Nvidia driver 71.89 & 77.72 are bad

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2,alt.games-the-sims (More info?)

For Nvidia video card users. 71.89 not good for SIMS 2 - bad bug with girl
default hairs as the hair would cover whole face.

77.72 is horrible - SIMS 2 run very stutterly with broken texture and bend
on sims body thus make very slow...if you look hard.

Now, I use 77.80 BETA from GURU3D

Seem very good and noticed smoothly...

I remember use 66.93 no problem

Anyway for SIMS 2 users don't use 71.89 or 77.80 = very bad driver from
Nvidia :(
21 answers Last reply
More about nvidia driver
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2,alt.games-the-sims (More info?)

    "Wesley" <Wesley@kissofthelord.com.de> wrote in message
    > For Nvidia video card users. 71.89 not good for SIMS 2 - bad bug with
    > girl default hairs as the hair would cover whole face.
    >
    > 77.72 is horrible - SIMS 2 run very stutterly with broken texture and
    > bend on sims body thus make very slow...if you look hard.
    >
    > Now, I use 77.80 BETA from GURU3D
    >
    > Seem very good and noticed smoothly...
    >
    > I remember use 66.93 no problem
    >
    > Anyway for SIMS 2 users don't use 71.89 or 77.80 = very bad driver from
    > Nvidia :(

    A lot of time it depends on which video card you have. Sometimes nvidia
    breaks support for the card in the driver release.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2,alt.games-the-sims (More info?)

    "Wesley" <Wesley@kissofthelord.com.de> wrote in message
    > For Nvidia video card users. 71.89 not good for SIMS 2 - bad bug with
    girl
    > default hairs as the hair would cover whole face.
    >
    > 77.72 is horrible - SIMS 2 run very stutterly with broken texture and
    bend
    > on sims body thus make very slow...if you look hard.
    >
    > Now, I use 77.80 BETA from GURU3D
    >
    > Seem very good and noticed smoothly...
    >
    > I remember use 66.93 no problem
    >
    > Anyway for SIMS 2 users don't use 71.89 or 77.80 = very bad driver from
    > Nvidia :(

    I'm running 77.72 with no real problems. I still occasionally get the sims
    who freeze and shake, but not often.

    Jeanie
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2,alt.games-the-sims (More info?)

    "Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "Wesley" <Wesley@kissofthelord.com.de> wrote in message
    >> For Nvidia video card users. 71.89 not good for SIMS 2 - bad bug
    >> with girl default hairs as the hair would cover whole face.
    >>
    >> 77.72 is horrible - SIMS 2 run very stutterly with broken texture
    >> and bend on sims body thus make very slow...if you look hard.
    >>
    >> Now, I use 77.80 BETA from GURU3D
    >>
    >> Seem very good and noticed smoothly...
    >>
    >> I remember use 66.93 no problem
    >>
    >> Anyway for SIMS 2 users don't use 71.89 or 77.80 = very bad driver
    >> from Nvidia :(
    >
    > A lot of time it depends on which video card you have. Sometimes
    > nvidia breaks support for the card in the driver release.

    I'm still using 6.1.7.7 and don't think I'm gonna update since I'm
    having good luck. :)
    Don't they say........unless you're having problems, don't update. The
    later updates
    are probably for newer video cards, am I right or not?

    Betty
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

    Wesley wrote:
    > For Nvidia video card users. 71.89 not good for SIMS 2 - bad bug with girl
    > default hairs as the hair would cover whole face.
    >
    > 77.72 is horrible - SIMS 2 run very stutterly with broken texture and bend
    > on sims body thus make very slow...if you look hard.

    Just installed 77.72 last night, had some graphic problems with Simcity
    4 (previous drivers were 61.77) and sorted those problems out, haven't
    played TS2 yet since updating, will give it a try.

    Bianca
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

    Betty wrote:

    > I'm still using 6.1.7.7 and don't think I'm gonna update since I'm
    > having good luck. :)
    > Don't they say........unless you're having problems, don't update. The
    > later updates
    > are probably for newer video cards, am I right or not?

    On the official site you they also publish a list with supported graphic
    cards, but as was said earlier it is often hit-and-miss. A couple of
    years ago I had problems playing Scrabble (couldn't play it at all
    because graphics were scr****d) installed the new drivers and Sims1
    wouldn't work anymore.
    Haven't tried TS2 with the new drivers yet but Bodyshop works fine.

