Sign in with
Your question

Best usage for 30GB SSD

Last response: in Storage
May 24, 2011 6:13:31 PM

Hi Guys,

Just about to pull trigger on a Cyberpower system and they are throwing in a Kingston 30GB SSD as part of their Memorial Day sale. I asked them if they would make this a boot drive, but was told that this SSD would be to small and they don't recommend making it a boot drive.

So my question now, and please keep in mind that I am a total SSD newb, what would be the best usage for this drive?

Thanks everyone!

More about : usage 30gb ssd

May 24, 2011 6:46:08 PM

Thanks JohnnyLucky,

Unfortunately not, I picked the GigaByte GA-870A as my motherboard. CPU is a AMDPhenom II X4 965 and GPU is Nvidia GTX560, HDD is a 750GB 6.0G/bs 64MB Cache 7200RPM (does not specify brand).

This will be my gaming/family rig (i.e. itunes, vids, etc.).

Any other ideas how to best use the freebie 30GB SSD?

Thanks again!

JohnnyLucky said:
Is your new Cyberpower system equipped with a new Intel Z68 based notherboard? If so, then you could use the 30GB ssd as a cache.

Here is a link to a review that explains it:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4337/z68-ssd-caching-with...

m
l
Related resources
a c 290 G Storage
May 24, 2011 7:06:42 PM

You could try installing Windows 7 and a web browser on the ssd. That's going to be about it. Not much room left for anything else.

You could try using the ssd for your most favorite game. If you want to play a different game you could swap games between your ssd and your hard drive.

If you use Adobe photo products you could try using the ssd as a scratch disk.
m
l
May 24, 2011 7:25:10 PM

Thanks again!

Probably an incredibly stupid question but, if I were to put Win7 on there, would that not make it the boot drive? Any idea why Cyberpower would advise against that?

All your help is very much appreciated!

JohnnyLucky said:
You could try installing Windows 7 and a web browser on the ssd. That's going to be about it. Not much room left for anything else.

You could try using the ssd for your most favorite game. If you want to play a different game you could swap games between your ssd and your hard drive.

If you use Adobe photo products you could try using the ssd as a scratch disk.

m
l
a b G Storage
May 24, 2011 7:37:39 PM

They advise against it because having a 30gb windows boot drive requires a lot of tweaking and document moving to keep the boot partition from filling up. Unless you are determined to do this work I would advise against it too.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 24, 2011 7:38:41 PM

"Use the ssd as a scratch disk" I like that one.
m
l
May 24, 2011 7:52:57 PM

You guys rock :bounce: 

Thanks for the help! I'll just keep the SSD in reserve for Diablo III ;) 
m
l
a b G Storage
May 25, 2011 5:33:16 AM

With Windows 7, SP1, drivers, all updates, AV programs and a few small utilities on it I am using 16GB of my 80GB Intel X25-M G2 SSD.

So you can do it for now I would assume. Probably will have to do it after the fact.
m
l
!