5600+X2 Bottlenecks.. what?

G

I have a 5600+X2 processor and I need to know how high I can go before it bottlenecks to the point it's not worth it. I've had a HD4850 which did nicely until it crapped out (I live in the UK, can I RMA it or something?)

I've been looking at the Nvidia side of things because all the decent ones come with Batman (which I was going to buy anyway so the end result is cheaper.

So what do I get? I've been looking at the GTX 260 but if a 275 won't be bottlenecked I'll get that.

Bear in mind I'm using a 26" Monitor so I play on 1920x1080.

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
At 1080p with a lower end dual core like yours, you can safely bet that the GTX275 is going to be the upper range of what wont be 100% bottle-necked by your CPU. That said, you probably would start to see diminishing returns on anything higher than a 4850.

What cpu socket is your motherboard? If its an AM2, then you can upgrade the processor later on, in which case getting the most powerful card you can now would be a good idea. If it's a socket 939, then personally I'd probably get another 4850 or even 4770.

About the returns, where did you buy it from, when did you buy it, which manufacturer, and has it been overclocked?

Edit: Just read the thing about the batman game, if you cant return the 4850, and you're serious about buying the game.. then ignore my comment about the 4770/4850.

G

I bought it from PC World about a year ago, they didn't have any left in an actual box so I'm left with the box minus the outer packaging it normally comes with. It's Sapphire.

It's an AM2 motherboard, but not a fantastic one. Down the line I'd likely upgrade the CPU first (within a couple of months) and the motherboard a year later.

100% serious. I completed it at friends house on PS3 but I feel it's necessary to support the developers that little bit for making a solid PC release and a solid superhero game.

If I was to upgrade my CPU now to a Phenom II, around the budget of £100 what're my options?

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Around a hundred pounds you could probably get a phenom II X2 BE, or an X3 BE... not really sure on the prices out there, can we get a link to a website you would be using?

You could try giving sapphire a call or email and see what they say about returning it. http://www1.sapphiretech.com/us/support/selectregion.php this is the best link I could find to email them with.

If you are able to upgrade to an X3 or even X4, then the more you can spend on a GFX card the better.

G

Had a look around ebuyer and novatech for an X4 (I don't like frequent upgrades) and I'd be looking at £150, also looked at my mobo and it won't support a Phenom II so that'd be another £100 and I'm not able to spend all that plus another £100-150 for a GPU right now so I'll wait on the mobo/cpu upgrade for a few months.