    Bianca
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2,alt.games-the-sims (More info?)

    "Betty" <cyberbg2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Wesley" <Wesley@kissofthelord.com.de> wrote in message
    >>> For Nvidia video card users. 71.89 not good for SIMS 2 - bad bug with
    >>> girl default hairs as the hair would cover whole face.
    >>>
    >>> 77.72 is horrible - SIMS 2 run very stutterly with broken texture and
    >>> bend on sims body thus make very slow...if you look hard.
    >>>
    >>> Now, I use 77.80 BETA from GURU3D
    >>>
    >>> Seem very good and noticed smoothly...
    >>>
    >>> I remember use 66.93 no problem
    >>>
    >>> Anyway for SIMS 2 users don't use 71.89 or 77.80 = very bad driver from
    >>> Nvidia :(
    >>
    >> A lot of time it depends on which video card you have. Sometimes nvidia
    >> breaks support for the card in the driver release.
    >>
    > I'm still using 6.1.7.7 and don't think I'm gonna update since I'm having
    > good luck. :)
    > Don't they say........unless you're having problems, don't update. The
    > later updates
    > are probably for newer video cards, am I right or not?
    >
    > Betty

    You are right.

    I'm thinking go back to 66.93

    PS) Sorry not 77.80 I mean 77.72 are bad the worst. Not only in SIMS other
    games are stuff up eg; crash or like weird blocky graphics...and shadow
    problem
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2,alt.games-the-sims (More info?)

    I did research with these drivers

    71.89 = bad

    77.72 = bad horrible.....

    77.80 = bad - blurred and some weird blocky texture on some objects not
    good for SIMS 2

    ---------------------------------

    The BEST is 66.93

    I use GeForce Nvidia 6600 GT

    >>> I remember use 66.93 no problem
    >>>
    >>> Anyway for SIMS 2 users don't use 71.89 or 77.80 = very bad driver
    >>> from Nvidia :(
    >>
    >> A lot of time it depends on which video card you have. Sometimes
    >> nvidia breaks support for the card in the driver release.
    >>
    >I'm still using 6.1.7.7 and don't think I'm gonna update since I'm
    >having good luck. :)
    >Don't they say........unless you're having problems, don't update. The
    >later updates
    >are probably for newer video cards, am I right or not?

    You could be right. I use the 77.72 with the 6800 and haven't had any
    problems.

    "Strider" <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote in message

    >>> A lot of time it depends on which video card you have. Sometimes
    >>> nvidia breaks support for the card in the driver release.
    >>>
    >>I'm still using 6.1.7.7 and don't think I'm gonna update since I'm
    >>having good luck. :)
    >>Don't they say........unless you're having problems, don't update. The
    >>later updates
    >>are probably for newer video cards, am I right or not?
    >
    > You could be right. I use the 77.72 with the 6800 and haven't had any
    > problems.

    I'm using the 77.89 with no issues, however, I have in the past gotten
    drivers that reeked havoc. The thing is to make sure that you have the
    previous version of the drivers *before* you install new ones. Uninstall the
    old ones, reboot then install the new ones. If things go wrong repeat
    procedure by uninstalling the new ones, reboot and install the old ones.

    I have NVIDIA 6800 and I'm still using 6.1.7.7.
    I tried updating it once and had problems, no problems with the above, so
    why update?
    "If it's not broke, don't fix it".
    Seems every time I update anything it causes some kind of problem. That
    includes some of the Microsoft Windows Updates... Just got a notice there's
    a new update from them! Have to check it out and see if I really NEED it.
    Sage

    "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >I have NVIDIA 6800 and I'm still using 6.1.7.7.
    > I tried updating it once and had problems, no problems with the above,
    > so why update?
    > "If it's not broke, don't fix it".
    > Seems every time I update anything it causes some kind of problem.
    > That includes some of the Microsoft Windows Updates... Just got a
    > notice there's a new update from them! Have to check it out and see if
    > I really NEED it.
    > Sage

    Thanks Sage, that makes me feel better as I have an older video card
    than yours.
    Yes, that's what I've heard too......."If it's not broke, don't fix it".
    Thanks for posting!!

