RAM Problem Corsair

G

Hello all :hello:, ok i have 2gb of RAM and its this one [Corsair CM2X1024-6400C5DHX] 800MHZ 1GB x2, so i got two of them, so i decided to buy another 2gb of RAM and i choose this one [Corsair CM2X1024-8500C5D] 1066MHZ 1GB X2,

now when i put all 4 into the slots and powered up the computer i got a long beep RAM problem, took out the old RAM and put in the new RAM and got the same beeeep computer wouldn't even power up! put back in the old RAM and it powered up, i have no idea whats up with this RAM.

Is it incompatible with my mobo? strange.

Motherboard: nforce 780i SLI

Quad Core 2.66Ghz

Windows XP

Ive tryed setting the FBS to 1066 and still beeeping on me

If anyone got any tips hit me up man thanks

G

also the old RAM has this timing, 5-5-5-18 and the new has 5-5-5-15 if that helps

Also the Voltage on the new modules is 2.1 Volts while the old ones are 1.8 Volts - so they most likely will not work with each other since the Ram slots can only be set to 1 voltage for all of the slots - the reason the new ones will not work is probably that the Voltage is too low !

G

i changed the voltage to 2.25 and still the same any other ideas? how high should the voltage be?

G

i got the new RAM too work now on its own, but when i try adding the old RAM it gives the beep, i changed the timings and the voltages to fix the new ones, but why dont the old one work aswell?

Because it is too much voltage for the old ones - since you bought 2 sets that do not match you can only use one or the other - the old ones are rated to need 1.8Volts and the New ones are rated to run on 2.1Volts and the MOBO can only provide one or the other to all slots. (you might be able to get them both working at a slower speed at a lower voltage - somewhere near 1.8Volts but some memory will still not work even at lower speeds with less Voltage and trying to run your old modules at 2.1 Volts may cause them to overheat and burn out !)

Best bet would br to return the new modules and buy some that match your old ones (at least make sure they use the same voltage and either the same or better timings (lower) so that they can run at your old speed so you can use both sets at the same time.)

JDFan is right. You risk damage to your old ram by overvolting.

Motherboards can be very sensitive to mismatched ram, that is why ram is sold in kits.

Even if you can get it to work, the faster ram will operate at the speed of the least capable stick so don't pay extra for it.

Best to return the new ram and match your old at 1.8v.

Faster ram does not translate into better application times or fps. Perhaps 1-3%, not worth it to me. 4gb helps a bunch though, read this:
http://www.corsair.com/_appnotes/AN804_Gaming_Performance_Analysis.pdf