Can I use these two SSD to do the SSD Caching (SRT)

xlzhsteven

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
Newegg has discount on both Kingston SSDNow V100 Series SV100S2/64GZ 2.5" 64GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) and Kingston SSDNow V+100 SVP100S2/96G 2.5" 96GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD).

96G V+100, $99.99 after rebate, $84.99 after 10%
Read: up to 230MB/s
Write: up to 180MB/s

64G V100 - $74.99 after rebate, $64.99 after 10%
Read: up to 250MB/s
Write: up to 145MB/s

Can I use these two drives for the SSD Caching?
Which one do you guys prefer?

Thanks

Solution
The 311 is 40 gigs while the others you can go up to 64 gigs (max allowed for caching.

A lot depends on usage. If a high % of your HDD request are to the same files, size should not be a big issue – In this case I’d recommend the 311. On the other hand if requests are continually changing the larger size may be more benefited.

The fact that it is an SLC SSD means that the write cycle life span is much better; again this could be important if the cache is constantly changing. If working with large jpeg photos, or large video files on a regular basis this could have an impact - BUT most should not have an issue with this.

I am facing this same question.
..(1) Just use a larger, mid performance level, SSD and put all my “smaller”...

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
You can use either one for z68 caching but the limit is 64gb. There were firmware issues with the v100. Neither drive excites me and likely neither will work much better than the other. Save $20 on the v100... Or buy the intel 311 and get better results. Haven't seen it for sale yet but hopefully it will sell for less than $100

xlzhsteven

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
issues with both V100 and V+100?
where do you buy intel 311? I can't find this model SSD at newegg
What you think of the Corsair F40? There are reviews that compare Corsair F40 with intel 311

adampower probably meant the Intel 310. It's is a mSATA form factor that comes in 40GB and 80GB capacities. It is a mini drive designed for laptops, notebooks, and netbooks. It is not for sale to the general public. So far it is only for OEM's.

The 96G V+100 is a newer version. Hopefully any issues with older models have been resolved. It is an entry level ssd for individuals on a tight budget. I ordered one two days ago just so I could experiment with real world software applications.

Here is a link to an excellent technical review of the V+100 128GB version:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4010/kingston-ssdnow-v-plus-100-review

Here's a link to another review:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1469/1/

eric4277

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
I kinda asked this before in another thread, but I am still a bit unsure. Would it be possible to get a 60 or 120gb SSD and use it as the boot drive/apps. And get another SSD, say the intel 311 and use it for SRT with a HDD in the same system using the other SSD as a boot?

Basically, can I have one SSD for boot and another for caching?

^ Yes, You can use both - one as your Boot drive and the 2nd for caching the HDD. For the caching of the HDD you need a Z68 MB.

On Size, I would recommend the 120 Gig. While you can fit everything on the 60, you will probably wish you had gotten the 120 down stream. Like may, with time it seems you need a larger belt for the waist.

eric4277

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Yeah, that is what I was thinking. I was concidering the Agility 3 120gb for boot( or another brand if others show up soon, I don't like OCZ much.) And the intel 311 for SRT, but I also found this Adata 64gb ssd which has better read/write speeds than the 311 and is cheaper. But it is MLC and not SLC. Which would be the better buy?

The 311 is 40 gigs while the others you can go up to 64 gigs (max allowed for caching.

A lot depends on usage. If a high % of your HDD request are to the same files, size should not be a big issue – In this case I’d recommend the 311. On the other hand if requests are continually changing the larger size may be more benefited.

The fact that it is an SLC SSD means that the write cycle life span is much better; again this could be important if the cache is constantly changing. If working with large jpeg photos, or large video files on a regular basis this could have an impact - BUT most should not have an issue with this.

I am facing this same question.
..(1) Just use a larger, mid performance level, SSD and put all my “smaller” files on it such as word docs, spreadsheets, and pdf files. In this case I would not have to be concerned if it is in the Cache – Remember, if not in cache, speed is based on HDD solely. I’m not a gamer, But if I was I’d put several of the Maps/table for the games most often played on it.
..(2) If going the cached route – well then what I said above would come into play. I’d probably go with the 311 due to “Intel” reliability and the fact that it is SLC.
..(3) Most probable – Agility 3 for Boot/programs. Reuse a 128 gig SSD from Laptop that I’m planning on replacing as outlined in (1), and get the 311 to augment a 1 TB SATA II WD black HDD. Reason for the SATA 2 HDD is that SATA III HDD only improves burst speed, and the Sata II WD Black seems more reliable than the Sata III

Solution

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010

Relax Johnny. There's nothing wrong with you. If you can keep clear on the G2, G3, 510, 310, 311, 320 saga... then there's something wrong with you. Don't get me started on Kingston boot 30,v100,v+100, crucial m4, c400?

Adam

eric4277

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
The intel 311 is only 20gb. I may go with it though, since it is SLC and made for caching. I don't really see the need of maximizing the cache drive capacity, it is just the read/write speeds I am concerned with. If intel released a 40gb model I would get it.

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Interesting development in SRT information. The 'dream' setup of having a boot ssd and storage based hdd/ssd is perhaps a waste of a caching disk.

PCSTATS reviewed a gigabyte z68 mobo and came up with this statement regarding SRT.

"Incidently, if you have more than one hard drive installed on your computer system, say for example with programs installed to the secondary non-OS drive, applying Intel SRT to accelerate the non-boot volume will have little impact according to PCSTATS' tests."

Here's the page from their review. http://www.pcstats.com/articleview [...] 594&page=3

FYI this review also found that a mobo with no connection (vga or otherwise) to the onboard IGP will NOT ALLOW LUCIDLOGIX VIRTU TO WORK. Ouch. It will not load virtu and therefore will not use the igp to accelerate transcoding! Just sayin' it's something to watch for.

mnhoff

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

Hi Adampower

I have a question for you...I heard that the ASUS z68 deluxe proved the rumour stated in the PCSTATS article you mentioned above wrong, that Quick Sync will work without direct connection to the onboard IGP:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z68a-gd80-p8z68-deluxe-z68xp-ud5,3025-4.html

Does this mean that they screwed up the 1st bit too? I am wondering if getting the Intel 311 for caching the HDD and then later getting an SSD for OSboot/apps makes any sense....

Thanks
Mike