    Betty

    > "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >>I have NVIDIA 6800 and I'm still using 6.1.7.7.
    >> I tried updating it once and had problems, no problems with the above, so
    >> why update?
    >> "If it's not broke, don't fix it".
    >> Seems every time I update anything it causes some kind of problem. That
    >> includes some of the Microsoft Windows Updates... Just got a notice
    >> there's a new update from them! Have to check it out and see if I really
    >> NEED it.
    >> Sage
    >>

    > Thanks Sage, that makes me feel better as I have an older video card than
    > yours.
    > Yes, that's what I've heard too......."If it's not broke, don't fix it".
    > Thanks for posting!!
    >
    > Betty

    I really wish there were some documentation with all of these drivers that
    would tell us Why we need them and What For?
    Does my old one have a flaw, (even if I don't notice) will a new one fix
    that?
    Another thing I don't understand is WHY they keep putting out new drivers?
    I hope someone who knows more than I do, can explain this to us.
    You're welcome, Betty...
    Sage

    > "Betty" <cyberbg2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have NVIDIA 6800 and I'm still using 6.1.7.7.
    >>> I tried updating it once and had problems, no problems with the above,
    >>> so why update?
    >>> "If it's not broke, don't fix it".
    >>> Seems every time I update anything it causes some kind of problem. That
    >>> includes some of the Microsoft Windows Updates... Just got a notice
    >>> there's a new update from them! Have to check it out and see if I really
    >>> NEED it.
    >>> Sage
    >>>

    >> Thanks Sage, that makes me feel better as I have an older video card than
    >> yours.
    >> Yes, that's what I've heard too......."If it's not broke, don't fix it".
    >> Thanks for posting!!
    >>
    >> Betty
    >
    > I really wish there were some documentation with all of these drivers that
    > would tell us Why we need them and What For?
    > Does my old one have a flaw, (even if I don't notice) will a new one fix
    > that?
    > Another thing I don't understand is WHY they keep putting out new drivers?
    > I hope someone who knows more than I do, can explain this to us.
    > You're welcome, Betty...
    > Sage

    Usually to make the card do the things that game designers create <G>. If
    you notice more crashes or blue screens it maybe video related, especially
    if you installed new software or even updated windows. If you don't notice
    these things and especially if your card isn't recent then updating isn't
    necessary.

    The recent windows updates are security fixes. Usually a good idea to do
    these.

    > "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Betty" <cyberbg2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> Thanks Sage, that makes me feel better as I have an older video card
    >>> than yours.
    >>> Yes, that's what I've heard too......."If it's not broke, don't fix it".
    >>> Thanks for posting!!
    >>>
    >>> Betty
    >>
    >> I really wish there were some documentation with all of these drivers
    >> that would tell us Why we need them and What For?
    >> Does my old one have a flaw, (even if I don't notice) will a new one fix
    >> that?
    >> Another thing I don't understand is WHY they keep putting out new
    >> drivers?
    >> I hope someone who knows more than I do, can explain this to us.
    >> You're welcome, Betty...
    >> Sage
    >>

    > Usually to make the card do the things that game designers create <G>. If
    > you notice more crashes or blue screens it maybe video related, especially
    > if you installed new software or even updated windows. If you don't
    > notice these things and especially if your card isn't recent then updating
    > isn't necessary.

    OH, thank you! My card is not a year old yet and I've had no trouble, So
    Far...
    So I can just ignore the updates unless I have a problem with my game?

    > The recent windows updates are security fixes. Usually a good idea to do
    > these.

    I just did download the windows updates, haven't played yet but haven't had
    a lot of problems with windows so I assume these will be ok too.
    With your explanation, I understand... I used to think I was Missing
    something by not updating Every Thing!:-o
    I HOPE I don't have to deal with NIVIDEA updated drivers when Nightlife
    comes out.
    Thank you Very much, Janice... There are so many Smart people here, like
    you. You are all appreciated.
    Sage

    > "janice" <noway@nohow.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Betty" <cyberbg2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>> I really wish there were some documentation with all of these
    >>> drivers that would tell us Why we need them and What For?
    >>> Does my old one have a flaw, (even if I don't notice) will a new one
    >>> fix that?
    >>> Another thing I don't understand is WHY they keep putting out new
    >>> drivers?
    >>> I hope someone who knows more than I do, can explain this to us.
    >>> You're welcome, Betty...
    >>> Sage
    >>>

