Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Higher CPU temps with AS5

Last response: in Overclocking
October 5, 2011 2:21:28 PM

I have an i5 2500K and using the Hyper 212+ to help cool the CPU which is overclocked and stable at 4.6 Ghz. I initially used the thermal paste that came with the Hyper 212+ and got idle temps around 38-39C. I switched a few weeks ago to AS5 and temps have been about 3 degrees higher at idle and under stress testing as well. Doesn't make sense to me as I thought I could get a few degrees lower with AS5. What do you think the issue is? Thanks for your repsonses.

More about : higher cpu temps as5

Best solution

a c 99 à CPUs
a c 231 K Overclocking
October 5, 2011 2:37:25 PM

Application of thermal compound will either work for you or against you, too much is bad it acts like an insulator of the heat instead of a conductor of the heat, the least you can possibly use and make good contact is all you need.

The problem with the CMH212+ being a HDT (Heatpipe Direct Touch) type of cooler, you have to fill the voids between the copper pipes and aluminum base, an old credit card or similar tool works great at filling the voids and preparing the surface, then a very thin layer applied to the CPUs heat spreader, I emphasize a very thin layer.

The reason the HDT can be a problem is because sometimes the pipes protrude below the aluminum base, requiring more thermal compound than you really need.

Trial fitting and checking the footprint is the best way to discover just what's going on with your contacting surfaces.
October 5, 2011 3:14:46 PM

Wow Ryan, thanks for the quick and informative response. Based on your reply I believe I did not sufficiently fill the voids between the copper pipes before applying a thin coat to the CPU heat spreader. Based on the installation instructions I just applied a thin coat and ran with it. I will take it off, clean it up and then make sure I fill the voids prior to the thin coat on the CPU heat spreader. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for your response.
m
l
Related resources
a c 99 à CPUs
a c 231 K Overclocking
October 5, 2011 3:20:33 PM

If you don't fill the voids they're occupied by air, air is an insulator and a poor heat conductor.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 5, 2011 4:36:31 PM

Can't wait to hear your results. I'm wondering if the formulation of the paste supplied by the vendor, along with their specific application instructions, isn't better matched for that cooler than AS5.
m
l
a c 99 à CPUs
a c 231 K Overclocking
October 5, 2011 4:47:26 PM

If you take into consideration AS5s performance improves when cure in time is allowed, I've seen anywhere from a 2c to 5c performance improvement, and look at it's standing in my sig link Thermal Roundup, it's definitely still a contender.

Because all the thermal compounds only had a 2 hr set in time before testing, and the AS5s results were without it's required cure in time, so it's performance score would have improved over time, if it's properly applied.
m
l
October 6, 2011 3:44:02 PM

Best answer selected by jhwkfn1.
m
l
!