Hello guys, I have a Video Card Problem...(Fallout 3)

BluFlamze

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
Hello, I have recently bought Fallout 3... Well; here are the specs first:

Type of Computer: Laptop/Toshiba Satellite L305D S5895
If any of you know "can you run it?", well, here are their minimum requirements:

CPU
Minimum: 2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
You Have: 2 processors running - AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 PASS
CPU Speed
Minimum: 2.4 GHz
You Have: 2.00 GHz Performance Rated at 4.20 GHz PASS
System RAM
Minimum: 1GB System RAM (XP)/ 2GB System RAM (Vista)
You Have: 2.9 GB PASS
Operating System
Minimum: Windows XP/Vista
You Have: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 32-bit (Build Service Pack 16001) PASS
Video Card
Minimum: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 256MB RAM (NVIDIA 6800 or better/ATI X850 or better)
You Have: ATI Radeon X1250 () FAIL: Sorry, your video card does not meet this minimum requirement.
Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card Video RAM: Required - 256 MB , You have - 1.3 GB
Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes , You have - Yes
Video HW Transform & Lighting: Required - Yes , You have - Yes
Vertex Shader Ver.: Required - 2.0 , You have - 2.0
Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 2.0 , You have - 2.0

Video Card Driver Version (DirectX)
Your driver version number is: 7.14.10.517 FYI: Your video card driver version is provided for your information, but it is not part of this analysis. But proper video card driver versions are important to the proper operation of your product.
Sound Card
Minimum: Yes :sol: :sol:
You Have: Speakers (Realtek High Definiti PASS
Sound Card Driver Version
Your driver version number is: 6.0 FYI: Your sound card driver version is provided for your information, but it is not part of this analysis. But proper sound card driver versions are important to the proper operation of your product.

Now First: I want to know if my laptop can change the video/graphics card or if im completely screwed, XD
Second: I want to know what kinds of video cards are around $50-$150 that are mid-great to HELLA AWESOME!
Third: I prefer people who play fallout 3 to answer this question, because thats why I want this Graphics Card...
Fourth: My Current Video Card sucks balls on Fallout 3... Anyway... Thanx everyone! :sol:

darkvine

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
1) You can't change your laptops card, your stuck with it.
2)If you mean for laptop then see #1 if you mean for desktop I would suggest the Radeon HD 4870 for that price range.
3)I have played it both on my laptop and desktop.

BluFlamze

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
ok... but today I went to Best Buy and they said you CAN replace it, it's just VERY hard to replace and if you mess up, the computer might be harmed... Gee, I don't know who to trust; people i don't even know or people that are trained for this stuff.

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Depending on the laptop it is possible. However 1. you need to know how to solder very small connections 2. you need to find another mobile GFX chip with the same pinouts (you cant get these in retail stores) which basically means buying another laptop with the GFX card you want already in it or having a buddy who works very high up at dell or something. 3. Even after all this there's no guarantee whatsoever that it's going to work.

Best Buy fails again, they really shouldn't have told you it was replaceable.

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
That wont work, he has an integrated GFX chip. You'd have to be stupidly lucky to have the gfx card connector, heat sink and physical room in the laptop for that to work.

darkvine

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
That is why I said it isn't possible. It could be done but even someone highly trained could mess it up easily. It isn't worth your whole laptop dying. I wasn't even sure if some place like Geek Squad (as you said Best Buy) even did that sort of work given the risk.

1) some laptops have an XMX slot for GPU's, i don't thin the radeon x1250 was one of them (usually higher end laptop video cards)

2) $50-$150, even if you magically do have an mxm slot, the gpus will cost at least $300 (since they don't make low end MXM cards)

note: MXM has many different revisions that are not compatible

3) i play it occasionally since someone left their copy at my house and no one has claimed it (in 4 months)

4) yeah, the X1250 does suck, though my laptop has a X1600 pro which can actually play crysis at low with 45fps

5) if you really want to play games, get about $750-$1500 (depends how much you want to spend) and make a desktop, not get one, order parts and put it together (we can help you pick out the parts) and its really not that hard to do (i think you could train monkeys to put computers together, or at least some peoples 8 year old brother)

BluFlamze

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
Ugh... So you guys are saying that it would be a 2/10 to replace the graphics card... or I should just buy a sweet desktop with a great graphics card? OK, I guess you can call me screwed... lol... anyway, thanks you guys...

OMFG !! :lol:

I laughed so hard at that last line, because I wasn't sure whom you thought fit into which category, as both seem to fit into the former, and neither into the latter.

Yes, you're unfortunately screwed, and yes I've played it both on laptop (my Fujitsu) and desktop.