High Pitch Noise from PSU fan

d_tale

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Hello everyone,

I’ve ordered a new PC recently which kept on rebooting randomly so they sent me a brand new one... the cheap PSU was replaced with a –still cheap but better - powercool 650W one, the system is now stable but :)( ) there's this continuous high pitch noise coming from the PSU...

It gets much worse when I play a game...the noise changes tone everytime i resize a window, open an application or generally move the mouse, but it never stops... the supply is brand new and works fine so far but ,as you can imagine, listening to this high pitch fan noise 24/7 gets on my nerves.

PS - I started windows on safe mode and the sound disappeared... then it was back when i restarted on normal mode. I'm not sure if it's the fan or not but i was wondering if anyone has similar experiences / suggestions? shall I just ask for a new PSU :??:

Thanks in advance...

K.

DennisE

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Did you ever figure out what it was? I am having a high pitched noise from the PSU... but it is only at the start up and it is correlated with the monitor...

d_tale

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
It was the cheap PSU as dadiggle correctly pointed out... I bought a brand new Corsair modular 650W PSU, installed it myself and sorted out everything... Worth the money plus they usually come with 5 years warranty.