    >> Usually to make the card do the things that game designers create
    >> <G>. If you notice more crashes or blue screens it maybe video
    >> related, especially if you installed new software or even updated
    >> windows. If you don't notice these things and especially if your
    >> card isn't recent then updating isn't necessary.
    >
    > OH, thank you! My card is not a year old yet and I've had no trouble,
    > So Far...
    > So I can just ignore the updates unless I have a problem with my game?
    >
    >> The recent windows updates are security fixes. Usually a good idea
    >> to do these.
    >
    > I just did download the windows updates, haven't played yet but
    > haven't had a lot of problems with windows so I assume these will be
    > ok too.
    > With your explanation, I understand... I used to think I was Missing
    > something by not updating Every Thing!:-o
    > I HOPE I don't have to deal with NIVIDEA updated drivers when
    > Nightlife comes out.
    > Thank you Very much, Janice... There are so many Smart people here,
    > like you. You are all appreciated.
    > Sage

    I agree Sage, I've learned more about computers in this newsgroup than
    in a lot of other groups.

    I'm that way too.......I want to know WHY, WHERE, WHEN & HOW COME. LOL

    Betty

    "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

    > "janice" <noway@nohow.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Betty" <cyberbg2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>> I really wish there were some documentation with all of these drivers
    >>> that would tell us Why we need them and What For?
    >>> Does my old one have a flaw, (even if I don't notice) will a new one fix
    >>> that?
    >>> Another thing I don't understand is WHY they keep putting out new
    >>> drivers?
    >>> I hope someone who knows more than I do, can explain this to us.
    >>> You're welcome, Betty...
    >>> Sage
    >>>

    >> Usually to make the card do the things that game designers create <G>.
    >> If you notice more crashes or blue screens it maybe video related,
    >> especially if you installed new software or even updated windows. If you
    >> don't notice these things and especially if your card isn't recent then
    >> updating isn't necessary.
    >
    > OH, thank you! My card is not a year old yet and I've had no trouble, So
    > Far...
    > So I can just ignore the updates unless I have a problem with my game?

    Yep, or you install another game and it's not behaving as it should.
    Updates to drivers aren't required but they do make newer stuff behave
    better, colors better etc.

    >> The recent windows updates are security fixes. Usually a good idea to do
    >> these.
    >
    > I just did download the windows updates, haven't played yet but haven't
    > had a lot of problems with windows so I assume these will be ok too.
    > With your explanation, I understand... I used to think I was Missing
    > something by not updating Every Thing!:-o
    > I HOPE I don't have to deal with NIVIDEA updated drivers when Nightlife
    > comes out.
    > Thank you Very much, Janice... There are so many Smart people here, like
    > you. You are all appreciated.

    You're welcome. I enjoy some of the sotries of what the sims do in here.
    Granny is particularly funny.

    > "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

    >> I HOPE I don't have to deal with NIVIDEA updated drivers when Nightlife
    >> comes out.
    >> Thank you Very much, Janice... There are so many Smart people here, like
    >> you. You are all appreciated.
    >
    > You're welcome. I enjoy some of the sotries of what the sims do in here.
    > Granny is particularly funny.

    Granny wasn;t particularly funny when she changed over from Nvidea to a
    Radeon card.
    Old Nvid drivers clung on like grim death. Took a week of cussing before I
    gave up and used fdisk.
    'Fizzik! Fizzik!' the mating call of the deranged hard-drive.

    Anyway, since then, and to my amazement (and disgust) XP has just kept
    chugging along. No excuses to clear everything out and start again. Huh!
    Where's the fun in that?

    GCA

    "Granny Grumpling" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "janice" <noway@nohow.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>> I HOPE I don't have to deal with NIVIDEA updated drivers when Nightlife
    >>> comes out.
    >>> Thank you Very much, Janice... There are so many Smart people here, like
    >>> you. You are all appreciated.
    >>
    >> You're welcome. I enjoy some of the sotries of what the sims do in here.
    >> Granny is particularly funny.
    >>
    > Granny wasn;t particularly funny when she changed over from Nvidea to a
    > Radeon card.
    > Old Nvid drivers clung on like grim death. Took a week of cussing before I
    > gave up and used fdisk.
    > 'Fizzik! Fizzik!' the mating call of the deranged hard-drive.
    >
    > Anyway, since then, and to my amazement (and disgust) XP has just kept
    > chugging along. No excuses to clear everything out and start again. Huh!
    > Where's the fun in that?

