Your question

Water Cooling Loop-I need help

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Gtx
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
October 5, 2011 2:01:00 AM

I would like to watercool 2 evga gtx 590s classified hydro copper and an i7 2600k. I was planning on using the black ice gtx 560 radiator, 2 ek multioption reservior 400, a swiftech apogee xt cpu waterblock, swiftech MCP655 pump, and aerocool 140 mm shark fans in a loop with a few y spittor fittings. I am unsure if the black ice gtx 590 with aerocool's shark fans pushing 96.5 cfm at 1500rpm and 29 db would be in my best interest? Is there better performance cfm fans at around the same noise level? Additionally, is the gtx 560 overkill or is it just not enough(would I need a few smaller radiators)? Is this enough to even cool the quad sli and i7 setup? Also, is the pump efficient enough to push water throughout the entire loop? I don't know if its called a single loop, but would using a y splitter from the pump to the gpus and the cpu and a y splitter back from the gpus and cpu to the radiator be alright? Would it be more beneficial that just running a tube to the graphics card and then the cpu (no y splitter), where warm water would run from the gpu to the cpu? I need help with setting up a loop. Please try to answer my questions. Let me know how you would do it and why. Cost is not a factor. Performance is the key factor I am looking at.

More about : water cooling loop

a c 190 K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 4:41:21 AM

Wall of text hurting my eyes on mobile phone but I picked up 'Y-Connector' in there, drop them, everything in series
Moto
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 5:08:48 AM

yeah dont use Y splitters as any slight difference in resistance and the water will flow through the path with least resistance and you will get almost no flow through the other side.
m
l
Related resources
October 6, 2011 5:11:40 AM

Go for a single loop. The less restrictions the better. ie-try to avoid 90 degree turns or kinks.

A typical loop : Res > Pump > CPU > Rad > GPU > Res

It doesn't really matter what order you connect them because the loop will "balance" itself out when running.

Don't put in the Y connections. It will only restrict flow and will probably do more harm than good.

Use a "common sense" approach when building your loop. It's generally the best solution.

Don't forget to put in a quick release (QDC) or T junction somewhere in your loop. You will need to drain your loop at some stage.

Are you going to overclock CPU/GPU? If yes, another triple rad will help IMO.

Good luck.
m
l
a c 333 K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 1:56:38 PM

Quote:
Is this enough to even cool the quad sli and i7 setup?

No, not even with that massive rad...likely need another 360 as mentioned above. That's a lot of heat watts being produced inside that box.
m
l
October 7, 2011 1:50:24 AM

What about push and pull fans? Any benefit?
m
l
a c 333 K Overclocking
October 7, 2011 2:26:08 AM

You'll see some decent improvements with push/pull, depending on radiator and fans used. But, you need to consider that will add extra thickness to the rad setup.
m
l
a c 138 K Overclocking
October 7, 2011 2:42:50 AM

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

I use these on my radiators and they push a lot of air and are pretty quiet.

You can also use these fans if the noise level is acceptable;

If your temps are too high then you may want to use two loops although it is a little more expensive. If you use a single loop the first component you hit is the cpu then the gpu's. Also on a single loop if you want to split the loop you have to reduce the size of the tubing such as a half inch id feeding a splitter and two 3/8 " Id tubing coming out of the splitter.
I have two loops consisting of two pumps , two radiators , two resevoirs and seven of the Feser Triebwerk fans. One loop cools the cpu and the ram and the other loop cools the three Evga GTX 680 Hydro Copper 2 cards. The video cards are cooled with a 480 radiator.
m
l
October 8, 2011 2:04:27 PM

What about two 420 rads with 3 fans on an end, 3 in the middle, and 3 on the other end all flowing the same way. Will that push pull work?
m
l
October 15, 2011 2:34:43 AM

Will 9 fans and 2 420 radiators work well when all sandwiched together?
m
l
a c 333 K Overclocking
October 15, 2011 3:40:05 AM

Are you meaning a 4x120 rad when you say '420'? And no...avoid the rad sandwich...you end up with losing something like 60% of the second rad's cooling performance this way.
m
l
October 15, 2011 1:36:21 PM

No, I mean a 3x140. And what if they weren't right on top of each other, say their fans are a few inches apart, am I getting any noticeable interference then?
m
l
a c 333 K Overclocking
October 15, 2011 10:17:47 PM

If you spaced them like that, you would be better off...but why not just mount them separately of one another?
m
l
October 16, 2011 1:05:47 PM

I'm looking at a Silverstone Temjin TJ11 for my case. I don't know if I can put them anywhere else then the large bottom compartment. I don't think the drive bays are large enough to fit one.
m
l
October 22, 2011 5:34:46 PM

inzone said:

I use these on my radiators and they push a lot of air and are pretty quiet.

You can also use these fans if the noise level is acceptable;

If your temps are too high then you may want to use two loops although it is a little more expensive. If you use a single loop the first component you hit is the cpu then the gpu's. Also on a single loop if you want to split the loop you have to reduce the size of the tubing such as a half inch id feeding a splitter and two 3/8 " Id tubing coming out of the splitter.
I have two loops consisting of two pumps , two radiators , two resevoirs and seven of the Feser Triebwerk fans. One loop cools the cpu and the ram and the other loop cools the three Evga GTX 680 Hydro Copper 2 cards. The video cards are cooled with a 480 radiator.

Would love to have those fans but I can't see paying 35 bucks per.
m
l
!