Amd 620 Bent pins from new :( Need Advice

liamthepirate

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Hey guys i got a amd upgrade gamer kit and i opened and looked i saw that there was maybe 5-6 pins bent and lying over to the side in on corner.

I rang the place i bought it from and they say that i cant get a replacement because it was damaged by the user but i dont remember damaging it. So iv accepted im not getting it replaced now :/ the company was komplett.ie

He gave me a number for amd and it wasnt even them it was like barcleys credit card company or somthing ?

Was wondering is there any where that repairs them or should i try and straighten the few pins that are slightly bend with a tweezers maybe or somthing?

What should i do

Thanks guys

liamthepirate

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
No there not flat theres like two that are bent a little more than the rest and the rest the nare just lying over it looks repairable but i wasnt sure. Any other thing i could use? I read of people using a razer blade or even a credit card?

Also do i need to use thermal paste when fiting the cpu? or does amd athlon 620 come with it applyed or does it have a thermal pad on the cooler?

Thanks

liamthepirate

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008

one more thing sorry is it ok to have the mobo sitting on the table on the foam stuff it came in in the box and connect everything up to it just to see if its working because i havnt got a case yet?

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008

As long as you're grounded you won't damage anything. Don't handle it by the pins though.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Yes, you can put a motherboard on the foam or just the cardboard if you want for testing puposes. Just make sure you're grounded or discharge any static in your body before you touch the mobo. All you need to do to discharge yourself is to touch something metal like your case or something. And I second sturm's suggestion of using a .5mm mechanical pencil to straighten the bent pins of your CPU. It's the only method I use to straighten bent pins. It's the safest method I know.

liamthepirate

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Ok thanks guys i eventually got them straightened up pretty ok so they fitted in to the socket.. I used a blade and a tweezers to try straight the pin out if it was bend in the middle and they moved it with the blade..was tricky business need a stedy hand :)

Thanks guys !
This Prob solved for me :)