RAID or Single SSD units ??

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Is it best to buy 4 x 250 GB SSD's and run them non-RAID or as a RAID and can one of you explain why or better why is RAID so popular?

My budget is in the $300 to $600 range if that helps..

I could go with 2,3 or 4 SSD's if that helps you to assist me.,

thanks folks.

RAID 0 almost doubles your read and write performance.

But 4x250 for 1TB of space is total overkill. And costly.

I'd get 2x60-64GB SSD, SATA III if mobo supports it (i.e. Intel Z68 chipset), set them in RAID 0. Then get a huge HDD for data/media.

Writing and rewriting data to an SSD degrades the drives over time. Windows, apps, and games will LOAD faster, but not run faster.

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008

MY GOAL was for a total storage of 1.0 to 2.5 TB of storage in either SSD or HDD, So woud RAID makes things faster? If so, is it faster to be 2,3,4 or do the number of discs have no bearing in that decision ??

thank all
Love , fellow comp user

p.s. The high storage needs is because I like to store entire seasons of TV shows like 3 seasons of Deadwood or 8 seasons of Cheer,,,man does add up quickly

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008

Do they sell HDD's bigger than 3 TB yet?

I did the calculation and I'm the need for something just north of the 12 to 15 TB hard drive storage.

I deplore playing back videos from a DVD or Blu-ray. I must be unlucky even with 8 GB RAM I get skipping and catching up, miss-matched video/udio, but on the HDD it's absolutely perfect.

Any help in these matters from anyone is appreciated.

thanks

Over on the professional/scientific/business side of the market there are references to a petabyte drive which is the next step above terabyte. Although patents have been issued, it is still all theory. They're years away from mass production.

I have a friend who downloads movies. Last count he had over 1,200 films in his collection. I asked him if he watched all the movies and he said no. He just has them in case anyone comes over and wants to watch a movie. The irony of it is that when the guys go over to my friend's place it is to watch live sports broadcasts on my friend's 60 inch high definition television. :pt1cable:

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145472

3TB HDD

Honestly if you have 10TB+ worth of files you want to keep in storage, I suggest getting an EXTERNAL drive. The number of ports and space available on the motherboard/case is limited. Also if you have 10TB+ worth of movies, TV shows, music, etc. wouldn't you want to be able to move it around. Maybe to a bigger TV in the house, or a friend's house, etc.

There are very small box-like computers that JUST house hard drives in RAID format. They can pretty much get as big as 15-20TB+.

For example
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822165287
Is a 6TB external hard drive cage with USB 3.0 support. When you want to watch your shows on your computer just hook it up to your tower. If you want to download things and move it to a big screen or a friend's house, just take the cage and connect it wherever.

20TB of space INTERNALLY is just a waste of space imo. Rather just keep internal hard drives small + performance.

EDIT: haha just saw this ad after I left this topic.
http://www.droboworks.com/?source=GRM&gclid=CIvBg_24iakCFQQ-bAodwmckpg
Get a free ipad 2 :p

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008

RATS my UD3P is only SATA II

But the rest of yur post is being kept.

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008

Petabte is a 1,000 TB or a 1,000 XB?