Upgrade from GA-MA69GM-S2H

Okay, since i've decided to upgrade my current system, i discovered that my current motherboard doesn't run AM3 processor, since i was planning to buy a Phenom II X4 955. Also, i'm going to buy a ATI HD5850 to replace old GPU

Current system:
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
8800GT 512mb
AMD X2 5600+ 2.81GHz
4gb ddr2 800mhz RAM
Corsair 520w PSU

So i'm looking for a not too expensive motherboard, since i'm already spending a lot on CPU and GPU.

As i might upgrade to CrossFire later on, it would be nice if the board supported that, though i'd appreciate suggestions both with and without.

Thanks in advance
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrade ma69gm
  1. I confused, which is your current motherboard:

GA-MA69GM-S2H or
    GA-MA78GM-S2H

For what its worth, both will run AM3 processors. I ran a Phenom II X4 on my GA-MA69GM-S2H until I upgraded to a GA-MA785G-UD3H.
  2. Sorry, it's a GA-MA69GM-S2H, and are you sure you could run it? Since it doesn't support AM3
  3. Yeah I'm sure. My Phenom wasn't even listed on the Gigabyte website supported list. AM3 processors are backwards compatible with AM2/AM2+. You just need to make sure you have the latest BIOS, though I don't think a 140W Phenom may not work because of the power requirements.

I know of one other guy that is running a Phenom II X4 945 on that board too. Maybe purchase your CPU, if it doesn't work then get a motherboard. There's no harm in trying and you might save some money.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards