_cYx

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Hello!!! I'm just asking if what more worth-it to buy. A Athlon II X4 620 or a Phenom II X2 550.

Price is like $3 difference in our place and i'm kinda confused about this. Does extra 2 cores beats a 6 Mb cache?

Here are info i gathered.

Athlon II X4 620 Runs @ 2.8 GHz with 2MB Cache.
Phenom II X2 550 Runs at 3.1 Ghz with 6MB Cache.

BTW Phenom 550 is Black Edition.

Thanks....

sub mesa

Distinguished
Dualcore will be faster in games, quadcore will be faster in SMP-tasks like rendering, compressing and other tasks which use multiple threads. Some new games appear to be slightly faster with quadcores and in the future this might increase, though Black Edition CPUs can possibly overclock higher which may be an argument too.

I would go for the Phenom, but neither choice would be bad.

jennyh

Splendid
Depends on what you want it for. The 550 will be the better gamer in most games, though more and more are using multiple cores.

There is a chance of unlocking 2 more cores on the 550 BE if you buy a motherboard that has ACC. A chance, not a guarantee mind.

Don't ignore the tri-cores either, they are the best of both worlds in many ways, and I think a new one is due soon, 740 or something.

N19h7M4r3

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
forget dual cores, even phenoms... they dont have a future... and even their present aplications are sparce... i advise buying the athlon x4 620, plenty of power for your money, but it still requires a bit of aplications ready for it... the most i can tell you is you can give a look at the athlon x3 435 at 2.9Ghz its a good all around cpu, but even so i still advise the x4 620, you can squeeze Hz out of a cpu with overclock if you ever need it, but getting another core is a lot harder =p