting in Safe Mode then run
sfc /scannow
at the Command Prompt to restore essential files. Have your XP CD handy in case it's needed.

Sorry, that's not going to work.

I have been running the bios in naitive IDE for a few years like this. In System properties I DISABLED the IDE controller in XP. Neither running in ACHI or IDE will boot. Safe mode doesn't work either.

The only way inside is through booting to a different XP install on an added drive.

I'm looking for a way to re-enable the IDE in XP, not on the Bios.
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2012 1:30:39 PM

Ron Vogel said:
Sorry, that's not going to work.

I have been running the bios in naitive IDE for a few years like this. In System properties I DISABLED the IDE controller in XP. Neither running in ACHI or IDE will boot. Safe mode doesn't work either.

The only way inside is through booting to a different XP install on an added drive.

I'm looking for a way to re-enable the IDE in XP, not on the Bios.

Repair Install ?
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=444831
m
l
January 17, 2012 2:59:19 PM

I wish I could...my XP pro disk won't get but a wee bit into the install before freezing. It somehow got extemely scratched. I have a clean home edition disk that'll work for a fresh install, but I don't think I can use it for a repair on my exsisting OS.

This is why it seems (at least to me) I'm out of options other than going into the registry and tweaking. Unfortunately, I don't know where to begin looking in there or what to change for certain. I poked around a little, but it amounted to nothing yet at this point.

I'm thinking of copying the registry parts of the good OS, and pasting them to the bad...but again don't know what and where it needs to go.
m
l
January 17, 2012 3:06:23 PM

Ron Vogel said:
I wish I could...my XP pro disk won't get but a wee bit into the install before freezing. It somehow got extemely scratched. I have a clean home edition disk that'll work for a fresh install, but I don't think I can use it for a repair on my exsisting OS.

This is why it seems (at least to me) I'm out of options other than going into the registry and tweaking. Unfortunately, I don't know where to begin looking in there or what to change for certain. I poked around a little, but it amounted to nothing yet at this point.

I'm thinking of copying the registry parts of the good OS, and pasting them to the bad...but again don't know what and where it needs to go.

That scratched CD just may copy to HD to be able to Run from there. I guess next thing would be try Rescue CD.
m
l
January 17, 2012 5:00:06 PM

Ron Vogel said:

A fingertip of toothpaste might rejuvenate your CD, applied and polioshed off with lint free cloth and NOT wood-based kitchen paper.

The file you're looking for is c:\windows\system32\config\system and if you have a recently created .bak or .old file, rename system as system2 then rename system.bak (or .old) as system. That should reconstitute the Registry as it was before you deleted things.

m
l
January 18, 2012 1:34:03 AM

Saga Lout said:

A fingertip of toothpaste might rejuvenate your CD, applied and polioshed off with lint free cloth and NOT wood-based kitchen paper.

The file you're looking for is c:\windows\system32\config\system and if you have a recently created .bak or .old file, rename system as system2 then rename system.bak (or .old) as system. That should reconstitute the Registry as it was before you deleted things.

Cleaned the disc...I used a special plastic polish I have...

Didn't work. Loaded the drivers, rebooted...BSOD

The ONLY way I see this working is through the original registry somehow.
m
l
January 18, 2012 5:44:11 AM

I posted the name of the file which holds that part of the Registry - do you have a recent backup or old version? Use a Hirens or Linux CD to fish around and find it.

m
l
January 18, 2012 2:06:36 PM

I had a breakthrough last night.....

I have run this Mobo since early 2009, it was updated with current drivers, etc....and things have been in and out of it, as needed when I organized cables.

As many may know, SATA doesn't care what ports on the board they are plugged into. The controller will determine master slave...

That is, unless your system doesn't see the current mobo drivers! :) 

I was going around in circles when I noticed my CMOS drive configuration was wonky. My hard drive that contained the OS was set to slave in the bios. I have 5 internal SATA ports on my mobo, and they are labelled 0-4....and they don't jive at all to how they are assigned.

I fiddled around juggling what cable whent into what port, and got the CMOS to see the master/slave assignments correctly.

Then the repair install moved past the BSOD. I wasn't able to finish it up last night (was getting late). I just need to make up a CD of SP2 files that the install was asking for to complete it.

Hopefully, this may help someone down the line. I suspect this is the root cause of why my drives were so slow in the first place even though it seemed they were configured correctly.
m
l
January 18, 2012 5:33:00 PM

If it doesn't work, don't get desperate and do something regrettable.

If you haven't reset your system install yet with a "repair" install, you may be able to perform a System Restore Point to get things back to what was normal before you messed with the IDE/SATA settings.

I no longer post the remedy in these open forums, but will supply a link in a PM so you can download the fix. The fix does not depend on Windows starting in any mode whatsoever.

BTW... You have a PM.

m
l
January 18, 2012 5:35:43 PM

You may have come too far along at this point, but did you try to boot into safe mode an re-enable the IDE controller. i'm not sure if this will work with a disabled drive controller, but it can't hurt to try.
m
l
January 18, 2012 5:46:25 PM

My fix is 2 posts up

The disabling of the ide controllers may very well have been fine...but without it on, it reset how the OS saw what was master/slave running naitive IDE into sata ports....only reason for the BSOD. It probably didn't even need a repair install, but I didn't catch it until last night.
m
l
January 19, 2012 12:07:28 AM

That'll teach me to not sleep for over 45 hours and then answer a post here. :(  I missed that you got it up and running. It was actually quite obvious now that I can focus my eyes again. Good job. :) 

m
l
October 20, 2012 9:01:54 AM

I have had to change blown boards multiple times over the years and normally have great success. Yesterday I went completely blank and went back to my trusty Google. I found the util that has never let me down FixIDE from FoolishIT. Worked like a charm. Think I just needed more coffee. I have posted it on my site www.iconera.co.za as well just in case I lose it again.

David Lucas
Icon Era
m
l
!