    <chuckle> You always make me laugh

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:54:25 GMT, "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

    >I have NVIDIA 6800 and I'm still using 6.1.7.7.
    >I tried updating it once and had problems, no problems with the above, so
    >why update?

    In my case there was some Saitek software that told me I didn't have
    the latest video driver and it wouldn't install until I installed the
    newest driver. I don't know why because it had no problem on another
    computer with a Nvidia 6200 card and much older driver.

    >"If it's not broke, don't fix it".
    >Seems every time I update anything it causes some kind of problem. That
    >includes some of the Microsoft Windows Updates... Just got a notice there's
    >a new update from them! Have to check it out and see if I really NEED it.

    I changed my mainboard from one with VIA chipset to one with NVIDIA
    chipset, and the computer told me USB 2.0 wouldn't work unless I
    installed Service pack 1 or 2. I installed Service pack 2 and then the
    computer told me that I didn't have a video card at all anymore.
    I reinstalled Windows and this time it actually worked:-)

    However I'm going back to a mainboard with VIA chipset as the NVIDIA
    Nforce 3 isn't very stable. (Now's the time for someone to tell me
    NVIDIA is much better than VIA:-) I may be allergic to Nvidia chipsets
    as all Nforce boards I've had has been unstable.

    So Now I'll have to go through the whole procedure with installing
    windows and service packs again.

    Sigh. I hate software:-)

    OH NO! You've had a much worse time than I have... Real Horror stories.
    Much to my surprise I had no trouble with SP 1 or 2, even on my old
    computer.
    This new one came with everything except the Sims 2 installed... Whew!
    I hate software too.:) You just never know the outcome until you try it.
    This computer was set up for the Sims 2 and I have one other puzzle game.
    And that's IT!
    Sage

    > On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:54:25 GMT, "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I have NVIDIA 6800 and I'm still using 6.1.7.7.
    >>I tried updating it once and had problems, no problems with the above, so
    >>why update?
    >
    > In my case there was some Saitek software that told me I didn't have
    > the latest video driver and it wouldn't install until I installed the
    > newest driver. I don't know why because it had no problem on another
    > computer with a Nvidia 6200 card and much older driver.
    >
    >>"If it's not broke, don't fix it".
    >>Seems every time I update anything it causes some kind of problem. That
    >>includes some of the Microsoft Windows Updates... Just got a notice
    >>there's
    >>a new update from them! Have to check it out and see if I really NEED it.
    >
    > I changed my mainboard from one with VIA chipset to one with NVIDIA
    > chipset, and the computer told me USB 2.0 wouldn't work unless I
    > installed Service pack 1 or 2. I installed Service pack 2 and then the
    > computer told me that I didn't have a video card at all anymore.
    > I reinstalled Windows and this time it actually worked:-)
    >

    > However I'm going back to a mainboard with VIA chipset as the NVIDIA
    > Nforce 3 isn't very stable. (Now's the time for someone to tell me
    > NVIDIA is much better than VIA:-) I may be allergic to Nvidia chipsets
    > as all Nforce boards I've had has been unstable.
    >

    > So Now I'll have to go through the whole procedure with installing
    > windows and service packs again.
    >
    > Sigh. I hate software:-)

  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2,alt.games-the-sims (More info?)

    77.72 has a bug while playing DVD movies... makes pastel colors on your
    movies... definitely ban this version :)

    77.77 has released out :)
    "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    yDSAe.147311$x96.11195@attbi_s72...

    > "Wesley" <Wesley@kissofthelord.com.de> wrote in message
    >> For Nvidia video card users. 71.89 not good for SIMS 2 - bad bug with
    > girl
    >> default hairs as the hair would cover whole face.
    >>
    >> 77.72 is horrible - SIMS 2 run very stutterly with broken texture and
    > bend
    >> on sims body thus make very slow...if you look hard.
    >>
    >> Now, I use 77.80 BETA from GURU3D
    >>
    >> Seem very good and noticed smoothly...
    >>
    >> I remember use 66.93 no problem
    >>
    >> Anyway for SIMS 2 users don't use 71.89 or 77.80 = very bad driver from
    >> Nvidia :(
    >>

    > I'm running 77.72 with no real problems. I still occasionally get the
    > sims
    > who freeze and shake, but not often.
    >
    > Jeanie

Sims Games Nvidia Video Games